Keepleyland2

4/14 @2:10 Detroit Tigers at Minnesota Twins

Look like I missed a solid game thread fight. Dammit. 

32 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

I'll start:

Events occurring in the game.

=================

Maybe we should have a vent thread for Miggy's contract?   I see KeepL's point as:  Why keep beating that dead horse?  Who's arguing with you?   Is there anyone now debating that it was and is a terrible contract?   To continue to bring it up as something that none of us realize with being told for the 56,789th time is annoying.

I don't think it's a dead horse yet.   It really hasn't been discussed that much as far as I can see.  People are still complaining about Ausmus and he's been gone for two years. I will say that since KeepLeyland puts work into the game threads, he should have some say in what is dicussed here.  So, maybe we should ***** about Cabrera's contract elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Keepleyland2 said:

I don't think its fighting to question and then explain why. The "ad nauseam" isn't just for you but in general. As I said, it was silly to bring up the option years randomly in a game thread. They are really irrelevant and serve no purpose today other than some passive aggressive attack like yep its a bad contract. 

His contract has been discussed a million times. Did today make his pay situation better or worse? nope. Did today's strikeout trigger those vesting options? nope. 

I thought you posts the other day about his Ground ball rate was great. Didn't know that. 

As you said "we are here to discuss tiger things" there are a million things to discuss instead of Miggy's contract and boy this team stinks. 

But Miggy's contract gives us 30 or 32 million things to discuss, every year.

2 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

I missing when we won. Not so much the winnings, but the less silly game threads

My mood has become poisonous over this latest bit of ineptitude.    Want/need some sign that better days are coming.  I cannot handle a generation lost like 1989-2005.  

Game threads have always been filled with silly stuff even when the Tigers were good.  People get emotional and vent in game threads. 

1 minute ago, tiger337 said:

Game threads have always been filled with silly stuff even when the Tigers were good.  People get emotional and vent in game threads. 

Oh yeah

5 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I'm all for that, it's just that looking forward to years and years of venting over the JZ/Miggy contracts is discouraging.

44 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Ummm....we can only talk about things that happen during the game, thanks.  Please start another thread to discuss this.

I doubt that Tiger winning the 2019 Masters had been discussed extensively up to the time I made that post.  Apples/Oranges but keep punching you'll hit something eventually.

22 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

I doubt that Tiger winning the 2019 Masters had been discussed extensively up to the time I made that post.  Apples/Oranges but keep punching you'll hit something eventually.

You don't want to discuss how you were posting about Miggy's contract?

I may not have hit anything, but you hit yourself!  Lol.

23 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

My mood has become poisonous over this latest bit of ineptitude.    Want/need some sign that better days are coming.  I cannot handle a generation lost like 1989-2005.  

That was a generation lost because they never rebuilt. For the first half they had Sparky and a clueless Monahan led front office. Sparky wanted no part of rebuilding so they signed a string of mid level free agents that propped them up to a near .500 team for about 5-6 years. And they had a good 10 year stretch where the drafts were historically bad.

So they bottomed out and when they finally did decide to rebuild Sparky bolted. The Tigers brought in another bad front office unfortunately. After some bad trades and bad drafts about 3 years into the rebuild the Tigers got impatient because they had a new stadium opening. So they started trading young guys and signing free agents which of course failed and set them back even further. When they finally did decide to rebuild and do it right with a decent front office, did they finally start to put together a core and win again.

I'm encouraged that they aren't cutting corners like the Sparky years, aren't doing crazy things like drafting relievers first overall and trading good pitching prospects like Lima for veteran catchers like the Smith years, and seem to be more like the early DD years.

How well they draft and how shrewd they are in dealing or hanging onto guys like Fulmer and Boyd will determine how soon they are contenders again. Whether they lose 85 games this year or 105 won't make much of a difference in the end.

3 minutes ago, Stanley68 said:

That was a generation lost because they never rebuilt. For the first half they had Sparky and a clueless Monahan led front office. Sparky wanted no part of rebuilding so they signed a string of mid level free agents that propped them up to a near .500 team for about 5-6 years. And they had a good 10 year stretch where the drafts were historically bad.

