Mr.TaterSalad

2019 Red Wings Off Season Thread

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

09 gets grief because they lost game 7 at home but 07 sucked too because I recall a bad call hurting them.  

What I remember about '07 is the Wings smothering the Ducks for 19 minutes of the 3rd period in Game 5 but then when the Wings were 45 seconds from taking a 3-2 series lead a bad luck deflection off of Lidstrom's stick tied it for the Ducks (around the 3:00 mark of this clip). Then of course the dreadful whiff by Lilja in OT.

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

The 06 series loss.... I remember at the time thinking Joseph played his *** off and idiot fans would still blame him. 

09 gets grief because they lost game 7 at home but 07 sucked too because I recall a bad call hurting them.  

Yeah... remember when Curtis Joseph was a Red Wing?   

Man, I remember when the big debate was Greg Stefan or Glen Hanlon.  And let's not forget the promise of Tim Cheveldae.

I was so excited in 87 and 88 when they made it to the semis and played the Oilers.  When they won game one I really believed they could win.  Ah youth.

Would Datsyuk be coming back to Detroit? Wasn't he traded to the Coyotes? Don't they hold the team rights?

meh - It's an agent story. I would think if he comes the Wings the team's interest might be more for him to retire as a Wing than play. Then again, I wonder if he may not still be better than Abdelkader?! He probably could show Athanasiou a few things about playing center.

49 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Would Datsyuk be coming back to Detroit? Wasn't he traded to the Coyotes? Don't they hold the team rights?

He becomes an unrestricted free agent in July. 

I would rather have Datsyuk than say... Vanek.  But otherwise thanks but no thanks if it keeps Zadina in the AHL or something.

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I wonder if he may not still be better than Abdelkader?

The very definition of a rhetorical question.

1 hour ago, drownwithyou said:

I would rather have Datsyuk than say... Vanek.  But otherwise thanks but no thanks if it keeps Zadina in the AHL or something.

Kenny's not the GM anymore so I would hope we don't have to worry about this anymore.

They'll sign Datsuk to a 1 day contract so he can retire a Red Wing.

Then Yzerman will bring him on as an Assistant to help scout Russia or something like that...

I don't think he wants it.

The Edmonton Oilers are all-in on Ken Holland. But is the Detroit Red Wings icon ready to commit to Edmonton?

The Oilers hunt for a general manager, being conducted by CEO Bob Nicholson, is ready to wrap up. The Oilers and Holland have conducted extensive negotiations, with sources telling Sportsnet that the important issue of complete autonomy to hire and fire at will has been granted by Edmonton.

39 minutes ago, kdog said:

"It is also suspected that Holland would bring Detroit’s director of amateur scouting Tyler Wright with him". That wouldn't be a surprise, whether Holland goes to Edmonton or Seattle.

2 hours ago, Euphdude said:

Is Holland really a Red Wings icon?

Tater's guess would be that the writer's m, o, and r keys jammed and he typed "ic' instead.

Ken Holland is taking the Edmonton job. They offered him 5 years/$25 million and he accepted. So the whole mythology about him asking Chris Ilitch to bring Stevie in can be put to rest.

it will also allow 19 to bring in his own managerial staff and clear out the dead weight in the org.

3 minutes ago, kdog said:

Ken Holland is taking the Edmonton job. They offered him 5 years/$25 million and he accepted. So the whole mythology about him asking Chris Ilitch to bring Stevie in can be put to rest.

it will also allow 19 to bring in his own managerial staff and clear out the dead weight in the org.

They got robbed, I would have done it for 5/$20M.

It does show that Holland may have a better reputation around the League than he does with Detroit fans.

9 minutes ago, kdog said:

Maybe he found out that the contract on the top of Steve's list to buy out was his.

🏒

A smart, patient GM is just what the Oilers need...Kenny fits the bill.   Neilsen and Abby contracts aside, I think he's done a great job in Detroit.

re Datsyuk...Larionov was an effective 3rd line C at 40 for the Wings in 2002.  But, that was a Championship quality team.  Might be fun to see him as the C between Rasmussen (assuming he isn't in GR) and Zadina (assuming he isn't in GR).  while Veleno gets a year in GR to adjust.

The problem with that scenario is that coming out of camp you might find yourself with Rasmussen/ AA/Zadina as your second line. Based strictly on talent....I don't see a better option.  At that point, do you roll Abby/Datsyuk/ and a re-signed Vanek as your 3rd line?  The Old, Smart and Slow line?   That leaves you With Helm, Glendening and Neilsen  as your 4th line.   That's a nice...albeit very expensive...4th line.

Or do you forget Pavel, resign Vanek and roll Vanek, AA and Zadina as your second line.  Abby, Neilsen and Helm as your third with Glendening, Ehn and De La Rose as your checking line

I think this team needs a scoring wing as badly as it does a front line D prospect.  There is no better sniper in the draft than Caulfield.  Assuming Byram is gone by 6th...I would seriously consider him at 6...although Anaheim seems to love big C's.  If Dach or Cozens is there I  would entertain sending the 6th pick and a our low 2nd round or 3rd round  pick for Anaheim's picks at 8 and 29.   You could then take Caulfield, a D prospect like Vlasic, Heinola or Thompson at 29 and then follow that with John Beecher and D prospects in the 2nd.

Whatever the case...this team doesn't sniff the playoffs next year 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA one of the worst franchises in sports gets one of the worst GM's in sports. You gotta feel bad for Conner McDavid, what with his likely getting sent down to the AHL next year.

1 hour ago, Lei Pong said:

A smart, patient GM is just what the Oilers need...Kenny fits the bill.   Neilsen and Abby contracts aside, I think he's done a great job in Detroit.

Is this a joke? Ken Holland is the exact opposite of smart and patient. Was he smart and patient when he missed out on Suter and Parise and then panicked by bringing back Mikel Samuelsson? Was he smart and patient when he went after Steven Weiss? Was he smart and patient when he panicked and traded for David Legwand? Was he smart when at 24 years old Gustav Nyquist was sitting in the minor leagues and 23 year old Tomas Tatar was sitting in the press box? Was he smart and patient when he gave Frans Nielsen a SIX YEAR DEAL at age 32? Was he smart when he resigned Dan Cleary 3 years running? Was he smart and patient every time he gave one of his own guys an extension out of sheer loyalty and friendship?

Ken Holland is the worst choice Edmonton could have made. Connor McDavid in the AHL, the growth of young players squashed by over the hill players getting multi-year deals, resigning your own players out of sheer loyalty, making panicked trades for washed-up 2nd and 3rd line players. Holland will be a disaster in Edmonton.

Ken Holland still governs and constructs a team as if the NHL has no salary cap. He is one of the worst post-cap GM's in hockey and Edmonton's cap space and flexibility will suffer big time because of Kenny's mismanagement.

Reporter: So Ken, why the decision to send McDavid down to the AHL.

Holland: Well ya know, look, McDavid's got a bright future ahead of him, but really, uhhhhhhh, ya know, this is a men's league and kids aren't the answer.

2 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

They got robbed, I would have done it for 5/$20M.

It does show that Holland may have a better reputation around the League than he does with Detroit fans.

Or it shows that Edmonton has been and continues to be one of the most incompetently run sports franchises around.

On 5/3/2019 at 7:00 PM, lordstanley said:

Tater's guess would be that the writer's m, o, and r keys jammed and he typed "ic' instead.

😄 indeed! He was probably typing from his phone and autocorrect took over.