1 minute ago, Buddha said:

no one would give up picks for blake but the pistons should give up multiple first round picks for mike conley makes 0 sense.

if youre hellbound to deal for mike conley, you can do so without giving up kennard and two first round picks.  no one wants conley's contract.  if you'll take it, it wont cost you multiple first rounders.

I didn't say nobody would give up picks for Blake. In fact, I've been on this board consistently saying we should dump everyone for picks and young players and criticizing the organization for not being aggressive enough in free agency to make a deal happen even if it means taking less value in return.

Problem is, Gores won't do it. With that being the case, they need to make moves for All-Star caliber players even if it means moving draft picks. Go all in if that's the route you're taking. The alternative is being the 8 seed over and over.

2 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

I didn't say nobody would give up picks for Blake. In fact, I've been on this board consistently saying we should dump everyone for picks and young players and criticizing the organization for not being aggressive enough in free agency to make a deal happen even if it means taking less value in return.

Problem is, Gores won't do it. With that being the case, they need to make moves for All-Star caliber players even if it means moving draft picks. Go all in if that's the route you're taking. The alternative is being the 8 seed over and over.

we dont really disagree, i just dont think you need to give up multiple picks to get mike conley.  you can probably get him for reggie, leuer, and your first this year.

2 minutes ago, Buddha said:

we dont really disagree, i just dont think you need to give up multiple picks to get mike conley.  you can probably get him for reggie, leuer, and your first this year.

I'm in for that. Getting rid of Reggie and Leuer is nothing but a plus for the Pistons. Conley is worth the 15th pick since we aren't in rebuild mode anyway.

I lost the article.  But Wayne State is building a new arena (no clue why tuition is so high). According to the article, its a possibility the Pistons move the Drive out of GR and into the new arena.  

Kinda makes sense I guess.   Just not sure the Pistons want a superior team located that close to their arena.  

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I lost the article.  But Wayne State is building a new arena (no clue why tuition is so high). According to the article, its a possibility the Pistons move the Drive out of GR and into the new arena.  

Kinda makes sense I guess.   Just not sure the Pistons want a superior team located that close to their arena.  

Zing!

$25 million for an unnecessary athletic facility, and people wonder why the cost of college continues to skyrocket.

5 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

$25 million for an unnecessary athletic facility, and people wonder why the cost of college continues to skyrocket.

Its for the student-athletes.  Its for the children.  Won't someone please think of the children?

18 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

And the Drive don't even want to come to Detroit.  Though the future seems to be against them there. It appears the idea of having your D league team close enough for guys to practice with your NBA team and then play games with their D league team is the coming thing, which would eventually leave the Drive out in the cold in GR anyway.

37 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

And the Drive don't even want to come to Detroit.  Though the future seems to be against them there. It appears the idea of having your D league team close enough for guys to practice with your NBA team and then play games with their D league team is the coming thing, which would eventually leave the Drive out in the cold in GR anyway.

Which kind of sucks since housing them in separate, smaller cities gives more people a chance to see professional basketball.   I really think they would get somewhat lost in Detroit...........

12 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Which kind of sucks since housing them in separate, smaller cities gives more people a chance to see professional basketball.   I really think they would get somewhat lost in Detroit...........

it appears what the NBA wants is more a practice squad to stash unready non-collegians than a free standing minor league. Which is fine.  basketball /= baseball etc.

19 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Plus knowing part of your Wayne State tuition is being used to maintain a basketball organization that's tied to a billion dollar business isn't going to make students feel too good when Wayne State announces future tuition hikes.

2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

it appears what the NBA wants is more a practice squad to stash unready non-collegians than a free standing minor league. Which is fine.  basketball /= baseball etc.

Yeah, and that's probably a good option to have.  How many guys go over seas to play?  Why not have them attached to your organization and more readily available for development/evaluation?

I wonder if we will see a third round added to the draft?

