Mr.TaterSalad

2019 Red Wings Off Season Thread

Steve Yzerman is coming home...will be announced as GM. Ken will be sr vp:

JUST ANNOUNCED: The #RedWings will hold a press conference today at 3 p.m. EST with Christopher Ilitch, Steve Yzerman and Ken Holland. 

Watch live on DetroitRedWings.com, the Detroit Red Wings Facebook page and the Detroit Red Wings Twitter page.

On 4/16/2019 at 11:37 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

Steve Yzerman will be announced as President of Hockey Operations......................when?   

On 4/17/2019 at 12:01 AM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

ANY DAY NOW! FIRE KENNY!

Yes, 

and

No

Not disagreeing with anything anyone has said.  But again, apply those same standards to Ken Holland or any other GM around the league....You can't win it every year...bad luck...can't really blame the GM when the team loses...That absolutely did not happen here when the Wings lost year after year...anyone who says otherwise is lying or has a bad memory. The furor over making Yzerman GM started before he even left for Tampa.

Every team wanted Yzerman?  Um, one rumor of the NYR job is every team?  He's somehow masterful because he kept Stamkos in Tampa? 2 point, -8 Stamkos?  NYI are failures for not keeping Tavares?  The team that swept the Pens and is in the second round? By this standard Ken Holland is God for keeping Nick Lidstrom under market value for years.  

Let the collective erections begin.  

55 minutes ago, Kacie said:

Not disagreeing with anything anyone has said.  But again, apply those same standards to Ken Holland or any other GM around the league....You can't win it every year...bad luck...can't really blame the GM when the team loses...That absolutely did not happen here when the Wings lost year after year...anyone who says otherwise is lying or has a bad memory. The furor over making Yzerman GM started before he even left for Tampa.

Every team wanted Yzerman?  Um, one rumor of the NYR job is every team?  He's somehow masterful because he kept Stamkos in Tampa? 2 point, -8 Stamkos?  NYI are failures for not keeping Tavares?  The team that swept the Pens and is in the second round? By this standard Ken Holland is God for keeping Nick Lidstrom under market value for years.  

Let the collective erections begin.  

yes the Islanders who have a great GM and coach a year after losing Tavares. Nobody even went after Yzerman because it was a fait accompli he was coming to Detroit. They had basically negotiated the parameters last September. Ken Holland's process has been bad for years and on top of that the team has sunk into the bottom of the league. Yzerman's built a super talented roster that hasn't won a cup but went to multiple conference finals and a cup final. If Holland was still doing that, he would be employed for life. 

The player friendly culture that Mike Ilitch built was a huge part of of them signing their own players to good contracts. It also led to Holland overvaluing his own players and signing horrible deals like Ericcson, Abdelkader, Helm, and DeKeyser.

2 hours ago, kdog said:

Steve Yzerman is coming home...will be announced as GM. Ken will be sr vp:

JUST ANNOUNCED: The #RedWings will hold a press conference today at 3 p.m. EST with Christopher Ilitch, Steve Yzerman and Ken Holland. 

Watch live on DetroitRedWings.com, the Detroit Red Wings Facebook page and the Detroit Red Wings Twitter page.

HUZZAH!!!!!!!

10 minutes ago, kdog said:

The player friendly culture that Mike Ilitch built was a huge part of of them signing their own players to good contracts. It also led to Holland overvaluing his own players and signing horrible deals like Ericcson, Abdelkader, Helm, and DeKeyser.

I think what it amounts to is that the Wings went a little soft. How much of that was Mike Ilitch and how much was Holland I can't speak to, but I think that Yzerman should be a good remedy because he is an individual with as high a drive to succeed at everything he does as we have ever seen in this town - and to me what the means is that he is going bring that harder edge to the Wings decision making that it may have lost somewhere along the way. Holland may have overvalued his players, but he has had a pretty decent eye for talent once he had the mandate to rebuild so let's hope it's a strong combination.

Stevie will make a lot more trades to get flexibility. He will be patient but his plan won't be to just wait out the bad contracts and hope for some luck.

21 minutes ago, kdog said:

Stevie will make a lot more trades to get flexibility. He will be patient but his plan won't be to just wait out the bad contracts and hope for some luck.

I can see Yzerman using some of our extra 2nd round picks to create some flexibility.

If there are any doubts which team sport has the best playoffs,   nobody has watched the NHL playoffs this season

Round 1 - ALL FOUR DIVISION CHAMPS GO DOWN ,  ALL FOUR WILD CARDS ADVANCE. 

Maybe you understand the "just get in" mentality a little more now, but man oh man has this been a thrill so far and I don't even have a team I root for. 

• Like 1

The NHL has long had a playoffs where all teams have a chance of advancing.  A combination of different rule enforcement along with hot goaltending are the biggest factors.

14 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

The NHL has long had a playoffs where all teams have a chance of advancing.  A combination of different rule enforcement along with hot goaltending are the biggest factors.

