Mr.TaterSalad

2019 Red Wings Off Season Thread

Holland is smart and patient...when given the green light to rebuild, he quickly went about  the business of trading aging or second line players for picks.  He had four picks in the top 40 last year and the Wings will have four in the top 65 or so this year.  That's a lot of talent entering the organization in  short period of time.

Edmonton would have Hronek and Cholowski up all year last season..the Wings smartly forced them to prove competence or better at the AHL level.  The Oilers have lacked that sensibility in the oast.  I don't think they will now

Not sure if good move for Holland, but I'd say it is good for the Oilers and good for the Wings. Oilers fans complaining about signing are nuts, he is a huge upgrade over their old boys club and over Chiarelli. Wings are fully Yzerman's team now.

Thank you for all the great years, Ken Holland.   Everything get stale, even good things.    Belichick is the exception because he's a complete sociopath. 

Holland is taking Tyler Wright and Ryan Martin. Per Bob McKenzie, Pat Verbeek will be joining the Wings from Tampa. Yzerman has big time shot to revamp the entire operation.

9 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I hope Hakkan Anderson stays.

I do too, but as great as he is, he's not the only one anymore - the rest of the league caught up to Detroit and New Jersey with the European scouting.     I guess The Little Ball of Hate is coming to the Wings as Steve's right hand man.  

Sorry kdog, I hadn't seen your post about Verbeek before.    Greatest nickname ever. 

More from McKenzie:

As mentioned on the @TSNHockey #Bobcast on Friday, TB AGM Pat Verbeek will be joining Steve Yzerman in DET. But Jamie Pushor, Stacy Roest and Al Murray will remain with TB. There had been speculation some of them might have gone to DET too but they’re staying with the Bolts.

DETROIT - Detroit Red Wings executive vice president and general manager Steve Yzerman announced today that the team has hired Pat Verbeek as assistant general manager. Verbeek will serve alongside current assistant general manager Ryan Martin in the Red Wings' front office and will focus on player personnel decisions. Martin will continue to serve as general manager of the American Hockey League's Grand Rapids Griffins.

"I'm very excited to return to the Red Wings," said Verbeek. "I want to thank the Ilitch family, Jimmy Devellano, Ken Holland and Steve Yzerman for giving me a start in scouting after my playing career and providing a strong foundation for my managerial career. I'd also like to thank the Tampa Bay Lightning for nine tremendous years. I believe there is an exciting young core here in Detroit, and I'm looking forward to working with the rest of the hockey operations staff to get this team back into contention."

https://www.nhl.com/redwings/news/pat-verbeek-hired-as-assistant-general-manager/c-307237720

Will Bettman/league executives put pressure on the Oilers organization if Kenny decides to send McDavid down and publicly dog the guy like Kenny's done with other prospects?

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

if Kenny decides to send McDavid down and publicly dog the guy like Kenny's done with other prospects?

This is quite possible, because after all Janmark > McDavid  . Clearly.

3 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

This is quite possible, because after all Janmark > McDavid  . Clearly.

Was that Clearly or Cleary?

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Was that Clearly or Cleary?

Cleary, Helm, Abdelkader, Erricson....they are all the same. 

46 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Let it go

It was a joke, sheeesh. Of course I know that not even Kenny is so inept that he would send McDavid down to the AHL.

5 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Would be disappointing if it's true we're not getting Al Murray from Tampa.

Here's a bit of good news. 23 years old, big year in Finland, no guarantees how he'll turn out in the NHL but nice as a lottery ticket.

https://puck77.com/2019/05/06/oliwer-kaski-detroit-red-wings/

His highlights from last season, if nothing else he seems to have a **** of a shot:

5 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Let it go

what's more annoying, tater's dumb holland joke over and over or me repeating that james mccann has an ops of almost 1.000?

On 5/5/2019 at 1:16 PM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Is this a joke? Ken Holland is the exact opposite of smart and patient. Was he smart and patient when he missed out on Suter and Parise and then panicked by bringing back Mikel Samuelsson? Was he smart and patient when he went after Steven Weiss? Was he smart and patient when he panicked and traded for David Legwand? Was he smart when at 24 years old Gustav Nyquist was sitting in the minor leagues and 23 year old Tomas Tatar was sitting in the press box? Was he smart and patient when he gave Frans Nielsen a SIX YEAR DEAL at age 32? Was he smart when he resigned Dan Cleary 3 years running? Was he smart and patient every time he gave one of his own guys an extension out of sheer loyalty and friendship?

Ken Holland is the worst choice Edmonton could have made. Connor McDavid in the AHL, the growth of young players squashed by over the hill players getting multi-year deals, resigning your own players out of sheer loyalty, making panicked trades for washed-up 2nd and 3rd line players. Holland will be a disaster in Edmonton.

Ken Holland still governs and constructs a team as if the NHL has no salary cap. He is one of the worst post-cap GM's in hockey and Edmonton's cap space and flexibility will suffer big time because of Kenny's mismanagement.

Reporter: So Ken, why the decision to send McDavid down to the AHL.

Holland: Well ya know, look, McDavid's got a bright future ahead of him, but really, uhhhhhhh, ya know, this is a men's league and kids aren't the answer.

Wow. I find myself totally agreeing with you....this is really something....let's celebrate this....as good as your post was, it was a little sparse. Please allow me to append to your already stellar comments to present a more holistic view of Kenny's....."DOH!" career here.