If the Pistons reaaaaalllllly wanted the Drive closer, they'd finance their own way of making it happen.  Wayne State's new arena requires minimal financial commitment from the Pistons, and it gives Wayne State a shiny excuse to build it.

13 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

If the Pistons reaaaaalllllly wanted the Drive closer, they'd finance their own way of making it happen.  Wayne State's new arena requires minimal financial commitment from the Pistons, and it gives Wayne State a shiny excuse to build it.

Oh, no doubt.

Have them play in the Palace.

5 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

Never doubt the power of appealing to mid town hipsters who want to watch an inferior product.

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

Yeah, and that's probably a good option to have.  How many guys go over seas to play?  Why not have them attached to your organization and more readily available for development/evaluation?

I wonder if we will see a third round added to the draft?

I think we will. And I think we aren’t far from seeing a good number of players deciding to go that route rather than go to college. 

Once they get rid of the age limit, you’ll see a lot of guys do that I think, much like we see guys leave college early even when they are borderline second round picks. 

4 hours ago, Shelton said:

I think we will. And I think we aren’t far from seeing a good number of players deciding to go that route rather than go to college. 

Once they get rid of the age limit, you’ll see a lot of guys do that I think, much like we see guys leave college early even when they are borderline second round picks. 

Its hard to believe, but the draft used to go 10 rounds (at least).

I think you are right about the age limit being withdrawn.  I agree with you that, if that were the case, we'll see a lot of guys skip college altogether.  That, along with the current evolution of the G league, would make adding a 3rd round easier, one would think.

Heck, why not a 4th round?

13 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Its hard to believe, but the draft used to go 10 rounds (at least).

I think you are right about the age limit being withdrawn.  I agree with you that, if that were the case, we'll see a lot of guys skip college altogether.  That, along with the current evolution of the G league, would make adding a 3rd round easier, one would think.

Heck, why not a 4th round?

yeah - they  probably have to add at least one round to keep an anc expanded D league stocked. Whether it was two more rounds would depend on how they may change the the structure for how long guys can play there. If they end up forcing them out after a relatively small number of years so the league has high turnover, that would increase the number of rounds needed to keep it stocked.

No reason to add any rounds to the draft now.   Even the age change wont do much since you already can enter the G-League right out of high school.

As long as they keep the 17 man roster there really is no reason to add any rounds to the draft.  If they change the rules and let you actually assign more than two players to the G-League, then you will see some rounds added to the draft.

Out of all the minor leagues in professional sports, the D league is the least interesting.  NBA teams already keep their best prospects on their roster, meaning the D league is for long shot projects and AAAA players.  Removing the age limit might make the D league more interesting, as teams who draft 18 year olds will probably send more of them to their D league team for development.

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

As long as they keep the 17 man roster there really is no reason to add any rounds to the draft.  If they change the rules and let you actually assign more than two players to the G-League, then you will see some rounds added to the draft.

That seems like the logical next step if fewer potential NBA level players go to the NCAA for their development.

All of these assistants being interviewed for HC jobs and nobody contacting anyone from the Pistons.  Cant say that shocks me.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2019/05/03/detroit-pistons-point-guard-ish-smith-reggie-jackson/3638765002/

Derrick Rose is a free-agent option who will be a subject of debate within the front office, according to a source with firsthand knowledge of franchise thinking.

Coming off a resurgent season with the Minnesota Timberwolves, the one-time MVP will likely get a raise from his bargain $2.1 million salary this season.

Seth Curry is another player of interest.

Steph’s younger brother developed into a top-notch bench option for the Portland Trail Blazers.

But he is considered more of a combo guard, and there’s a belief coach Dwane Casey will ask the front office to consider a true point guard, perhaps in the mold of Jazz veteran Ricky Rubio, to take some of the playmaking load off Blake Griffin.

Rose only played in 51 games.  Doesn't seem like a good idea.  Rubio is probably even worse.  Your PG needs to be able to shoot the 3 in todays NBA.