Yes, hot goaltending always a big variable. OTOH, I don't think refs swallow their whistles to near the extent they used to a generation ago, but it's still an effect.

I think the biggest thing in hockey is just that since Hockey is so much about energy output,  younger (or at least healthier better conditioned) teams can beat more highly skilled older teams in a series by playing at an energy level that is not sustainable for them over the whole season - so they don't come in as top seeds. And as the game gets faster, this effect probably increases.

Carolina against Washington last night being the example. Carolina just  beat the Caps to every single loose puck and closed out on every Caps puck carrier for the last 30 minutes of a long game. Same thing happened to a couple of highly seeded Wings teams back in the day.

The interview of Kerry Fraser in the athletic yesterday was a pretty good read about how refs try to operate. 

He also suggested allowing video review of major penalties (or something to that effect).

There also seems to be an adjustment period between the style/tempo/intensity of play between end of the regular season and the beginning of the playoffs and a top-ranked team can suddenly be down a game or two before they know what hit them. Usually by the 2nd round things settle down and upsets become less common.

Also, the elimination of marquee names can come as a surprise, but maybe more of a surprise than warranted if we looked at their regular season play. NYI finished ahead of the Pens and had home ice, so the sweep was surprising but them winning the series shouldn't have been. Carolina only finished 5 points back of a drained Washington team that has played a ton of hockey the past year.  The Blues finished only a point behind the Jets, the Stars only 7 back of Nashville. The only major upsets then were of Tampa and Calgary, IMO.

As much as we talk about hot goaltending being a big factor, I can't recall many times the Wings getting upset could be attributed to a goalie stealing the series. Frankly, for '94 vs Sharks I don't recall. The Devils outplayed the Wings in '95. The Avs outplayed the Wings in '96. The Wings had a meltdown late against the Kings in Game 4 of a 6-game series in 2001, and maybe Osgood could have better stemmed the tide but I don't think he was the cause. 2003 vs. Giguerre and the Ducks could be a legit example, but when you get swept like the Wings there's more to it than that. 2004 and 2006 against Calgary and Edmonton respectively, I recall the Wings playing some very listless hockey for long stretches. True, the Wings would usually outshoot opponents even when they lost, but that was at times misleading.

8 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

As much as we talk about hot goaltending being a big factor, I can't recall many times the Wings getting upset could be attributed to a goalie stealing the series. Frankly, for '94 vs Sharks I don't recall. The Devils outplayed the Wings in '95. The Avs outplayed the Wings in '96. The Wings had a meltdown late against the Kings in Game 4 of a 6-game series in 2001, and maybe Osgood could have better stemmed the tide but I don't think he was the cause. 2003 vs. Giguerre and the Ducks could be a legit example, but when you get swept like the Wings there's more to it than that. 2004 and 2006 against Calgary and Edmonton respectively, I recall the Wings playing some very listless hockey for long stretches. True, the Wings would usually outshoot opponents even when they lost, but that was at times misleading.

Yeah - I don't know if you could say Fuhr ever 'stole' any of those western conference series with the Wings as they were getting better because he played at a high level most of the time, but I remember games in those series where the Wings had the majority of the quality scoring chances and you could reasonably say Fuhr was the difference in the final score. But to some degree that was the way the Oiler rolled. The Great One didn't play much defense, they gave up a lot of chances and it was Fuhr's job in the that scheme to be a strong last line  - esp on breakaways.

The Oilers were clearly *much* better than the Wings in 87-88.  In retrospect, it was pretty remarkable the Wings stood up as well as they did despite losing both series 4-1.

Irbe had a great series in '94.

Giguere was phenominal in '03.

I don't remember '04 or '06 losses well, frankly.

19 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

The Oilers were clearly *much* better than the Wings in 87-88.  In retrospect, it was pretty remarkable the Wings stood up as well as they did despite losing both series 4-1.

LOL - I don't remember which year it was but in the one Edmonton series from that era Gerard Gallant made enough dumb plays to leave me pretty surprised he came up with enough hockey IQ to make it as an NHL coach.  😕

4 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Yeah.  Vegas got hosed.

They did and They didn't.  

The call was a touchy one, yes, but it's because the SECOND guy engaged him while he was in a vulnerable position.  He was hurt.  He wasn't faking it.  Blood was drawn.  If he hand't gotten hurt there, it probably isn't called at all.  But I get why --  the NHL has been fairly consistent and clear when it comes to blood being drawn and he didn't bite his lip to get that call. 

They didn't get hosed in the fact that HOW DID YOU GIVE UP FOUR GOALS LIKE THAT ?     They only have themselves to blame for that.  

The 06 series loss.... I remember at the time thinking Joseph played his *** off and idiot fans would still blame him. 

09 gets grief because they lost game 7 at home but 07 sucked too because I recall a bad call hurting them.  

Yeah... remember when Curtis Joseph was a Red Wing?