six-hopper

How about that Tiger Woods, the 2019 Masters champion!

What a spectacular moment.  Twenty-two years after his first Masters win, 14 years after his most recent previous one, eleven years since his last victory in a Major.  A powerful reminder of why so many of us love sports.

2 hours ago, six-hopper said:

What a spectacular moment.  Twenty-two years after his first Masters win, 14 years after his most recent previous one, eleven years since his last victory in a Major.  A powerful reminder of why so many of us love sports.

hard to celebrate Tiger's success anymore though. He's pretty much put himself beyond anyone's ability to identify through him - which is most of why we cheer sports heroes.

I don't identify with him, any more than I do with Barry Bonds or Tom Brady or Serena Williams or any other sports figure who has been great at what he or she does -- or in their cases the best I've ever seen.  They have done their job of entertaining me beyond what any or at least most others in their fields have, and that is all I need from them.

A lot of athletes, actors and actresses, and musicians have brought good things to my life.  What they do outside of their performances on the field or in the arena or on the screen or the stage  is irrelevant to my enjoyment of those performances.  

As a golfer, Tiger Woods rocks.  And that is the only thing about him that matters to me.

2 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

of course, you lost me when you put "entertainment" and "golf" in close proximity......

xD

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

hard to celebrate Tiger's success anymore though. He's pretty much put himself beyond anyone's ability to identify through him - which is most of why we cheer sports heroes.

I understand this sentiment but it is definitely a minority opinion.   Millions across the globe are celebrating.

2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Nah. I think it’s pretty easy to celebrate this success. 

39 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Nah. I think it’s pretty easy to celebrate this success. 

I dunno - everything about Tiger just leaves me cold today. He's yesterday's drama. Outlived his proper time on the stage and all that....It's a YMMV thing of course but for me he's just of those personalities I'd as soon never hear about again.

I never cared about any of that personal scandal around Tiger. He was always all about golf, never claimed to be Mr. Family Values. In fact, for much of his career he was considered aloof and not particularly friendly. So all I ever cared about was his golf game. So on those terms, today's result is incredible, an amazing comeback. Nothing will top, for me, Jack in '86, but I chalk that up to me being 19 for that as opposed to 51 now.

He has outlived his proper time on the stage and that’s why it’s such a big story.   He shouldn’t be here at all.  He’s fought back from both self inflicted wounds and others that he couldn't control at all.   Everyone counted him out both as a golfer and a public figure and now he's back on top more than a decade after ruining everything.   It’s a amazing story that’sstill being written.  

Molinari with an epic collapse.

Tiger stayed steady, but Molinari handed that one to him.

I watched all day Sunday.

11 hours ago, lordstanley said:

He was always all about golf, never claimed to be Mr. Family Values

A lot of people (including my mother) had an image of Tiger being a squeaky clean family man who lived a near saintly life.  Once the veil was lifted, many of those people stopped being fans -- the reminder that celebrities have real life problems was not a pleasant one.

Saturday I went out with the family to hit some golf balls and the wife could hit some softballs in prep for our leagues this summer.  Mine golf hers softball.  Anyway I run into a friend I had not seen in 2-3 years.  We were pretty inseparable before I met my wife.  Anyway he was hitting golf balls.  We started talking about the masters and he said he wanted to see Tiger win just because it would be cool and a nice thing for Tiger because apparently his father was kind of crazy per my friend.  I had no idea.    I never really followed golf when Tiger was killing it.  I played WAAAY more back then than I do now, but never really watched.  Now I look forward to the weekend rounds on TV and usually switch between Baseball and Golf.  

I did find myself pulling for him.  I have always been a big fan of Finnau and was bummed to see him fall apart, but was glad for Tiger. 

I never worried myself with his personal life.  It is what it is.  He is not, by all accounts, a great dude...especially to his family if he was cheating on his wife so much, but I usually can separate those things.  I still love Miggy even with all the stuff he went through.  Tiger is a phenom and I think it is good for the sport that he won, so for that I am happy.

That book about Woods from Benedict and Keteyian was absolutely brutal.  It was a fun read.

13 hours ago, Hongbit said:

He has outlived his proper time on the stage and that’s why it’s such a big story.   He shouldn’t be here at all.  He’s fought back from both self inflicted wounds and others that he couldn't control at all.   Everyone counted him out both as a golfer and a public figure and now he's back on top more than a decade after ruining everything.   It’s a amazing story that’sstill being written.  

Yep, there probably won't be a better comeback story until Miguel Cabrera's 3 homers in the Tigers' Series-clinching game in 2024.

3 hours ago, Deleterious said:

That book about Woods from Benedict and Keteyian was absolutely brutal.  It was a fun read.

Haven't read it, but on an unrelated note, I did sit right behind Arman Keteyian in Comerica  at the 2006 World Series. 

All I know (having walked Muirfield in Columbus and Inverness in Toledo); these guys are really really good.

In 1993 (I think it was) John Daly complained he couldn't use his driver at the famous Toledo track in the PGA Championship. Probably played under 7000 yards.

Chump change now.

I don't care who wins, they are fun to watch.

Too bad the weekend warriors think they are on the Tee Vee.  🙂