Mr.TaterSalad

2019 Red Wings Off Season Thread

2 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I had a snide dig ready to go and then deleted it. I think its time I drop the bagging on Kenny bit. As for Ericsson, I don't know that Yzerman would be willing to eat the dead cap space it would require if you bought him out, but we shall see.

The Wings are still rebuilding and this is Ericsson's final contract year.  Y will keep him buried on the roster.

Just now, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

No need to buy out Ericcson.  He isn't blocking anyone and the Wings aren't going to compete next season.

Carnac the Magnificent predicts a bevy of healthy scratches for Ericcson's immediate future.

27 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

Carnac the Magnificent predicts a bevy of healthy scratches for Ericcson's immediate future.

Sis Boom Bah!

• Like 1

the Athletic mock:

1. Los Angeles: Kirby Dach, C, Saskatoon-WHL

The names I’ve heard with the Kings are the two Western centers Dach and Dylan Cozens. I don’t think it’s a lock that Dach gets to No. 5, but there’s been very strong interest in him all season from NHL folks despite his just fine numbers because of his elite toolkit. I think if Byram doesn’t go in the top four, he lands here (sorry, Detroit fans).

1. Detroit: Trevor Zegras, C, USNTDP-USHL

I’ve heard Zegras, Dach and Vasili Podkolzin rumored to Detroit. It makes sense given Steve Yzerman’s preference for drafting skill, as well as how little hesitance he shows for drafting Russians. There was skepticism talking to sources at the combine about Zegras being Detroit’s pick, but enough people have pegged him there that I’ll go with that one.

1. Buffalo: Dylan Cozens, C, Lethbridge-WHL

I could see Buffalo go with Caufield or Matthew Boldy here, but Cozens is a more well-rounded player than both and would make Buffalo feel more comfortable than picking an average skater in Boldy or the 5-foot-7 player in Caufield. Cozens could play center or winger to fit multiple ways into the Sabres’ growing stockpile of young forwards.

22 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I had a snide dig ready to go and then deleted it. I think its time I drop the bagging on Kenny bit. As for Ericsson, I don't know that Yzerman would be willing to eat the dead cap space it would require if you bought him out, but we shall see.

Kenny did a great job - but it got stale and he clung to the wrong players (see: Ericsson).   I hope he gets things turned around in Edmonton, I really do.  As for the Wings - it was just time for a change.

Prospect defenseman Jared McIsaac underwent shoulder surgery, will be about 5-6 months.

Bummer, but probably not devastating. 

He played through it the 2nd half of the season and had a good year at Halifax.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2019/06/06/detroit-red-wings-prospect-jared-mcisaac-undergoes-shoulder-surgery/1366558001/

i do not understand how the nhl salary cap works.

43 minutes ago, Buddha said:

i do not understand how the nhl salary cap works.

Nor do I, to be honest, so I rely on others much more knowledgeable to tell me the bottom line.

The Wings have a few bad contracts. But they're getting fewer. And they don't have superstars making in the $10mm range or about to make in that range. So just because they choose to play to the cap every year (rather than Chris I banking the extra money while the team is bad), apparently doesn't mean they're in salary cap ****. I believe that they do have money to spend.

What's confusing about the cap/maybe that graph?  The NHL def has weird rules about some stuff.

The Wings having 0 RFA this offseason is definitely helpful, but Mantha, AA, Bertuzzi, De La Rose, Svechnikov, and Bowey are all RFA next offseason. But Green, Ericsson, Daley, and Howard are all UFA.

49 minutes ago, drownwithyou said:

What's confusing about the cap/maybe that graph?  The NHL def has weird rules about some stuff.

The Wings having 0 RFA this offseason is definitely helpful, but Mantha, AA, Bertuzzi, De La Rose, Svechnikov, and Bowey are all RFA next offseason. But Green, Ericsson, Daley, and Howard are all UFA.

the graph isnt confusing, the cap itself is confusing.

at least it is to me.

Off topic, but there might be a ticker tape parade down Bay St. on Wednesday or Thursday. The fact that it won't be for the Leafs makes this a good offseason in my books.

16 hours ago, Buddha said:

the graph isnt confusing, the cap itself is confusing.

at least it is to me.

Oh okay gotcha, wasn't sure if I could try to help clear something up or what not.

TL/DR...no they will not

I don't mind re-signing Kronwall to a one-year deal as long as it doesn't impede the rebuild.

I trust Y to do the right thing.

Kronwall blocks no-one and probably would play a fair bit.

Same reason why DDK contract doesn't irritate me even though it is terrible.

Bringing back Kronwall and Witkowski doesn't bother me much at all, just place holders until they get some talent.  I wouldn't be shocked if Kronwall retired but he is also close to 1000 games I believe.  Witkowski is just press box fodder and can fill in forward or defense so I guess that's something positive.  Plus the boys seem to love him.

It'll be interesting to see what Cholowski does in camp though.   I hope he trains hard in the off season.  I'm excited for Hronek taking another step forward, I'm hoping he is used as the 1D if he can handle it

On 6/6/2019 at 8:28 AM, kdog said:

the Athletic mock:

Athletic updated their mock yesterday, still have Zegras to Detroit but Byram goes to the Kings right before in this mock.  Caufield to Buffalo after.

6. Detroit Red Wings
Trevor Zegras, C, USNTDP-USHL

An assist-per-game player this season for the USNTDP, Zegras would give Detroit something it doesn’t currently have: a top-notch playmaker to run the power play. Easy to overlook playing on such a loaded team down the middle, Zegras’ vision and passing give him star-caliber potential. The Red Wings need another high-end center to slot into their top six behind Dylan Larkin, and ideally, they’ll also need someone who can get the most out of dynamic winger prospect Filip Zadina. That’s Zegras to a T. He wouldn’t have an issue driving play from the wing, either, giving Detroit flexibility if it wants to play 2018 first-round pivot Joe Veleno higher up the lineup. Zegras’ coach, John Wroblewski, also praised Zegras’ evolution into, “a fiery competitor who will get in people’s faces.” That fits right in with what the Red Wings are trying to build. – Max Bultman

Pronman: The Wings have had a few high picks in recent years but none match the skill level or imaginative abilities Zegras brings. He instantly mans the flank on their first power play unit for a decade and fills a crucial organizational need, while also being a fit on talent. Zegras to Zadina could become a thing. Z to Z? Double Z? Don’t ZZZZ on me … I’ve got better material.

(3. Blackhawks - Turcotte, 4. Avalanche - Cozens, Pronman wrote that he would take Zegras over Cozens though)

so much for jacob trouba.

traded to the rangers.

9 minutes ago, Buddha said:

so much for jacob trouba.

traded to the rangers.

50 pt Dman that is only +8. Actually the Jets have a pretty skewed stat sheet. 3 of their top 6 scorers are in the minus.