Sydney_Fife

Round 1, Game 2: Pistons @ Bucks

Lets play Blake!

I mean, we ran him into the ground to secure that sweet sweet 8th seed.  Lets finish the job and run him out there again so he can sustain some long term injury so we only lose by 20 instead of 30.  

58 minutes ago, Sydney_Fife said:

So you risk injury in a guaranteed loss with an already injury prone player? That seems ridiculous to me. This isn't a rest day, it's an injury.

This is part of the problem.  It has been mentioned before that:

• yes, its an injury
  • it cannot get hurt anymore than it already is
  • its just a matter of pain tolerance
  • Griffin wants to play

If that's the case, play him.  Go ahead and reduce his minutes, especially in a blowout (which it likely would have been had he played anyway).  But if he can play without exacerbating the injury, and if he wants to play, play him.

Or are they saving him for the second round?

Or is the injury more than they want to admit to?

Or are they just a rudderless operation right now?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sydney_Fife said:

So you risk injury in a guaranteed loss with an already injury prone player? That seems ridiculous to me. This isn't a rest day, it's an injury.

Blake said he wants to play, Blake said he's ready to play.  The diagnosis is a sore knee, this isn't exactly a serious injury like he has had in previous years at least based on what we know.  If it's a more serious injury then I can understand but this doesn't seem to be the case.  What are they saving him for?  What's the risk?  I'm confused by all of this taking extreme caution with Blake as if this could jeopardize his career if the played a few playoff games.

Also, this "guaranteed loss" narrative is fanboy talk. Management and players don't have a give up mentality like this and if they do, what's the point in even playing the game if it's a guaranteed loss?  

2 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Lets play Blake!

I mean, we ran him into the ground to secure that sweet sweet 8th seed.  Lets finish the job and run him out there again so he can sustain some long term injury so we only lose by 20 instead of 30.  

I do think there is something to hurting himself more than he already is.  Maybe not necessarily this injury.  But overcompensating for it could affect something else.

But in that case, you just say he's injured, you mention nothing about pain tolerance, and you simply say he's unlikely to recover from it in time and he's out for the rest of the season.

The "BUT, BUT, BUT maybe he will get hurt" argument is tiring.  These dudes make a ton of money to play the game.  Play the game if you can.

As a business owner may I want to protect my valuable asset?  Yup.

I am not the business owner.

14 hours ago, Deleterious said:

No sense playing him tomorrow. The Pistons are a side show, not a serious basketball team. Hope he can give you twenty minutes in front of the home crowd.

Oh gimme a break. The Pistons are not a "side show". They are the 8th seed in the playoffs. There has been no controversy or issues off the court with this team throughout the entire SVG or Casey era. 

They are just an average team. That doesn't make them a dumpster fire. 

49 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Or are they saving him for the second round?

That's funny. 👍

It has been enjoyable the past two days having everyone laugh at the Pistons.  My only regret is Gores doesn't get anywhere near that press/comments so he doesn't have a clue what a laughingstock his team is.

1 minute ago, Deleterious said:

It has been enjoyable the past two days having everyone laugh at the Pistons.  My only regret is Gores doesn't get anywhere near that press/comments so he doesn't have a clue what a laughingstock his team is.

Gores is too busy working on his pompadour.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, 313DetroitCity said:

They are just an average team. That doesn't make them a dumpster fire. 

In the past 10 seasons, they've finished with 44 wins once, 41 wins once, and with a losing record the other eight seasons.  They have no reasonable expectation to be much better next season given the salary situation, draft picks at hand, and returning roster going into next season.  They were just humiliated in their playoff opener.  The front office cannot express correctly the situation of its star player.

How is this not a dumpster fire?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John_Brian_K said:

Water%20glass.jpg?w968h681

I wish it was tequila.

1 minute ago, Casimir said:

In the past 10 seasons, they've finished with 44 wins once, 41 wins once, and with a losing record the other eight seasons.  They have no reasonable expectation to be much better next season given the salary situation, draft picks at hand, and returning roster going into next season.  They were just humiliated in their playoff opener.  The front office cannot express correctly the situation of its star player.

