2 hours ago, Casimir said:

Well, I don't necessarily agree that diplomas are the end all be all as to who is smarter than who.

But its pretty obvious what the NBA has valued during this entire saga.

The players ***** and moan about being told to shut up and play basketball, but that's just what they want to do.  And they should be called out on it.

i dont think diplomas mean anyone is smarter than anyone else, i just thought it was a funny joke.

in fact, i definitely do NOT believe that a diploma makes someone smarter than anyone else.

i also think lebron made a calculated decision based on money.  thats smart.  but dont lecture me on how much you care about people's rights.  you dont.  

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

i dont think diplomas mean anyone is smarter than anyone else, i just thought it was a funny joke.

in fact, i definitely do NOT believe that a diploma makes someone smarter than anyone else.

i also think lebron made a calculated decision based on money.  thats smart.  but dont lecture me on how much you care about people's rights.  you dont.  

This should not be surprising, Over the years LeBron has shown himself to be a man with a narrow view of the world in a lot of respects. Sometimes that works to the good, as in his focus on doing nice things for his people in Ohio, sometimes not so much - as in now when it's clear his self interest and lack of depth on the wider world issues are pretty evident.

I think a person's education can certainly play into that in terms of their ability to put a regime like China's into some historical perspective, but that is still secondary to the degree a person feels any responsibility to his fellow humans as a citizen of the world, or not.

Kanter has been pretty outspoken against Erdogan in Turkey.  And it has cost him quite a bit.

The funny thing about Lebron and his comment.  He was radio silent for a week on the subject.  And that was the best response him and his team could come up with?

It's not like he was blindsided by the question.  He has known since this all started that he would get that question.  And that was the response they thought played well?   Yikes.  

38 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

The funny thing about Lebron and his comment.  He was radio silent for a week on the subject.  And that was the best response him and his team could come up with?

It's not like he was blindsided by the question.  He has known since this all started that he would get that question.  And that was the response they thought played well?   Yikes.  

it played well in china and that's what he cares about.  space jam 2 is coming out and he needs the chinese market to make money.  

he's not stupid.

This whole situation is both sad and hypocritical.  Personally, you might as well just take those "NBA Cares" commercials off the air.  The NBA only cares about good PR that will help them make money, and the players are clearly no different.

12 hours ago, Buddha said:

the kid with the high school diploma tells the guy with an mba from mit that he's "misinformed."  well, if lebron knows one thing, its money.

its easy to fight for justice when there are no consequences to you.

Shut up and dribble Lebron.

Seriously though, he needs to stay out of political discussion. I guess what's best for business supersedes anything else humanitarian or otherwise. He's just another corporate stooge.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Kanter has been pretty outspoken against Erdogan in Turkey.  And it has cost him quite a bit.

Nah, he's "misinformed" - Lebron probably.

The other thing I don't get about Lebron.  The story had mostly gone away, or was at least on the back burner.  Why stoke the flames now?

1 hour ago, Betrayer said:

This whole situation is both sad and hypocritical.  Personally, you might as well just take those "NBA Cares" commercials off the air.  The NBA only cares about good PR that will help them make money, and the players are clearly no different.

Yup. American corporate interests are generally deeply concerned with being perceived as positive actors on the world stage. Far fewer are specifically interested in being positive actors on the world stage.

4 hours ago, Buddha said:

1 hour ago, Betrayer said:

Everybody is aware of it.  Money over everything else.  Now the NBA and its players cannot hide from it.

23 hours ago, NYLion said:

Shut up and dribble Lebron.

Seriously though, he needs to stay out of political discussion. I guess what's best for business supersedes anything else humanitarian or otherwise. He's just another corporate stooge.

How much is too much?  Did someone convince him that the money he makes by saying what he said will supersede the bad look or the hypocrisy of his statements?

There are 2 things:

1.  He honestly thinks that saying what he is saying will be better for people because of his charities or something.

2.  Or he is simply a hypocrite.

I TRY REALLY hard to put myself in peoples shoes...you cannot REALLY do that...you can take the points of the discussion into account and then take yourself and figure what you would do.

A person making millions of dollars every year does not have the immediate threat of starvation or homelessness if their salary drops so in that respect it is EXTREMELY hard to figure out what I would do in my current situation compared to what I would do if I had his money...I am probably at this point in my life, 2-3 years away from homelessness if for some reason ALL of my incoming money was gone.

That would not happen to Lebron if he spoke up.  His % would go down, but he would still be a millionaire.

This is mainly the reason I literally lol when people use what celebrities say when it comes to "injustice" or whatever and side with them, none of them are selfless.

12 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Ha!

So the next time he wants to open his mouth about a political issue we can tell him to shut up right?

• Thanks 2

Carson Edwards had a good night.  He was available at the 30th pick that the Pistons had for a brief time. 

Why would you want to add 2 years to that **** hole.

I suppose it might make him a more viable trade candidate now that he is locked up for 4 years.

pistons begin the season $4,000 under the luxury tax.  lol.  for a team predicted to finish between 8-10 in the eastern conference.

job well done gentlemen.  well done indeed.

4 hours ago, Buddha said:

pistons begin the season $4,000 under the luxury tax.  lol.  for a team predicted to finish between 8-10 in the eastern conference.

job well done gentlemen.  well done indeed.

You are going to look silly when they grind Blake Griffins knees into a 7th seed.  Then get swept when he is too injured to play in 3 of the 4 games in the series.  

• Like 1

Kind of a bummer opening night.

Nobody ever cared about NO-TOR, even with a healthy Zion.  Stupid scheduling by the NBA.

LAC-LAL is a good one, but loses some shine without PG13 playing.

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

Kind of a bummer opening night.

Nobody ever cared about NO-TOR, even with a healthy Zion.  Stupid scheduling by the NBA.

LAC-LAL is a good one, but loses some shine without PG13 playing.

A ton of people wanted to watch Zion. He was arguably the biggest attraction in the NBA this season.

They went from a potential Kawhi vs. Zion matchup to a mid seeded eastern playoff team with no real stars and a bottom feeding Pelicans team without their only attraction. Woof