3 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Just wait until the one and done is taken away and the G league operates more like minor league baseball and the draft is expanded from 2 rounds to 3 or 4.

so your saying it turns into college baseball? 

2 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

so your saying it turns into college baseball? 

More 3 and 4 year players with less individual talent.

Edit:  I guess I am not qualified enough to compare it to college baseball.

20 minutes ago, Casimir said:

More 3 and 4 year players with less individual talent.

Edit:  I guess I am not qualified enough to compare it to college baseball.

I didn't mean in terms of the details of the level of play, more in the loss of revenue sense. Of course, there is an interesting question in there, which is how much college basketball's revenue will be hurt by the loss of star players. I think the conventional wisdom is that it would, be I think maybe not. One-and-done has already reduced the number of stars by 2/3 and level of play in the NCAA by half and the fans don't seem to mind. 

I guess I'd compare the comments  about the quality of play in NCAA roundball to football. The level of play in college football is worlds lower than the NFL and always has been. but it hasn't affected it's popularity. I guess you can argue that the popularity of college football may be slipping, but it's not because there have been any changes recently in the quality of play.

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

college basketball is a joke compared to the nba.  the standard of play in the nba is world's better than college.

college basketball is fun because 1) basketball can be fun to watch, and 2) people have emotional attachments to certain teams.  and the tournament is always fun.

but the level of play?  omg, college basketball is horrible.

The NBA regular season is a borefest. Half the teams are tanking, great players get their loads managed regularly and the great teams coast through the regular season. In the playoffs, the same teams win all the time. There have been some entertaining games in the playoffs but by and large, there really isn't much drama.

Yeah the NBA players are more polished (duh) and the talent level is higher (duh again) but I just find the effort level in college and competition to be more entertaining. Not to mention the crowd atmosphere which is infinitely better.

From a whole season standpoint, college basketball is more entertaining than the NBA.  The NBA is usually pretty boring until you get into the conference finals of the playoffs.

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

The NBA regular season is a borefest. Half the teams are tanking, great players get their loads managed regularly and the great teams coast through the regular season. In the playoffs, the same teams win all the time. There have been some entertaining games in the playoffs but by and large, there really isn't much drama.

Yeah the NBA players are more polished (duh) and the talent level is higher (duh again) but I just find the effort level in college and competition to be more entertaining. Not to mention the crowd atmosphere which is infinitely better.

Do hockey teams do the load management thing?  Baseball does, but that's an every day sport.  Football might hold guys out at the end of the year if they aren't worried about playoff seeding.

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

i dont get the allure of "college guys try harder" thing.  first of all, do they?  i see plenty of games where college guys arent busting their *** on defense all the time.

secondly, i like to watch skill, not a bunch of mugs running around like chickens with their heads cut off.  college basketball offense is so boring and bad to watch.  i get that some nba teams are terrible to watch (houston, hello!), but i love watching the warriors or bucks pass and move and shoot.  

i swear to god college basketball is just one missed shot after another.  i dont get the appeal of watching guys miss who might be really trying to get the rebound of those many many misses.  i mean, if trying hard is all that matters then i'll hang out at the Y for a while.

but, to each their own.

• Like 1

The west is by far the best conference.  But they are still dominating ROY teams.  And they have 3 of the top 4 picks in the draft this year.

D7HApm9WwAAIAhM.jpg

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

i dont get the allure of "college guys try harder" thing.  first of all, do they?  i see plenty of games where college guys arent busting their *** on defense all the time.

secondly, i like to watch skill, not a bunch of mugs running around like chickens with their heads cut off.  college basketball offense is so boring and bad to watch.  i get that some nba teams are terrible to watch (houston, hello!), but i love watching the warriors or bucks pass and move and shoot.  

i swear to god college basketball is just one missed shot after another.  i dont get the appeal of watching guys miss who might be really trying to get the rebound of those many many misses.  i mean, if trying hard is all that matters then i'll hang out at the Y for a while.

but, to each their own.

These are fair points but it's just something about the whole college atmosphere that draws me to it.

Outside of the Pistons when it's worth watching, I have a very difficult time watching a regular season NBA game from start to finish. 

3 hours ago, Casimir said:

Do hockey teams do the load management thing?  Baseball does, but that's an every day sport.  Football might hold guys out at the end of the year if they aren't worried about playoff seeding.

No, hockey players are tough. They play as many games as they can and a lot of times with really painful injuries. Most basketball players nowadays are delicate flowers.

15 hours ago, NYLion said:

No, hockey players are tough. They play as many games as they can and a lot of times with really painful injuries. Most basketball players nowadays are delicate flowers.

I know that's the perception, but is that the reality?

The league and players union have agreed on changing the start times for free agency.

June 29th at 6PM EST you can contact a players representative to schedule a meeting.  Those meetings can now start on June 30th at 6PM EST.