Keepleyland2

4/14 @2:10 Detroit Tigers at Minnesota Twins

11 hours ago, Casimir said:

Disagree.  You can’t put the performance of one individual on the coaches.  It’s up to the coaches AND the individual to figure it out.

the funny thing was, his delivery and follow through on the HR were not bad (for Norris) - no recoil. The pitch just had nothing on it - 88 mph. It was fairly low but right down the middle of the zone, which is actually a pretty bad place for a pitcher to throw a 4 seamer as it is hard to get a hitter to miss under it there.

26 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

Everyone sucks so picking on one player seems pointless. 

If Miggy were hitting he'd still be surrounded by useless awful players, woop de doo

Our lineup is nothing but journeymen players who aren't good enough for the big leagues with  Cabrera, candelario, castellanos, and stewart the only possible exceptions. It's going to be one of the worst offenses in MLB no matter what happens. They have multiple players who will probably ops 650 or below. The team blows. Everyone knew they were going to blow. I don't know what's surprising or interesting about it 

Yup, those are the only guys worth watching.  Hopefully Cabrera can hold on, Castellanos can be used for future value (via trade or extension), and Candelario and Stewart can become something.

Heck, just set those 4 at the top of the lineup just because that gets them the most PAs to do something.  Lead off with Candelario, some sort of Castellanos/Stewart at 2/3, and then Cabrera hitting 4th.  Candelario can be patient enough to show a few pitches maybe.  Cabrera can still be enough to protect back up the other 2, hopefully.  The rest of it right now is filler and fodder, so who cares.

Norris is in line to pitch Thursday to open the White Sox series. Yikes!

Give Greiner the permanent take sign. Have him squat down as low as he possibly can to minimize the strike zone the way you do with the little leaguer that can’t hit a beach ball on a tee.

13 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I don't think it's a dead horse yet.   It really hasn't been discussed that much as far as I can see.  People are still complaining about Ausmus and he's been gone for two years. I will say that since KeepLeyland puts work into the game threads, he should have some say in what is dicussed here.  So, maybe we should ***** about Cabrera's contract elsewhere.

No I should. People are free to discuss whatever. And i can say "that's silly" right, wrong or indifferent.

I was nearly pointing out that it seemed odd to throw a pot shot about his contract and the option years, which are never gonna happen, in a random game thread. 

On 4/13/2019 at 11:21 PM, Keepleyland2 said:

Gave up only 1 homer

Back when the average RF was like 500 feet though right?

12 hours ago, Casimir said:

Sure, the coaching staff has to identify it and come up with a remedy.  Norris needs to implement the remedy.

Morris right away said he say a flaw in Norris’ delivery, and how he wasn’t following through.  It might be something that Anderson/Gardenhire/whomever has already identified and “resolved”, but Norris hasn’t completely mastered it.

Hopefully, for Norris's sake, they're not all missing what needs to be done.

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

After three years and counting, not expecting a lot at this point. Still a Norris fan though, no doubt.

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I suppose the worst case with Norris would be that he is Dontrelle Willis V2. A guy whose success is based on a delivery that was not sustainable. I worry about that  as ever since they started trying to straighten out his delivery, his spin rate has been down (even ignoring the velocity issue for the moment). If the good fastball was a product of that uniquely flawed delivery, then its just "Bad luck", as Paden would say...

2 hours ago, 1776 said:

Agreeing with earlier comments here...until Cabrera starts hitting and the Nick/Niko combo come back healthy, this team is going to suffer offensively. Sadly, this line up isn’t MLB caliber most days anyway.

I am hoping Peterson is not Mahtook 2.0. 

If Cabrera doesn’t come around with the weather we have a big problem. He has been a power source for years. The org apparently doesn’t intend to extend Nick, which I question. Stewart is a promising looking bat with time. I’m not very optimistic about ANY part of this team right now. That sucks when you’re less than a month in.

For what it's worth, a high percentage of players who make it to the majors are Mahtook 2.0, give or take.

11 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I suppose the worst case with Norris would be that he is Dontrelle Willis V2. A guy whose success is based on a delivery that was not sustainable. I worry about that  as ever since they started trying to straighten out his delivery, his spin rate has been down (even ignoring the velocity issue for the moment). If the good fastball was a product of that uniquely flawed delivery, then its just "Bad luck", as Paden would say...

