Sydney_Fife

Round 1, Game 2: Pistons @ Bucks

5 hours ago, Buddha said:

can we end the idea that the "going to work pistons" were not made up of high lottery picks?

chauncey, rasheed, and rip were all high lottery picks.

I was looking at these guys and what draft picks were used to trade for Wallace and Hamilton, and found this little nugget:

image.png.ce0c7937ce300ff3b9e6b02567638b1f.png

Might this somewhat explain Dumars' infatuation with Josh Smith?  He wanted to get back that 1st rounder sent to Atlanta in the Rasheed Wallace trade?

8 hours ago, Sydney_Fife said:

Please get rid of the black uniforms. 

Plus infinity.  But you know darn well that those are the kits that they'll be wearing for game 3 and game 4 (if the league doesn't cancel it out of charity to the Pistons).

For the most part, we came out and competed and we definitely made them feel us. -- Reggie Jackson. 

Dude, you lost by 21 in a playoff game. But congrats on making them feel you. And competing. What a loser. 

• Like 2

I don't know how good or bad Drummond is. But they have the worst wing rotation in the league and a point guard who is barely consistent. I'd say the playoff atmosphere was good for Bruce Brown and Kennard. If they had Blake, it might be a little more competitive. 

Just now, kdog said:

I don't know how good or bad Drummond is.

He's not good enough for the role the Pistons are trying to shoehorn him into.  He's a complimentary player with a max contract who probably shouldn't be on the court in close games coming down to the wire.

9 hours ago, Betrayer said:

Classic Dre game. -32 while he was on the court. Put some empty stats on the board but played terribly in both ends and created so many lost possessions. We’re going nowhere with this kid on the roster. 

But hey, this is worth it because we’re learning something about players who won’t be here when we’re actually a  relevant team, right? Way more important than a higher draft pick. 

lol. Did you see the guard play? The fact that every guard lived in the paint is on Dre? I don't care if you have Rudy Gobert back there, no big-man is going to make up for the awful guard defense. 

7 hours ago, Buddha said:

can we end the idea that the "going to work pistons" were not made up of high lottery picks?

chauncey, rasheed, and rip were all high lottery picks.

The idea is the Pistons made a championship team without having lottery picks...

35 minutes ago, Sydney_Fife said:

Lost by 35. Lost by 21. Maybe a 7 point loss coming on Saturday.

They had the lead for about 5 minutes of game play.  They won the 2nd quarter and lost the 4th quarter by only 4 points.

And the Bucks felt Matador.

Progress.

6 minutes ago, 313DetroitCity said:

The idea is the Pistons made a championship team without having lottery picks...

I understand what you're driving at.  They did have many lottery picks though -- it's just that other teams selected them before the Pistons acquired them.

7 hours ago, Buddha said:

im pretty sure the whole debate is about everyone versus dc313.

and they signed Chauncey as a free agent.

speaking of that team, i was in line at o'hare on monday and who is standing behind me?  rip hamilton.  i turned around and said i was a big pistons fan and apologized for my four year old dawdling.  he was very nice.  and wearing a pistons cap.

That's awesome. I've heard very good things about Rip off the court, I really like him as an analyst too.

You're right, I forgot that they signed Billups. Nevertheless, I think the whole debate was tanking vs. not tanking, that Pistons team didn't tank for their core players.  Well, they tanked for Wade but ya know...

55 minutes ago, ben9753 said:

For the most part, we came out and competed and we definitely made them feel us. -- Reggie Jackson. 

Dude, you lost by 21 in a playoff game. But congrats on making them feel you. And competing. What a loser. 

Seriously. He's the biggest problem with this team, can't wait until he's gone.

I know that people are getting on Drummond but he's only as good as the cast around him makes him like most bigs who live around the basket. Without Blake and any sort of consistent guard play, it's tough for him to be at his best. 

Actually, Drummond is a lot of the problem with our bad wing defense.  Put a C back there that has even a basic understanding of how to rotate on defense and the perimeter defense instantly improves.

