thefunk

STEVE YZERMAN IS BACK, BABY!

Tater would have preferred that the Wings use the Friday 3pm press conference to nail Holland to a cross and wait until Sunday morning for the saviour to be re-introduced.

• Like 1

Couple notes first from the Freep:

So what is next?

Expect Yzerman to take time figuring out how to steer the Wings towards contention. By hiring him this early, he’ll have from now until the draft (when trades generally heat up again following the deadline) to ponder moves. He’ll be able to scout for the Wings, familiarize himself with the prospect depth chart, and talk to current players. Yzerman won’t rush into anything.

Here’s a telling quote into his modus operandi from an interview with the Free Press in March of 2018: “The biggest challenge is really finding players that can make a difference. here are 31 teams in the league, and we’re all competing for the same talent. Whether it’s through the draft or free agency or trades, it’s difficult to improve your team. It takes time and you have to get lucky a little bit along the way. 

“I believe to be a good team, it takes time. One player can have an impact, but to build a team, it takes years. You’re drafting players at 18, and the majority of them aren’t helping you for five years. The Connor McDavids and the Auston Matthews step in right away, but that’s rare. It takes time to build a team.”

The Athletic:

With Holland, it was clear. He eventually dug in to the rebuild, but it was painful. This is a guy wired to win. He had very little stomach for the kind of losing that often leads to the talent at the top of the draft. If nothing changed this offseason in the front office, you got the sense that the Red Wings were quite content to put their foot on the gas this summer. You could already see the message: Just look at these playoffs! Anyone can win. Nobody expected the Islanders to be in Round 2 and here we are.

Boy I am glad he wasn't allowed to make the moves to 'jump start' the rebuild.

IMO, the term Rebuild refers to when you enter the season with a long shot chance to just earn the 8th playoff seed.   That was certainly this past season for the Red Wings.    

I don’t see 2019-2020 being the same way.  I think with some changes and minor investment they can compete for a playoff spot.   They are years away from a real cup contender but not far from moving past rebuild.   

37 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Tater would have preferred that the Wings use the Friday 3pm press conference to nail Holland to a cross and wait until Sunday morning for the saviour to be re-introduced.

Holland is nailing Stevie to the cross today. Stevie rises on Sunday and fires Blashill. 

19 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

IMO, the term Rebuild refers to when you enter the season with a long shot chance to just earn the 8th playoff seed.   That was certainly this past season for the Red Wings.    

I don’t see 2019-2020 being the same way.  I think with some changes and minor investment they can compete for a playoff spot.   They are years away from a real cup contender but not far from moving past rebuild.   

Seems like a distinction without difference. Right now you have 3 wagons in the division with Tampa, Toronto, and Boston. Florida seems to be ready to go in and Buffalo/Montreal have much more young talent. I don't think you build just to sneak into the playoffs. They still have to find a way to clear some of the bad contracts off the books and need to rebuild almost the entire defense.

This is reminiscent of the Harbaugh return.  Michigan fans were sure that he was the cure for what ailed them.  He was successful and was a total can't miss, no brainer hire.  Forget Big Ten Championships, let's start planning on those National Championship appearances every year.  Five years later, how's that worked out?  Still can't even beat Ohio State and 0 big Ten Championships.  

Perhaps Yzerman will have a different outcome.  I just hope that if he doesn't, Wings fans can be open minded enough to recognize it and not be satisfied with first round playoff losses.

5 minutes ago, Kacie said:

This is reminiscent of the Harbaugh return.  Michigan fans were sure that he was the cure for what ailed them.  He was successful and was a total can't miss, no brainer hire.  Forget Big Ten Championships, let's start planning on those National Championship appearances every year.  Five years later, how's that worked out?  Still can't even beat Ohio State and 0 big Ten Championships.  

Perhaps Yzerman will have a different outcome.  I just hope that if he doesn't, Wings fans can be open minded enough to recognize it and not be satisfied with first round playoff losses.

I don't disagree. This city has had some great players that turned out to be not so great coaches/GMs: Alan Trammell, Sid Abel, Ted Lindsay, etc. Just because they were great on the field does not mean it will translate into front office leadership. Having said this, Yzerman at least has proven elsewhere that he is capable, which the others I referenced did not. I hope he will turn this team around just like he did in Tampa, but I think there needs to be some patience with that. 

As for Holland, wouldn't surprise me if he kicks around upstairs for another couple of years, then goes to run Seattle's new franchise for 2021. 

26 minutes ago, kdog said:

Seems like a distinction without difference. Right now you have 3 wagons in the division with Tampa, Toronto, and Boston. Florida seems to be ready to go in and Buffalo/Montreal have much more young talent. I don't think you build just to sneak into the playoffs. They still have to find a way to clear some of the bad contracts off the books and need to rebuild almost the entire defense.

Of course you don’t build to sneak into the playoffs.   You build to contend for the Cup but unless you get very, very lucky,  you have to take steps to get there and build up as you go.  The next one for the Wings is to start challenging for a playoff spot.  

I agree this division is really tough but 7th and 8th playoff spots aren’t entirely dependent on division.   They could and may essentially tank again this season but I’m not sure that they need to do that.  I think they are ready to take one small step forward. 

10 minutes ago, Kacie said:

No one is guaranteeing a Stanley Cup. Only that he should be much better for the organization than the Wings continuing with Holland or handing it over to Kris Draper. I'll take that bet. Harbaugh has made Michigan much better than they were in the 7 years before he arrived, even if has yet to win a title in his 4 years. Shanahan (5th year) and Babcock (4th year) have made the Leafs better even though they have yet to win a playoff round since 2004. Manage expectations.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I guarantee a Stanley cup. 

I too guarantee a Stanley Cup will be award at the end of every play-off season.

both videos bring a tear to your eye...and I love the way Bob Cole says Detroyyyyyyett.

2 hours ago, Kacie said:

Wrong. Apples to oranges. Not beating Ohio state or making a 4 team playoff just cannot be compared to the NHL where half the league gets in and a hot goalie can take you to unprecedented places. 

Get excited. This is HUGE for the Wings.

"Ken Holland has been promoted to Senior Vice President and signed an extension."

"Lightning ownership gave them permission to speak with SY in March."

"I spoke to Kenny and Chris in the last few weeks." lol 

3 hours ago, thefunk said:

Sometimes it’s just great to watch “the right thing” happen. 

Its so damn rare.

This is exactly how I feel, beyond being relieved that Kenny isn't making contractual decisions anymore. The obvious, correct decision was made and it's refreshing that no one or no thing got in the way of it.

Yzerman was definitely consulted on the Blashill contract. But he will be the coach.

He has said "it's going to take time" and asked for patience about 8 times. Almost guaranteed there won't be a free agent splash(thank god). 

So I would prepare for a few more lean years.

Why does Mitch Albom still attend these kinds of press conferences?  He shed his sports columnist image years ago.