1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

No thanks.  Russ has 4 years left on his deal (3 normal 4th player option).  

I doubt Lebron wants anything to do with him either.  Lebron likes to be surrounded by 4 shooters.

Griffin: image.png.4debfc0eda25701957a40e7126db13af.png

Westbrook:image.png.943fd30092cdcf548dc92eabb7b1d952.png

I guess I didn't realize that they were the same age (30).  For some reason I thought Westbrook was a few years younger.

I don't know.  I guess the idea was the product of Griffin being a native of Oklahoma City, so who knows if Oklahoma City would be interested to begin with.  Maybe they would look to shake things up, but then they could end up with a bit of a spacing problem with Griffin and Steven Adams.

Figure out a way to move Drummond and Jackson, acquire youth (picks and/or players) and if it costs Griffin and acquiring Westbrook (who I think could be moved), do it.

Go ahead @Hongbit, figure out the 3rd, 4th, and 5th teams to make that happen.  :ninja:

once youve actually made it out of oklahoma, i doubt youd be dying to go back.

• Like 1

$47M per season.  Good grief, I picked the wrong career.

The Value of Mike Conley: Part II - Eastern Conference “Pretenders”

Memphis receives: Reggie Jackson, Jon Leuer, Langston Galloway, 2019 1st round pick (15 overall), 2020 1st round pick (top-8 protected 2020, unprotected 2021)

Detroit receives: Mike Conley, rights to 2022 2nd round pick (from DET)

I love the smell of desperation in the morning.

This is roughly the framework of what was rumored in discussions between Memphis and Detroit. Now, the Pistons are even more interested in competing...and perhaps are more willing to pay the price.

Why Detroit does the deal: While there was a time that Reggie Jackson and Mike Conley were theoretically in the same stratosphere when it comes to ability, those days are gone. Mike is a pretty sizable upgrade comparatively speaking, and the Pistons are able to acquire that talent without giving up any of their younger players on rookie deals (Luke Kennard Thon Maker, Khyri Thomas, for example). They give up two firsts - something they are surely hesitant to do - but the 15th overall pick in this draft is “unlikely” to be a contributor to the level of a Mike Conley, and your roster with Blake Griffin should be interested in winning right now.

If Conley/Griffin/Andre Drummond is as good (theoretically) as you hope, while including a player for the mid-level exception, you should be able to be more competitive the next two seasons. That 1st round pick then should again be in the lottery in 2020, meaning you convey, and in terms of long-term picks you are not limiting yourself beyond 2021 if something goes wrong. The 2022 NBA Draft will be the earliest that the one and done rule will be eliminated. If it works the way it should? Your team is a threat in the east.

Oh, and you save roughly $2 million this season even with taking on the big Conley deal.

I think OKC would be game for a Drummond for Steven Adams trade.  Not sure this makes sense for the Pistons though.  Worth a try maybe if nothing else works out.  I don't really want to see anything close to the same team take the court for the Pistons next season.  

I have admittedly done a 180 on Conley.  Previously, I did not want any part of that contract but he was so good this year and does not appear to be slowing down with age.  I don't think Conley and Griffin really makes the Pistons a true championship contender but given the state of the franchise, I would say go for it and tank in two years when it doesn't work out.  However, I would probably prefer to give one first round pick and Kennard.  We have a glut of shooting guards with Kennard, Brown, and Thomas.  I would kind of like to see the Pistons commit to Thomas next year and see what happens.  Brown can be the backup plan.  There are not enough minutes for all three of them.  

Adams is arguable the better player, so OKC doesn't want anything to do with Andre.  But it would be glorious to see Andre and Westbrook on the same team.  Two of the most inefficient players in the entire league on the same roster?  Pick up Stanley this summer in free agency.  **** yeah.

I have no clue if Connley is the right get or not.  But I do agree if they are keeping Blake they need to cash in on these draft picks and at least take a wild, drunken swing at advancing further in the playoffs.  Trying to keep Blake + build a young team via middle of the pack draft picks isn't a good idea.  

But you don't give up Luke to do it and go with a totally unproven player like Thomas.  Luke is entering his third year and this is where he should start to really show he is a legit NBA player, if he really is one.  Trading him now would be a disaster unless it brought back some serious value, and Conley isn't it.

3 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Adams is arguable the better player, so OKC doesn't want anything to do with Andre.  But it would be glorious to see Andre and Westbrook on the same team.  Two of the most inefficient players in the entire league on the same roster?  Pick up Stanley this summer in free agency.  **** yeah.

I have no clue if Connley is the right get or not.  But I do agree if they are keeping Blake they need to cash in on these draft picks and at least take a wild, drunken swing at advancing further in the playoffs.  Trying to keep Blake + build a young team via middle of the pack draft picks isn't a good idea.  

But you don't give up Luke to do it and go with a totally unproven player like Thomas.  Luke is entering his third year and this is where he should start to really show he is a legit NBA player, if he really is one.  Trading him now would be a disaster unless it brought back some serious value, and Conley isn't it.

