thefunk

STEVE YZERMAN IS BACK, BABY!

The “less can be more exciting” era is over. Excellent. 

Who's this new GM?  Hope he can tank better than the last guy.  Just kidding.  No more tanking for the Wings.  They should have a solid nuclei.

THE NIGHTMARE IS OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bon Voyage Kenny and welcome back Stevie Y!!!!!!!!!!!

I am going to miss the whole "we like our team" bit though. 

Love that he's back, and he is arguably the best GM in the league.

Its funny hearing a couple of the parallels.

Yzerman's jersey was 19.  Returns on 04/19/2019.

Its Good Friday and the press conference is at 3:00pm, which is the end time of the three hours of agony in Christian tradition.

Good for Wings fans.  I don't pay much attention to the NHL, but I know the Detroit fan base could use this good news.

11 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

Love that he's back, and he is arguably the best GM in the league.

It’s not a winning argument but it’s possible to argue about anything, so sure he’s arguably the best GM in the league.  

Have to be honest..... I’m a little surprised by this.  Wasn’t convinced it would happen. 

• Thanks 1

Yzerman the GM is not as good as Yzerman the player, but still a good GM.  I never really had a problem with Holland, but it looks like Holland is staying on and Yzerman will be taking over the team building part.  Welcome back Stevie Stick!

I think blasting Holland might be wrong.   I think he was doing what the big guy told him to do, make the playoffs at all cost.    And as we are seeing this year with both #1 seeds probably out in the first round,  that's not a bad plan.      Two years ago I would have said fire Holland (and did) but since Mr. I passed away, he totally changed his strategy.   

• Like 1

Bringing over chief of scouting Al Murray as well as Sarnia boy Pat Verbeek would be nice bonuses if those happen.

I wonder what the buyout terms are in Blashill’s contract.   I also wonder if Stevie Y will have the power to fire him if he chooses while Holland is still in the building.    

2 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I wonder what the buyout terms are in Blashill’s contract.   I also wonder if Stevie Y will have the power to fire him if he chooses while Holland is still in the building.    

I would guess that Yzerman is getting at least $5 million a year with potentially an ownership stake. He can fire Blashill if he wants before the press conference.

1 minute ago, Hongbit said:

If I had to guess, there are no terms in his contract that would allow the wings to buy him out if Yzerman wants to go in another direction. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if Holland and Yzerman talked about blashill before holland hired him, or if Holland told Blashill that he would be moving out of the GM role at the end of the season. 

I think it makes sense to keep Blashill at least for the next season. The young players did well this year so it can be beneficial to have some continuity.

Blahshill was a cheap caretaker in a rebuilding phase. He’s not their long term guy.  The Yzerman move to me signifies that they are ready to end the full rebuild and try to move forward    Why not start with that guy right now. 

Look what happened in Long Island when the brought in a big time coach.   I expect similar results in Florida next year.  

Just now, Hongbit said:

Blahshill was a cheap caretaker in a rebuilding phase. He’s not their long term guy.  The Yzerman move to me signifies that they Wings are ready to end the full rebuild and try to move forward    Why not start with that guy right now. 

Look what happened in Long Island when the brought in a big time coach.   I expect similar results in Florida next year.  

I think there is still one more year of rebuilding and rearranging in store, but I suppose that it can’t hurt to bring in the long term guy now. I guess it’s better now than a year from now. Get the growing pains with a new coach out of the way. 

Maybe the extension was simply a parting gift or golden parachute or whatever.

i know people disagree but the Red Wings problem are much more personnel based. The Islanders didn't have the backlog of terrible contracts. And I think the drafts that Holland has been credited for recently aren't going to turn out that great. This is a huge rebuilding job and Blash could be a good caretaker while they rebuild the roster.

Blashill was extended with Yzerman’s blessing. He will be the coach for at least one more year. 

Yeah, Blash is not the problem and I don't think getting someone like Trotz in the hypothetical (I know he isn't available) is somehow going to turn them into a 100 point team.

yay!  so exciting!

in my limited hockey knowledge, i dont see how there isnt at least one more year of a rebuild.  and thats assuming the players they have continue to improve, which is no given.  

if they dont, this could take a mighty long time.

as for blashill, a two year extension screams "youre here for one more year of teaching the kids and then i'm hiring someone else."

Sometimes it’s just great to watch “the right thing” happen. 

Its so damn rare.

• Like 1