thefunk

STEVE YZERMAN IS BACK, BABY!

3 hours ago, Shelton said:

I guarantee a Stanley cup. 

let's worry about harbaugh winning the big ten before he wins a stanley cup. 

• Haha 1

Time will tell about Blashill.   I don’t put much stock in things said at the introductory dog and pony show.   

This is reminiscent of the Bowman hire.  Wing fans were sure that he was the cure for what ailed them.  He was successful and was a total can't miss, no brainer hire.  Forget Division Championships, let's start planning on those Stanley Cup Final appearances every year.  Five years later, how's that worked out?  Three Cup appearances, two lousy Cups, and a rivalry with a bunch of bastards that smashed Kris Draper's face in.

Perhaps Yzerman will have a different outcome.  I just hope that if he doesn't, Wings fans can be open minded enough to recognize it and not be satisfied with only two Cups in five years and a liquid diet for 3 months.

In all seriousness, just watching the quality of play in the play-offs, I feel they are three years away or something.

Maybe I am a pessimist.

Did anyone else hear Yzerman's comment, off-mic, that if it weren't for the Wings winning 6 straight down the stretch he would've written the Wings off as a hopeless case and never would have signed?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

In all seriousness, just watching the quality of play in the play-offs, I feel they are three years away or something.

Maybe I am a pessimist.

I think they can get in the playoffs in 2 years............and as we've seen this year, if your goalie is on a hot streak and you get the right kind of matchup,  anyone can beat anyone.  

Hard to judge how good or bad Blashill is because he hasn't had a great roster.   His young players seemed to develop a lot this year.   

How great or good was Phil Jackson?   He always had superstars.  Could he have coached the 2004 Pistons to a title?   

3 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Maybe I am a pessimist.

Making the playoffs isn't that tough in the NHL. I could see that in 2 years with a little trade activity, but if they are committed to going slow and keeping draft capital then sure - probably longer. Interesting that recently Holland was implying that he was ready to trade when he talked about them maybe having more draft picks than places for players to play. Yzerman seemed to sending the message that he is a patient builder.

Whatever - I like the process in this org moving from Jimmy D to Holland and now Holland to Yzerman. Getting guys to move upstairs and stick around when the new manager comes in can be a huge plus if everyone can get along. It's never a bad thing to have more brains around the table.

19 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

This is reminiscent of the Bowman hire.  Wing fans were sure that he was the cure for what ailed them.  He was successful and was a total can't miss, no brainer hire.  Forget Division Championships, let's start planning on those Stanley Cup Final appearances every year.  Five years later, how's that worked out?  Three Cup appearances, two lousy Cups, and a rivalry with a bunch of bastards that smashed Kris Draper's face in.

Perhaps Yzerman will have a different outcome.  I just hope that if he doesn't, Wings fans can be open minded enough to recognize it and not be satisfied with only two Cups in five years and a liquid diet for 3 months.

Bowman had actually won Stanley Cups, which is why he was brought in and was the knock against Bryan Murray.  He also was the guy that wanted to trade Steve Yzerman.

In any event, this wasn't a housecleaning, they just added an accessory. Holland is still here, so is Blashill and the rest of the scouting and management team. Had they done away with the front office staff and the coaching staff and Yzerman was indeed the Captain going forward, it would have a much different feel to it.  Will he be able to bring in Murray or Verbeek?  Would he actually fire Draper, Maltby, Fischer or Mark Howe? Will the organization suddenly abandon its loyalty policy?

While it took the Holland or ownership far too long to get on board with the rebuild, I can't really point to any horrific moves they've made since then.  They've traded the few assets they had, integrated the young players,  drafted well and not signed any over the hill, overpriced free agents.  I see that same path continuing under Yzerman.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Kacie said:

n any event, this wasn't a housecleaning, they just added an accessory.

I agree, this was more a changing of the guard than a barbarian conquest. I think Yzerman will be a bit more than an accessory though.

Yzerman is more of a trader than Holland.  I'm guessing he'll look at every player on the roster and can decide who to keep and who to trade . Not one single player or prospect other than Larkin is an untouchable, IMO.

Yzerman will trade prospects he doesn’t think are very good and trade young players due for a payday to get cheaper assets and draft picks. He won’t tread water and hope that things will turn out ok after the bad contracts expire.

On 4/19/2019 at 3:44 PM, kdog said:

He has said "it's going to take time" and asked for patience about 8 times. Almost guaranteed there won't be a free agent splash(thank god). 

So I would prepare for a few more lean years.

I’d normally agree, but when someone with talent says this stuff I think it’s the classic undersell. 

Undersell, over-deliver. Playoffs next two years, Stanley cup run by 2021-22. 