Trading two first round picks for old *** Mike Conley would be the definition of drunk and stupid.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Deleterious said:

I don't know that building around Griffin should be the focus as much as building a cohesive organization should be the focus.  If they plan to build around Griffin and his knee finally gives in, then what do they have?  And unless they get uber lucky with acquisition and/or development, they just aren't going to be able to bridge the gap between what they were this season and making it past the first round of the playoffs.

Can't imagine Riley being dumb enough to do this.  But when you look at the players mentioned, maybe he would since he isn't giving up anyone that important/good.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2832602-superstar-trade-targets-for-every-nba-lottery-team#slide8

Miami Heat: Blake Griffin

Primary Trade Chips: Josh Richardson, Kelly Olynyk, Derrick Jones Jr.

Losing any playoff series is deflating. But dropping four consecutive games by a total of 95 points is a reason to go soul-searching.

The Pistons' three highest-paid players are 30-year-old Blake Griffin, 29-year-old Reggie Jackson and 25-year-old Andre Drummond. Hope for internal development is either fleeting or nonexistent. That could incentivize Detroit to consider everything, including dealing Griffin, which Vince Ellis of the Detroit Free Press wrote in February would "likely be explored" at a later date.

If Miami Heat president Pat Riley sniffs a hint of desperation from the Motor City, he'll pounce to land one of his coveted white whales. Naturally, he'll also try to do so at a discount. As good as Griffin looked this season—he'll find himself on more than a few MVP ballots—he's still wildly expensive and has a frightening injury history. His latest knee problem limited him to two games and 58 minutes during the first-round sweep.

Is that enough for the Pistons to move their All-Star?

It might be if they see their early exit as evidence this nucleus is fatally flawed. While the Heat can't load up the Pistons with assets, they can help clean their financial books while providing a three-and-D standout (Richardson), a stretch big who might complement Drummond (Olynyk) and a 22-year-old ball of endless athleticism (Jones).

3 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Can't imagine Riley being dumb enough to do this.  But when you look at the players mentioned, maybe he would since he isn't giving up anyone that important/good.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2832602-superstar-trade-targets-for-every-nba-lottery-team#slide8

nope.  heat have no picks to deal and if the choice i blake or andre, i'm sure the pistons dont see andre as the guy who will lead them to the glory of winning one playoff game in round one...

giving away blake griffin for nothing just to clear salary space should not be in the pistons' plans.  even if youre tanking, a player like blake should be able to net you a couple picks and/or an interesting young player.

1 minute ago, Buddha said:

nope.  heat have no picks to deal and if the choice i blake or andre, i'm sure the pistons dont see andre as the guy who will lead them to the glory of winning one playoff game in round one...

There isn't a team in the league dumb enough to give up a pick for Blake.  🤣

Oh ****.

1 minute ago, Buddha said:

giving away blake griffin for nothing just to clear salary space should not be in the pistons' plans.  even if youre tanking, a player like blake should be able to net you a couple picks and/or an interesting young player.

I would trade him for nothing.  If he wasn't on the team they win 20-25 games are in a good spot for the draft.  That is your value by moving Blake.  If you can get more, great, and I think you probably can get a bit more.  But if not I would be fine moving him for nothing.

If we trade away draft picks and build around Blake how are we any different than the Nets when they traded away seemingly a decades worth of draft capital to the Celtics just to build around broken down Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce?

11 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If we trade away draft picks and build around Blake how are we any different than the Nets when they traded away seemingly a decades worth of draft capital to the Celtics just to build around broken down Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce?

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you.  But KG and Pierce were like 36 and 37 when those trades were made.  Conley is only 31.

I think most of us on this board would prefer the rebuild route, but we're also pretty sure that Gores is going to ram his head against a wall with this team over and over trying to make playoff dollars and push the value of the franchise. That being the case, I'll take the Conley trade over doing nothing. At least it shows they've chosen a path as opposed to the middle-of-the-road plan we got this year. I still think you have to move Drummond to make it past the first round, but you all know my thoughts on this already.

24 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Isn’t that proposed trade not allowed, Del? Giving up the 2019 and 2020 first round picks would seem to be against the rules, but I always forget the details. 

I think it's ok if they trade it after the pick is made. You just can't trade 2 consecutive future picks.

Yeah, it would have to be after the draft. Memphis would tell us who they want us to pick.

7 hours ago, Betrayer said:

I think most of us on this board would prefer the rebuild route, but we're also pretty sure that Gores is going to ram his head against a wall with this team over and over trying to make playoff dollars and push the value of the franchise. That being the case, I'll take the Conley trade over doing nothing. At least it shows they've chosen a path as opposed to the middle-of-the-road plan we got this year. I still think you have to move Drummond to make it past the first round, but you all know my thoughts on this already.

no one would give up picks for blake but the pistons should give up multiple first round picks for mike conley makes 0 sense.

if youre hellbound to deal for mike conley, you can do so without giving up kennard and two first round picks.  no one wants conley's contract.  if you'll take it, it wont cost you multiple first rounders.