I feel we need to mention what a **** show the east has been in that decade.  Their win total the past decade is actually inflated because of the conference they play in.

4 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Alternatively, they have a guy who is going to be 3rd Team All-NBA, a 25 year old 2X All-Star who is likely going to make more moving forward, a stable/respected head coach, a brand new front office that doesn't own the previous failures, all of their draft picks and no off-the-court issues that embarrassed the franchise.

As far as the playoff opener...come on. You lost to the best team in the NBA on the road, without your best player. **** happens. No one really cares. Orlando just lost by 30 last night too. 

3 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I feel we need to mention what a **** show the east has been in that decade.  Their win total the past decade is actually inflated because of the conference they play in.

That's a good point.

3 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

Who says it is not?

pwned.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

As opposed to what? The only comments about the Pistons for 10 years have been negative. No one goes to the games, anyone who says anything remotely optimistic gets ridiculed and the local media outright gave up on them.

1 minute ago, 313DetroitCity said:

Alternatively, they have a guy who is going to be 3rd Team All-NBA, a 25 year old 2X All-Star who is likely going to make more moving forward, a stable/respected head coach, a brand new front office that doesn't own the previous failures, all of their draft picks and no off-the-court issues that embarrassed the franchise.

As far as the playoff opener...come on. You lost to the best team in the NBA on the road, without your best player. **** happens. No one really cares. Orlando just lost by 30 last night too. 

Terrific.  Build around a piece that, while dominant at his position, has an obsolete skill set.  And how do they build around him with neither salary space nor decent draft picks?

Just now, Casimir said:

Terrific.  Build around a piece that, while dominant at his position, has an obsolete skill set.  And how do they build around him with neither salary space nor decent draft picks?

The guy who just killed us in Game 1 was the 15th pick. The guy who just killed Orlando last night was the 15th pick. 

You draft well, make some trades and realize that contracts expire. You don't have Drummond for 20 years. This isn't baseball. What you want is a credible and smart front office, and the Pistons seem to have moved in the direction of hiring really qualified guys for the job. Give them a little bit of time before you blame them for stuff they had nothing to do with.

1 minute ago, 313DetroitCity said:

The guy who just killed us in Game 1 was the 15th pick. The guy who just killed Orlando last night was the 15th pick. 

You draft well, make some trades and realize that contracts expire. You don't have Drummond for 20 years. This isn't baseball. What you want is a credible and smart front office, and the Pistons seem to have moved in the direction of hiring really qualified guys for the job. Give them a little bit of time before you blame them for stuff they had nothing to do with.

Yes, how often do those types of 15th picks occur?

4 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Yes, how often do those types of 15th picks occur?

You asked me how it is even possible for this team to improve. I just showed you that having all your draft picks (particularly when its still a mid round draft pick) gives you avenues to improve. 

Obviously it isn't easy. But look at the #1 overall picks, even that isn't easy to nail. Do you see Ayton, Fultz, Simmons, Wiggins or Bennett leading you to a title? Nah. 

The NBA is one of the hardest leagues to win in, given how much players are teaming up on super-teams. The Pistons aren't close to a title and likely won't be any time soon...but neither is 95% of the league. 

22 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

Who says it is not?

This is a good post. 

6 minutes ago, 313DetroitCity said:

You asked me how it is even possible for this team to improve. I just showed you that having all your draft picks (particularly when its still a mid round draft pick) gives you avenues to improve. 

Obviously it isn't easy. But look at the #1 overall picks, even that isn't easy to nail. Do you see Ayton, Fultz, Simmons, Wiggins or Bennett leading you to a title? Nah. 

The NBA is one of the hardest leagues to win in, given how much players are teaming up on super-teams. The Pistons aren't close to a title and likely won't be any time soon...but neither is 95% of the league. 

Yeah, you can look at almost specific draft slot over the years and see a lot of busts, a handful of decent players, and a rare superstar. Sure, drafting higher increases the odds a bit that you will end up with a non-bust. But it’s still largely a crapshoot. It’s not as bad as baseball, but it’s far from a sure thing. 

Building a good team takes years. Building a championship contender takes years and a good deal of luck. You don’t need to be picking in the top three year after year to do it.