Not saying our wings are worth a damn, because they aren't.  But a decent defensive minded C back there would help them a lot.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Actually, Drummond is a lot of the problem with our bad wing defense.  Put a C back there that has even a basic understanding of how to rotate on defense and the perimeter defense instantly improves.

Not saying our wings are worth a damn, because they aren't.  But a decent defensive minded C back there would help them a lot.

Jackson/Ellington/Kennard/Maker is about the 4 worst guys you can put around Drummond to help with his defense. Literally all 4 positions were mismatches on defense. 

4 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I don't disagree that he has warts defensively but the guards get blown by constantly and his running mate Maker is probably one of the worst defenders in the league.  He's basically on his own at that end. I think some of you are expecting him to be DeAndre Jordan back there and that's just not who he is, he needs help.

16 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I expect him to be competent.  That isn't expecting much.

You acknowledge that you've only seem 15 games all year. He has been more than competent over the entirety of the season. But when the 4 guys on the court with him cannot even stay in front of their guys to any point of success, you're asking a lot of him.

2 minutes ago, 313DetroitCity said:

You acknowledge that you've only seem 15 games all year. He has been more than competent over the entirety of the season. But when the 4 guys on the court with him cannot even stay in front of their guys to any point of success, you're asking a lot of him.

With the current rules, nobody stays in front of anyone now. 

1 hour ago, 313DetroitCity said:

lol. Did you see the guard play? The fact that every guard lived in the paint is on Dre? I don't care if you have Rudy Gobert back there, no big-man is going to make up for the awful guard defense. 

Nobody is giving the guards a free pass here. Reggie is a horrific defender and the others aren't much better (except Brown).

Doesn't change the fact that Dre is a bad defender. His rotations are either out of position, late, or simply non-existent. It's simple: If the fault was on the guards alone, then Dre would be cutting off those drives and his man would get dunk after dunk. What actually happened is the guards got beat and Dre didn't rotate so the initial drivers got layup after layup. Unacceptable.

Oh, and my comment was that Dre was terrible on both ends. Overdribbling, bad shot selection, missed shots in the paint, standing around at the three point line after setting a screen, complaining for fouls while his man races down the court, not even bothering to step out on shooters. Just terrible.

I wonder if Andre opts out next summer.   Interesting to see what type of deal Gores would give him.

20 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I wonder if Andre opts out next summer.   Interesting to see what type of deal Gores would give him.

I think in general Andre gets more abuse than he merits, but he is a limited player and it would probably be easier in a sense to rebuild around a different guy in the middle where you wouldn't have to worry as much about whether your other players were a bad match for playing with Drummond.

2 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I think in general Andre gets more abuse than he merits, but he is a limited player and it would probably be easier in a sense to rebuild around a different guy in the middle where you wouldn't have to worry as much about whether your other players were a bad match for playing with Drummond.

I know it won't happen but all of Griffin, Drummond and Jackson should be on the trade block this offseason.  Griffin and Drummond aren't the issue individually but I want to see the core dismantled, sweep out everything from the SVG regime outside of Kennard and start fresh.  It won't happen but a man can dream.  Realistically, I'd settle for a Reggie Jackson trade.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I know it won't happen but all of Griffin, Drummond and Jackson should be on the trade block this offseason.  Griffin and Drummond aren't the issue individually but I want to see the core dismantled, sweep out everything from the SVG regime outside of Kennard and start fresh.  It won't happen but a man can dream.  Realistically, I'd settle for a Reggie Jackson trade.

For me, both Dre and Jackson have to go. I'd actually tolerate 1 more year of Reggie (maybe move him for a pick at the deadline like Bullock) rather than keep Dre. You can mitigate Reggie by bringing his minutes down a bit and going with whoever is having a good night in the 4th - he seems more willing to accept a backseat role. Dre, on the other hand, has no clue and can't accept that he's not a star player.

55 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Griffin & Drummond together have been one of the lone bright-spots this year. They have played well together.

Reggie's value in a trade has increased significantly after this season. He played a full 82 game schedule at 28 MPG, increased his 3PT shooting to 37%, dropped his TO/game and generally accepted his role. 

We are in a far better position to trade him now than before.