Motor City Sonics

HBO Real Sports Segment on The District Detroit...

11 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I know next to nothing about skiing, yet somehow know this state does not have a peak remotely tall enough to host world class downhill skiing events.  I don't even think we have enough altitude change to host cross country skiing events.

There are some very fine competition XCountry trails in northern lower MI. (VASA). Problems is that is all there is.

35 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

About 6 of the 15 could work in the city limits, but where would you do the rest?  I am not a skier so I have no idea.  Mt Brighton, Alpine Valley, Pine Knob? 

I suggested the Winter Olympics tongue in cheek, as they match arena/stadium projects for hyped up projections. Fortunately cities have caught on and there are now few bidders in the developed world. Although to be fair, I am glad Vancouver hosted the Winter Olympics. Wasn't a money maker, MAYBE broke even, fine. But did act as impetus for government spending on a rail line from our airport to downtown as well as significant enhancements to the Vancouver-Whistler highway - money which without an Olympics probably would have been sent to Quebec instead.

2 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

- money which without an Olympics probably would have been sent to Quebec instead.

do I detect a bit of francophonophobia? Perish the thought, eh!

21 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

LOL - we are only about 2500 ft of vertical short! I think the closest Olympic class downhill ski run to Detroit would be Lake Placid NY,

I’m pretty sure that Chris Ilitch has the connections in Lansing to get public funding to build Mt. Ilitch, the worlds largest man-made skiing facility, on one of his many parcels of property downtown.    I believe there is a state fund that supports disabled child orphans that hasn’t been touched yet.  

9 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

If you go West, the big resorts in the Rockies (Colorado, Utah, BC) and Sierra's (CA, NV) all have  similar big drops, but are even more work to ski because the base altitudes tend to be much higher. 

Peak to Creek at Whistler is one run with 5200' ft vertical. 4 1/2 miles long. I believe that's the run with the most vertical in North America. Blue the entire way, although a few parts would be blacks at most resorts. If it's all groomed, my daughter bombs down in it in just under 8 minutes, although it's also possible to take up to 20-30 minutes if you go casual and/or stop for a couple of breaks. Lower half sometimes isn't groomed, so a real thigh-burner plus moguls.

1 minute ago, Hongbit said:

I’m pretty sure that Chris Ilitch has the connections in Lansing to get public funding to build Mt. Ilitch, the worlds largest man-mad skiing facility, on one of his many parcels of property downtown.    I believe there is a star fund that supports disabled child orphans that hasn’t been touched yet.  

You know they  have done that in Dubai - which is a good measure of how much stupid money it takes.  Still only 280' feet though even with Emirates money

1 minute ago, lordstanley said:

Peak to Creek at Whistler is one run with 5200' ft vertical. 4 1/2 miles long. I believe that's the run with the most vertical in North America. Blue the entire way, although a few parts would be blacks at most resorts. If it's all groomed, my daughter bombs down in it in just over 7 minutes, although it's also possible to take up to 20-30 minutes if you go casual and/or stop for a couple of breaks. Lower half sometimes isn't groomed, so a real thigh-burner plus moguls.

I have connections out in Washington now. I hope to leverage that into a chance to ski Whistler before I'm too old to do it.

28 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I tend to doubt it inhibited growth but I am skeptical it helped provide opportunity for growth as is often suggested.

I don’t really know either way. It’s hard to separate them. I think generally speaking developers like to develop things close to each other. There is the whole symbiotic nature of things. 

If the LCA area isn’t developed, it doesn’t help bridge downtown to midtown. 

It’s an anecdote, I know, but over the summer I was having dinner in midtown and there was a concert at LCA that night, and there was a lot of activity. A new bar was about to open across the street. There were multiple condo developments at various stages. 

Maybe all of that development still happens because of quicken loans and other companies setting up shop. 

Regardless, I think it’s good to have more things to do in a given area. I don’t know if Woodward and cass development happens at the same rate if LCA is built in Novi. 

19 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I don’t really know either way. It’s hard to separate them. I think generally speaking developers like to develop things close to each other. There is the whole symbiotic nature of things. 

If the LCA area isn’t developed, it doesn’t help bridge downtown to midtown. 

It’s an anecdote, I know, but over the summer I was having dinner in midtown and there was a concert at LCA that night, and there was a lot of activity. A new bar was about to open across the street. There were multiple condo developments at various stages. 

Maybe all of that development still happens because of quicken loans and other companies setting up shop. 

Regardless, I think it’s good to have more things to do in a given area. I don’t know if Woodward and cass development happens at the same rate if LCA is built in Novi. 

That stuff has been going on before the arena and is going on in other areas with no arena.  They are running out of room to the north and moving south. I’m not saying the arena is bad.  I’m saying it’s not that important for economic development.    What we see going up just N of 75 was going to happen anyway... just like it’s happening elsewhere in Detroit   

Investors (aside from Ilitch shell companies) in that area were holding on to things in anticipation of where the arena would go.  To see where they’d fit in.  

7 minutes ago, Oblong said:

That stuff has been going on before the arena and is going on in other areas with no arena.  They are running out of room to the north and moving south. I’m not saying the arena is bad.  I’m saying it’s not that important for economic development.    What we see going up just N of 75 was going to happen anyway... just like it’s happening elsewhere in Detroit   

Investors (aside from Ilitch shell companies) in that area were holding on to things in anticipation of where the arena would go.  To see where they’d fit in.  

That’s fine. It’s all speculation anyway because the hypothetical alternative didn’t happen. I know that development in those areas had already started. And I’m not saying it wouldn’t have happened without LCA being there. But I do think it has had a positive effect. 

6 hours ago, Shelton said:

They are really nice parking lots tho. At least they look nice. I prefer to just park on Cass for free. 

I park at my work lot (where the Pistons new practice facility is being built) and walk to the Q-Line and pay 3 bucks............You know, that Billion dollar Q line that merely does what buses already were doing.   

I also park in my driveway and watch on my HD TV and the beer and food is cheap and no line for the bathroom. 

These teams want too much money now.   I can enjoy it all just fine at home.   

15 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

These teams want too much money now.   I can enjoy it all just fine at home.   

Indeed. Going to a pro sporting event has become a semi-elite thing due to the costs involved. 

33 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

Indeed. Going to a pro sporting event has become a semi-elite thing due to the costs involved. 

Concerts too.  At least the big ones.    I am fortunate through my radio ties that I can get tickets to a lot of shows.      Cable TV too.   The internet is the last thing that hasn't been priced out yet.............better hold on because that's coming next.  

28 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

The internet is the last thing that hasn't been priced out yet.............better hold on because that's coming next.  

Correct. The cost to consumers for the repeal of net neutrality has yet to be realized.  It’s only a matter of time. 

Just now, Euphdude said:

Correct. The cost to consumers for the repeal of net neutrality has yet to be realized.  It’s only a matter of time. 

I do believe there will be smaller companies that offer internet at rates we pay now, but the big ones will probably get the legislatures to pass some kind of law that cripples them.     Look what radio did to internet radio............jacked up the royalty rates so much that the more successful they become the higher their rate is.    No, not the more successful they become the more they pay because more ears are listening, the actual RATE.    Signed, Sealed, Delivered by Clear Channel  and I think 3/5 of the FCC members are former Clear Channel execs, but I could be wrong on that one.