So they bottomed out and when they finally did decide to rebuild Sparky bolted. The Tigers brought in another bad front office unfortunately. After some bad trades and bad drafts about 3 years into the rebuild the Tigers got impatient because they had a new stadium opening. So they started trading young guys and signing free agents which of course failed and set them back even further. When they finally did decide to rebuild and do it right with a decent front office, did they finally start to put together a core and win again.

I'm encouraged that they aren't cutting corners like the Sparky years, aren't doing crazy things like drafting relievers first overall and trading good pitching prospects like Lima for veteran catchers like the Smith years, and seem to be more like the early DD years.

How well they draft and how shrewd they are in dealing or hanging onto guys like Fulmer and Boyd will determine how soon they are contenders again. Whether they lose 85 games this year or 105 won't make much of a difference in the end.

It was also lost because they refused to retain talent or to invest in talent after the few examples like Darrel Evans. 

The Mike Illitch years became wonderful (didn't start that way) because he kept investing.  They went south when he failed to keep Scherzer.   

6 hours ago, kdog said:

Norris sitting at 86-88.

Crafty. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Norris should be a good test of this coaching staff. The velo is in there, we've seen it flash. If he can't find the right mechanics it tells me we don't have the right coaches.

Disagree.  You can’t put the performance of one individual on the coaches.  It’s up to the coaches AND the individual to figure it out.

14 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Disagree.  You can’t put the performance of one individual on the coaches.  It’s up to the coaches AND the individual to figure it out.

I can see where G2 is coming from. A pitcher can slide into bad habits and not see what has evolved. It usually takes an outside point of view to see it, but it’s true that once whatever it is is identified, it’s up to the pitcher himself to make the adjustment and fix it.

7 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I can see where G2 is coming from. A pitcher can slide into bad habits and not see what has evolved. It usually takes an outside point of view to see it, but it’s true that once whatever it is is identified, it’s up to the pitcher himself to make the adjustment and fix it.

Sure, the coaching staff has to identify it and come up with a remedy.  Norris needs to implement the remedy.

Morris right away said he say a flaw in Norris’ delivery, and how he wasn’t following through.  It might be something that Anderson/Gardenhire/whomever has already identified and “resolved”, but Norris hasn’t completely mastered it.

An anonymous source is reporting that when the game concluded today, upon entering the visitor’s clubhouse, Jordan Zimmermann walked over to Daniel Norris’ locker and said, “Fix me.”

2 hours ago, Shelton said:

Look like I missed a solid game thread fight. Dammit. 

You are ALWAYS up for a game day thread fight, you were missed today.

2 hours ago, ROMAD1 said:

Oh yeah

I am ALWAYS guilty of venting in GDT threads.  I admit it.  Sometimes it is difficult to take a step back and remember there are 162 games, and as of today the Tigers have only played 15 of them.  

26 minutes ago, kj2018 said:

You are ALWAYS up for a game day thread fight, you were missed today.

Has anyone ever won a fight with Shelton?  

1 minute ago, tiger337 said:

He whoops my A** every time i try to get into one with him

7 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Just Shelton.

Candelario 2/4 with a BB added in.  I want to see him hitting leadoff again.  Just to see if it can kick start something.

33 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Candelario 2/4 with a BB added in.  I want to see him hitting leadoff again.  Just to see if it can kick start something.

Agreeing with earlier comments here...until Cabrera starts hitting and the Nick/Niko combo come back healthy, this team is going to suffer offensively. Sadly, this line up isn’t MLB caliber most days anyway.

I am hoping Peterson is not Mahtook 2.0. 

If Cabrera doesn’t come around with the weather we have a big problem. He has been a power source for years. The org apparently doesn’t intend to extend Nick, which I question. Stewart is a promising looking bat with time. I’m not very optimistic about ANY part of this team right now. That sucks when you’re less than a month in.

If game threads are only for game events, since there is no game today, does that mean we can feel free to discuss all things that didn't happen today?

Everyone sucks so picking on one player seems pointless. 

If Miggy were hitting he'd still be surrounded by useless awful players, woop de doo

Our lineup is nothing but journeymen players who aren't good enough for the big leagues with  Cabrera, candelario, castellanos, and stewart the only possible exceptions. It's going to be one of the worst offenses in MLB no matter what happens. They have multiple players who will probably ops 650 or below. The team blows. Everyone knew they were going to blow. I don't know what's surprising or interesting about it