Was he a "sharp GM" when he didn't insure Uwe Krupp's contract?

Was he a sharp GM when he didn't sign Hossa and kept Johan Franzen? Injury aside, which I of course don't blame on Kenny, it was already abundantly clear who would have the better career after we won in 2008. It wasn't even a contest.

Was he a smart GM when he signed Jordan Tootoo?

Was he a smart GM when he signed Brad Richards? 

Was he a smart GM when he signed Carlo Colaiacovo? (special LOL here). 

Was he a smart GM when he signed Curtis Joseph?

Was he a smart GM when he signed Ray Whitney?

Was he a smart GM when he signed Derian Hatcher?

Was he a smart GM when he signed Erik Cole?

Was he a smart GM when he signed Kyle Quincey in 2014 for 8.5M after getting fleeced two years earlier (by who else...Steve Yzerman) for a first rounder for Kyle? 

Was he a smart GM when he signed Ian White? In Ian's defense, he called Bettman an idiot, which I have to get behind. But he also was charged with gun related crimes when he left the team, which completely offsets that hilarious comment about Bettman.

Was he a smart GM when he signed Ericsson for 6 years? 

Was he a smart GM when he traded for David Legwand?

Was he a smart GM when he signed Jakub Kindl for 4 years and 10M?

The contract for abby? The contract for helm? 

Good lord....don't let the door hit you in the *** on the way out, Kenny. You also didn't make an impact trade in the last 15 years. I guess you realized you sucked so bad at FA you didn't want to mess it up even more with anything resembling an impact trade.

Anyone got dibs on when the new Edmonton GM will first say "we like our team"?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

A strained and forced joke.

Not only that, but also unfunny. 

• Like 1

Must resist urges to click show posts in the future, wew.

Anyways, here's where Wheeler at the Athletic ranks the top 100 draft prospects, after Hughes and Kakko here is the top 10:

3. Alex Turcotte — C, USDP, 5-foot-11

My favorite line: Turcotte is strong on the puck, powerful when he chooses and careful when he needs to be. Add that to the way he fights to win pucks back and keep plays alive and you’ve got arguably the most complete player in the draft.

4. Dylan Cozens — C, Lethbridge Hurricanes, 6-foot-3

Favorite line: Though I don’t think he projects as a 1C on a contending team at the next level, Cozens has the makings of an up-tempo playmaking centre whose vision and puck protection (both in tight and out wide) can keep up with his feet and carry a top-six line offensively.

5. Bowen Byram — LHD, Vancouver Giants, 6-foot-0

I’ve already broken down Byram’s game as the best defenceman in the draft and a frontrunner for third overall in considerably more detail here but the short of it is that while there is still work to be done on his defensive play, particularly with his effort and his spacial awareness within defensive zone schemes, Byram is one of the better goal scoring defencemen the NHL draft has seen in recent memory.

6. Peyton Krebs — C, Kootenay Ice, 5-foot-11

Krebs can score with his quick, no-drawback, low-kick release in transition (he lacks a one-timer but that’s fine in the grand scheme of things because of the way he gets open), makes plays at full speed (with an impressive top speed) and draws a lot of attention away from his linemates.

7. Matthew Boldy — RW/LW, USDP, 6-foot-2

Boldy’s versatility is a tremendous asset. He put up big numbers without getting the offensive opportunities afforded to a player like Caufield. Though Boldy lacks the high-end speed of many of the players near the top of this draft, I wouldn’t say his skating holds him back because he does such a good job finding space and getting open

8. Kirby Dach — C, Saskatoon, 6-foot-4

There are good odds Dach goes higher than his ranking here (as high as the top five) on the basis of those tools — and it would be hard to blame the team that takes him. He’s huge, he’s strong on the puck, he handles it well in tight (rare for a player his size), he’s a better skater than he gets credit and his length makes him a lot to handle when he drives the net (which he needs to do more often) or controls the puck on the cycle. He’s also a player coaches lean on defensively because he uses his stick effectively to disrupt plays and win battles. 

9. Cam York — LHD, USDP, 5-foot-11

Part of that is probably driven by the strength of this national development program forward crop but York is a star in his own right and is clearly the second-best defencemen in this draft for me. While Hughes and Caufield were making headlines for their record-breaking seasons, York was putting together a campaign (1.03 points per game) that surpassed Erik Johnson (0.94) and Adam Fox (0.92) to set the national program’s record for points by a defenceman with 65.

10. Cole Caufield — RW, USDP, 5-foot-7

Cole Caufield is to comparable shooters in this draft to what Jango Fett was to stormtroopers. The gap has become so pronounced that they’d be prudent to just clone him. Also, he’s short.

Seriously, though: Caufield is brilliant and his size doesn’t concern me. He had no trouble keeping up with the best skater in the draft and though his numbers are certainly inflated by playing most of the season with the best passer in the draft (Hughes is the best at a lot of things, you’re probably noticing), Caufield’s ability to release with speed, release from a standstill, score with his one-timer and go to his backhand is crazy-impressive. Couple those things with his knack for finding space, getting to rebounds and sliding in and out of traffic and you’ve got a player who will be a dominant scoring threat at the University of Wisconsin next season — and someday in the NHL.

He has Podkolzin at 17 ?

Yes the Connor McDavid thing is a joke but if you actually look at Kenny's track record with prospects it bares out. Nyquist sitting in AHL purgatory until 24, Tatar in the pressbox at 23, AA almost cast off from this team.