Book it.

5 hours ago, kdog said:

Yzerman will trade prospects he doesn’t think are very good and trade young players due for a payday to get cheaper assets and draft picks. He won’t tread water and hope that things will turn out ok after the bad contracts expire.

I think AA will be shopped by Yzerman. He’s one dimensional and if he loses his speed he’s likely done as an NHL player. 

5 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Yzerman is more of a trader than Holland.  I'm guessing he'll look at every player on the roster and can decide who to keep and who to trade . Not one single player or prospect other than Larkin is an untouchable, IMO.

Why make trades when every year "we like our team."

6 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Fair enough.  But I think since Holland has committed to the rebuild, he has made some really decent trades.  

It will be interesting to see what he does with AA, Mantha and Bertuzzi.  But all AA can do is score.  Maybe we can trade him for a 4th round pick who can score 30 goals.  

While Yzerman managed the cap well, he still made made some questionable long term signings in Callahan, McDonagh, Killorn, Johnson, etc.  He's not immune to handing out bad long term deals either.

4 hours ago, Kacie said:

Fair enough.  But I think since Holland has committed to the rebuild, he has made some really decent trades.  

It will be interesting to see what he does with AA, Mantha and Bertuzzi.  But all AA can do is score.  Maybe we can trade him for a 4th round pick who can score 30 goals.  

While Yzerman managed the cap well, he still made made some questionable long term signings in Callahan, McDonagh, Killorn, Johnson, etc.  He's not immune to handing out bad long term deals either.

I agree with you on Holland and I think he committed to the rebuild after Mr. I's passing which makes me believe he might not have been that bad.  Holland did have some good fortune in the draft with some guys falling, but he took advantage of that. 

Yzerman was willing to buyout or trade popular players like Lecavlier and Martin St. Louis.   I am very interested to see what he does with Ericsson.  I have always believed they stuck with him because they believed in him so blindly they couldn't admit they were wrong,  I don't think  Yzerman works that way.    I think they will probably buy out a couple of veterans and not be much of a player in Free Agency this year.......unless there is someone Yzerman knows really well and knows will work well here.  

10 hours ago, Euphdude said:

I think AA will be shopped by Yzerman. He’s one dimensional and if he loses his speed he’s likely done as an NHL player. 

I disagree.  That's a huge dimension.  He's turned the corner, especially when he moved to center.

Since he entered the league in 2015-2016, Athanasiouranks 5th (>1000 minutes) in even-strength goals scored per 60 minutes, trailing only Auston Matthews, Alex DeBrincat, Alex Ovechkin, and Vladimir Tarasenko. 

https://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2019/4/1/18286775/go-greece-lightning-evaluating-andreas-athanasious-impact-on-the-red-wings

The Kings had a similar situation with Tyler Toffoli.  He was a 2nd round draft pick that made the NHL roster when he was 21.  He pocketed 30 goals in his 3rd full season and it looked like he was going to be a stud 30+ goal scorer every year and a core member of the nucleus going forward.   Turns out that season was his high water mark and they should’ve listened to potential offers when they had the chance.  

Not saying this will be the same with AA but they should absolutely put him out and see what his value is in the market.   Maybe choose to keep him but definitely be open to moving him for the right deal.  

4 hours ago, Hongbit said:

The Kings had a similar situation with Tyler Toffoli.  He was a 2nd round draft pick that made the NHL roster when he was 21.  He pocketed 30 goals in his 3rd full season and it looked like he was going to be a stud 30+ goal scorer every year and a core member of the nucleus going forward.   Turns out that season was his high water mark and they should’ve listened to potential offers when they had the chance.  

Not saying this will be the same with AA but they should absolutely put him out and see what his value is in the market.   Maybe choose to keep him but definitely be open to moving him for the right deal.  

AA reminds me of Mike Gartner and Glenn Anderson the way he can take over with his speed.

2 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

AA reminds me of Mike Gartner and Glenn Anderson the way he can take over with his speed.

Asking for Gartner, Anderson, or even Federov might be asking a bit too much from AA. He might be in their ballpark, but I see more a single or a double than the HR with those guys...

But... he's already half-way there, so... if he could get to 75% of those guys, and be a responsible two-way Center, and be a TEAMMATE with, let's say Hirose and Zadina on his line... he is definitely a keeper.

Lofty goals... I say Yzerman gives him at least a chance to get there before considering moving on from him...

I don't think any current Red Wing is untouchable in Yzerman's mind. The next couple of years should be fun.

On 4/20/2019 at 5:35 PM, Euphdude said:

Don't tell that to Kenny. He gave one dimensional Darren Helm a 3 year/$3.85 million dollar extension.