Mr.TaterSalad

2019 Red Wings Off Season Thread

21 hours ago, lordstanley said:

I'd be thrilled with Byram, very pleased with Podzolkin and fine with any of the handful of others expected to be in contention around 6. If Byram is available at 5, I'd have a chat with the Kings.

I would be scared of what the Kings would want to give up that pick, I think they would be over the moon with Byram themselves.

Mantha and Hronek had great games at worlds yesterday (two goals each I believe, 1 assist for Hronek and 3 for Mantha).  And Larkin just had a nice snipe while Finland was asleep:

2 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

That is awesome

I feel sorry for whoever put that carpet down.  They are probably dead by now.

18 minutes ago, drownwithyou said:

Keep throwing talent at the D-Line to see what sticks.

Still want Byram, above all other prospects.

And willing to trade a 2nd or two to get him.

24 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Keep throwing talent at the D-Line to see what sticks.

Still want Byram, above all other prospects.

And willing to trade a 2nd or two to get him.

It is tough to expect too much out of these undrafted free agents, but I definitely agree with you on keep grabbing anybody you can and see if it works.  It would be lovely if we could see Kaski get some power play time in the NHL at some point next season.  I can't find the concrete number, but I know a large majority of his points last season in Liga were on the PP.  If you were to stick Zadina on the right half wall and Kaski on the left, the one timer opportunities would be fun....just a dream though.

ESPN Insider wrote on prospect pools, here's the Wings blurb:

A prospects: Filip Zadina and Joseph Veleno
B prospects: Jared McIsaac, Taro Hirose and Filip Larsson

The Red Wings had some high-profile graduates to the big club last season -- including Michael Rasmussen, Dennis Cholowski and Filip Hronek -- and should have a few more next season. Zadina struggled at times with the transition to the AHL, but he acquitted himself well when he earned a call to the Red Wings. Veleno went off during his most recent QMJHL campaign, displaying more offensive upside and his well-known commitment to two-way play. I also thought McIsaac also showed fringe "A" prospect potential with Halifax this season. His numbers were strong, he made Canada's junior team amid a loaded class of defensemen and he has been extremely reliable.
The Red Wings additionally have a lot of guys who are on the edge of "B" status right now. Hirose was added as an undrafted free agent and made an immediate NHL impact last season. Larsson is an exceptional young goalie with a long way to go, but a lot of potential. The top end of Detroit's prospect pool puts them in the upper third of the league.

Breakout prospect: Jared McIsaac

what would you trade for jacob trouba assuming that he would sign a long term deal with the wings after the trade?

42 minutes ago, Buddha said:

what would you trade for jacob trouba assuming that he would sign a long term deal with the wings after the trade?

Something like what is floated in this column. I think 2 or 3 non-1st round picks, with the 3rd of those picks taking effect if Trouba signs with the Wings, or one of those picks getting better (still non-1st round) if Trouba signs with the Wings. When "prospect" is mentioned below, I think that would mean a middling prospect, not  as high as a McIsaac or Linstrom.

https://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2019/5/15/18563537/jacob-trouba-and-the-detroit-red-wings-it-could-happen

When factoring in Trouba, every effort should be made to acquire him and it’s unlikely the Jets would facilitate a trade prior to July 1, unless it resulted in a major prospect from the Wings’ organization going the other way. What would that trade look like to be an enticing enough offer for the Jets’ front office to pull the trigger? Well, keep in mind that the Wings would simply be trading for Trouba’s rights to negotiate a new deal—which there is no guarantee he would sign in Detroit—but, it’s easy to point out that the Wings have a lot of draft capital over the next two seasons (18 total picks and a conditional pick).

Entering this June’s draft, the Jets only have three picks combined (second, fourth and fifth rounds), and it’s important to note that the Wings have four picks in the first two rounds this year. I’m willing to bet that Yzerman would have to part ways with at least two of those picks and possibly a prospect to lure Cheveldayoff into making the deal. The Jets have their own contract disputes to settle this summer as Nathan Beaulieu (RFA), Ben Chiarot (UFA), Bogdan Kiselevich (UFA), Joe Morrow (RFA) and Tyler Myers (UFA) will all enter negotiations. Considering that list, I can’t imagine the Jets keep all of them — including Trouba — and it’s plausible that the Wings could use some combination of their early round draft picks this year plus one or more of their young prospects to entice the Jets into making a deal.

The Athletic on the Wings prospects:

Dylan Larkin and Andreas Athanasiou both topped the 30-goal mark last season, and Anthony Mantha had 25. Larkin, said one source familiar with the team, is a bona fide star closing in on superstardom, and it’s a mantle based in hard work. But the bright spots up front are few and far between. The blue line is constructed in much the same way. A few bright spots surrounded by players on the downside of their careers. Filip Hronek, with 23 points in 46 games, has shown signs of being a top-four defender down the road. Ditto Dennis Cholowski. “He’s so smooth with the puck,” the source said of Cholowski, but he needs to work on his awareness, when and where the pressure is coming from opposing teams.

It would be foolish to suggest Yzerman is inheriting a war chest full of promising young players ready to move the Red Wings back into playoff contention. In fact, charitably the cupboard is about half full. “They’re not close,” the source said. “They’re not close at all.” The good news is that Yzerman and Verbeek know what to do. During their time in Tampa, they built a team that is the envy of the NHL in terms of identifying talented, smart, fast young players and developing them into crackerjack NHL players. “They know what they’re looking for,” the source said. “They have managed money and development as well as anyone over the past decade.”

22 hours ago, Buddha said:

I would try to get them to bite on purely draft picks since they have barely any for next draft, but they probably would want Lindstrom/McIsaac/Hronek too which would be meh to me.  Wings won't be the only bidders unfortunately. 

https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2019/wm/skaters/scoringleaders

Mantha is 3rd in overall points, Hronek leads all defensemen in points so far

Mantha had a pretty between the legs goal against Germany: https://streamable.com/z0xag

Due to injuries I read that Bertuzzi might have to play some defense in the tournament, no clue if he has

3 hours ago, Hongbit said:

So how badly do the Wings need blueline help?

Nope

F that.  I wouldn't root for the Wings until they got rid of Voynov, and even then it would be tough to.  Let him stay in KHL where he belongs. 

Hronek was named the top defenseman of the IIHF world championships which wrapped up Sunday. 

Finland upset Canada 3-1 in the gold medal game.

f594f03e297f4f218d3c419f07cec7e9.jpg.web

783243ca50b146cfa06ccfe0e6d32312.jpg.web

2a0539f6a7924e95bc92b6a54733bf4a.jpg.web

934fcd581fb54f488b745ac5e3ac4c2c.jpg.web

Dear Ken Holland, 

I would like to apologize to you for slamming your commitment to defenceman Jonathan Ericsson.  I think you were right all along, he is an excellent player.   In fact, I think he'd be a great fit for your Edmonton team.    You should make a trade for him.   

• Like 1

Sulak followed Chelios' lead and signed with the KHL.  Not too shocked with Sulak, he can earn more money in the KHL and at his age he had a rough season down in GR.

On 5/30/2019 at 10:39 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

Dear Ken Holland, 

I would like to apologize to you for slamming your commitment to defenceman Jonathan Ericsson.  I think you were right all along, he is an excellent player.   In fact, I think he'd be a great fit for your Edmonton team.    You should make a trade for him.   

I had a snide dig ready to go and then deleted it. I think its time I drop the bagging on Kenny bit. As for Ericsson, I don't know that Yzerman would be willing to eat the dead cap space it would require if you bought him out, but we shall see.