Keepleyland2

4/13 @2:10 Detroit Tigers at Minnesota Twins

6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I suspect that Gardy is going to give Harrison a lot of leeway at the top of the order to allow him to work himself out of this predicament, maybe straight through to June. After all, Harrison is an established major leaguer, an recent All-Star in fact. There's no way they pull the plug on him anytime soon. As dunzo as he looks to us, the organization has invested a lot in him to do a specific job.

Part of the issue is that this "slump" occurs at the beginning of the season and the year-to-date statistics show only this slump.  Had he started out the first two months around career average and then this two week slide happens, perception isn't as critical.

That said, who else is there to hit leadoff?  I wouldn't mind Cabrera or Castellanos because they are clearly better hitters overall.  I wouldn't be opposed to Candelario either as he seems to have a more patient approach at the plate.  The downfall to this, however, is that you're backfilling 2, 3, and 4 with inferior hitters.  Its just not a deep lineup however you draw it up. although I think we are just seeing a bit of an extreme right now that should shake itself out over time.

22 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Part of the issue is that this "slump" occurs at the beginning of the season and the year-to-date statistics show only this slump.  Had he started out the first two months around career average and then this two week slide happens, perception isn't as critical.

That said, who else is there to hit leadoff?  I wouldn't mind Cabrera or Castellanos because they are clearly better hitters overall.  I wouldn't be opposed to Candelario either as he seems to have a more patient approach at the plate.  The downfall to this, however, is that you're backfilling 2, 3, and 4 with inferior hitters.  Its just not a deep lineup however you draw it up. although I think we are just seeing a bit of an extreme right now that should shake itself out over time.

The $64 question, of course, is whether this is actually a slump, or Harrison's newly established level of performance. The latter might strike some as ridiculous, but until he breaks out of this, we can't know for sure that's not the case.

The Tigers have kind of backed themselves into a corner regarding the top of the order. No one else on the roster profiles as that guy in any traditional sense. Gardy won't bat Castellanos or Cabrera at the top of the order because of the kind of hitters they are—it's "just not done". And Niko is establishing himself as that kind of hitter, too. Gardy's experience is that those hitters hit in the heart of the order so they can get long hits and drive in runners, not at top so they can get on base and be fast and steal bases.

I guess the only thing the team can do at the moment is keep running J-Hay out there batting first because, again, he's the only guy who profiles that way. I think as long as his on base is over .200, he's the guy. The only way out of it is if someone like Ronny Rodriguez or Jacob Robson surprises in Toledo and forces his way up. Otherwise, it looks like a full year of either J-Hay, or mixing and matching among various sub-.250 on base guys in that role.

10 minutes ago, chasfh said:

The $64 question, of course, is whether this is actually a slump, or Harrison's newly established level of performance. The latter might strike some as ridiculous, but until he breaks out of this, we can't know for sure that's not the case.

The Tigers have kind of backed themselves into a corner regarding the top of the order. No one else on the roster profiles as that guy in any traditional sense. Gardy won't bat Castellanos or Cabrera at the top of the order because of the kind of hitters they are—it's "just not done". And Niko is establishing himself as that kind of hitter, too. Gardy's experience is that those hitters hit in the heart of the order so they can get long hits and drive in runners, not at top so they can get on base and be fast and steal bases.

I guess the only thing the team can do at the moment is keep running J-Hay out there batting first because, again, he's the only guy who profiles that way. I think as long as his on base is over .200, he's the guy. The only way out of it is if someone like Ronny Rodriguez or Jacob Robson surprises in Toledo and forces his way up. Otherwise, it looks like a full year of either J-Hay, or mixing and matching among various sub-.250 on base guys in that role.

I had forgotten about Goodrum, but, yeah, he might also get consideration to leading off to get the team out of a slump.

I don't see how Rodriguez factors into it.  He is simply filler.

Maybe Robson is a possibility to be tried because he projects more as a traditional leadoff hitter.  But that would likely only happen if he gets his act together in Toledo and then gets swapped out for Peterson or,...... goodness gracious, they elect to try to meander through the season with only 12 pitchers.

45 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Wow, Gardenhire reads my posts!

image.png.9ff8ab3017593c20ba1ee897ebfabc5b.png

Have I mentioned the time I was at the game and he stopped dead in his tracks and stared at me like he was trying to remember where he knew me from?

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

Wow, Gardenhire reads my posts!

image.png.9ff8ab3017593c20ba1ee897ebfabc5b.png

Have I mentioned the time I was at the game and he stopped dead in his tracks and stared at me like he was trying to remember where he knew me from?

I know, he recognized you from your avatar.

• Like 1