Talk about a delivery that's not, or looks like it shouldn't be, sustainable, how about Tyson Ross? He's so upright when he delivers the ball, he looks like he's playing catch. Has he always had that pitching motion? How did he get 900 major league innings out of that?

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

For what it's worth, a high percentage of players who make it to the majors are Mahtook 2.0, give or take.

Mahtook was a first round pick and Peterson a second round pick. You’d like to think you could get some service from one of these guys. I think Mahtook’s ship has sailed. In a year committed to losing, I’d keep running Peterson out there.

3 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Mahtook was a first round pick and Peterson a second round pick. You’d like to think you could get some service from one of these guys. I think Mahtook’s ship has sailed. In a year committed to losing, I’d keep running Peterson out there.

I wish we could get more from Mikie, too, but I agree with you about the ship. Maybe he'll catch on with an organization who can fix him up and drive him for a few more years. Maybe Tampa would know what to do with him the second time around.

I don't see Mahtook seeing Comerica as a Tiger again.  Too many guys have passed him by.

I don't see him getting a lot of playing time in Toledo, either.  Robson, Woodrow and Cameron are all ahead of him now.

You know it is bad when you (Mahtook) is on the opening day roster as a starter and you’re on a team that is not expected to be very competitive. If he hits .250 and plays good defense he’s a hero. After 15 games he’s not even a serious consideration for AAA. That’s ugly.

2 minutes ago, 1776 said:

You know it is bad when you (Mahtook) is on the opening day roster as a starter and you’re on a team that is not expected to be very competitive. If he hits .250 and plays good defense he’s a hero. After 15 games he’s not even a serious consideration for AAA. That’s ugly.

Maybe Mahtook is fixable and the Tigers just don't know how to do that with him.

Speaking of players that may or may not be “fixable,“ did Jose Iglesias ever sign anywhere?  Duh, I looked it up and he signed with the Reds for one year for $2.5 million. That’s nearly $4 million less then he made with the Tigers last year.  

This result is a mixture, I presume, of his own pigheadedness about accepting direction as well as the general devaluation of mid-level players as a commodity. Guys that are not Trout or Harper are just not going to get the kind of money they used to. 

• Like 1

I was watching MLB network and they flipped to Jose' AB just in time to see that amazing stare at the ball all the way to the catchers mitt that was right down the middle...Jose backed off and shook his head at the ump a little while adjusting his gloves.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

I was watching MLB network and they flipped to Jose' AB just in time to see that amazing stare at the ball all the way to the catchers mitt that was right down the middle...Jose backed off and shook his head at the ump a little while adjusting his gloves.

Attaboy Jose, keep endearing yourself.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pyrotigers said:

... Our lineup is nothing but journeymen players who aren't good enough for the big leagues with  Cabrera, candelario, castellanos, and stewart the only possible exceptions...

Goodrum is interesting to watch and is MLB-worthy.

On 4/13/2019 at 11:21 PM, Keepleyland2 said:

Tigers at Twins

Game 15

8-6

Remember him?

220px-Suds_Sutherland_newspaper.png
Suds Sutherland

Years with Detroit: 1921

Tigers highlights:  Gave up only 1 homer

You may remember him from: Portland Beavers, Seattle Indians, Earning the wrath of Cobb

Baseball Reference Link and Stats:

suds.jpg

He was practically a Gopher Ball machine compared to these pitchers that season:

Eppa Rixey -- one home run allowed in 301 innings;

Sad Sam Jones -- one home run allowed in 298.2 innings; and

Allen Sothoron -- no home runs allowed in 178.1 innings.

Guess that's why the Tigers let him go.  He was just too vulnerable to the long ball. 

5 hours ago, 1776 said:

I think Peterson has a chance to be better than we think and to do that, he needs real playing time. I think he's going to get it. 

56 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Yep, there's definitely a place for him. He can hit for a bit of power, he has some wheels, and he can play anywhere. I think guys like that are pretty useful on any club. 

2 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

That's true, I actually forgot about him due to him missing the last couple of games.