Mr.TaterSalad

2019 Red Wings Off Season Thread

If you want to pay Eric Karllson 12 million a year, god bless. Otherwise there isn't anything on the free agent market as most good D are under long term deals. It's either draft or trade.

If Edmonton is terrible again next year and we show signs of life and improvement I wonder if next off-season they would be willing to part with Darnell Nurse via a trade? Probably not, but it couldn't hurt to ask could it?

47 minutes ago, kdog said:

does Tampa going out of the playoffs affect the end date on Yzerman's employment contract?

On 4/15/2019 at 6:50 PM, kdog said:

If you want to pay Eric Karllson 12 million a year, god bless. Otherwise there isn't anything on the free agent market as most good D are under long term deals. It's either draft or trade.

that's the thing.  the wings dont have the money to sign a game changing top line defenseman this year, so why waste money on another veteran band aid for a team that isn't going anywhere next year?

keep your powder dry until you can afford a #1 defenseman and it will help you take the next step.  dont waste it on the margins that wont make that much of a difference and will clog your cap in the future.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

ANY DAY NOW! FIRE KENNY!

Kenny's not going anywhere.    If Yzerman is hired, it will likely be as President, not GM.

48 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Kenny's not going anywhere.    If Yzerman is hired, it will likely be as President, not GM.

I'm not really sure why Wings fans are expecting some seismic change if Yzerman is brought in.  He amassed talent in Tampa but couldn't build a winner.  If Holland had done the same thing, Wings fans wouldn't want to touch him with a ten foot pole.

Stoney from 971 said his contract with Tampa expires on July 15th fwiw.

3 minutes ago, Kacie said:

I'm not really sure why Wings fans are expecting some seismic change if Yzerman is brought in.  He amassed talent in Tampa but couldn't build a winner.  If Holland had done the same thing, Wings fans wouldn't want to touch him with a ten foot pole.

Process<> results. Sometimes bad stuff happens and you dont' win it all. In the post cap world, he has gone to the conference finals 4 times since 2011 and the cup finals once. He also convinced Stamkos to resign in a non-traditional hockey market over going to Toronto. That's something a team in New York couldn't do with Tavares.

He has made some poor moves but his draft/develop and trade moves have been top notch. If you can't see the difference between his team building and Kenny Holland, I can't really help you. When was the last time Kenny made an actual hockey trade and not a sell for prospects deal?

28 minutes ago, kdog said:

Process<> results. Sometimes bad stuff happens and you dont' win it all. In the post cap world, he has gone to the conference finals 4 times since 2011 and the cup finals once. He also convinced Stamkos to resign in a non-traditional hockey market over going to Toronto. That's something a team in New York couldn't do with Tavares.

He has made some poor moves but his draft/develop and trade moves have been top notch. If you can't see the difference between his team building and Kenny Holland, I can't really help you. When was the last time Kenny made an actual hockey trade and not a sell for prospects deal?

yup - it's not like a certain team that wears red never won a President's cup and washed out of the playoffs. It happens.

10 hours ago, Buddha said:

that's the thing.  the wings dont have the money to sign a game changing top line defenseman this year, so why waste money on another veteran band aid for a team that isn't going anywhere next year?

Apparently, they actually do have the money. Don't ask me to explain the cap tables, I really don't know how. But Holland has said the Wings can afford $10mm-$15mm of new signings this summer and analysts seem to have backed that up. But yes, any signing absolutely would need to be a Tier 1 player, not two Tier 2 players or, worse, a Tier 2 player and a couple of Tier 3 players.

11 hours ago, Buddha said:

keep your powder dry until you can afford a #1 defenseman and it will help you take the next step.  dont waste it on the margins that wont make that much of a difference and will clog your cap in the future.

This.

Related... an excellent Red Wings 2019 Offseason article I agree 100% with...:

https://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2019/4/17/18304968/rebuilding-the-red-wings-my-approach-to-the-2019-offseason

26 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

... or, worse, a Tier 2 player and a couple of Tier 3 players.

Although this is what we know Holland will end up doing...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kacie said:

Sarcasm?

22 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

yup - it's not like a certain team that wears red never won a President's cup and washed out of the playoffs. It happens.

LOL, so you're telling me in 96 when the Wings won 62 games and lost in the WCF, Wings fans did a collective shrug and said oh, well, can't win it every year.  At least we have amassed talent?!  Management is a success!

If you want a GM that can make trades, draft well and amass talent and not succeed in the playoffs, why not David Poile?  Or Jim Nill?

As was also mentioned, Holland is not going any where.  We don't know how much control he has over contracts and trades or if he's just following the owner's wishes. 

I get the Stevie Y fan girl thing, but at least admit that is what it is and that he isn't being held to the same standard because of it.

1 minute ago, Kacie said:

LOL, so you're telling me in 96 when the Wings won 62 games and lost in the WCF, Wings fans did a collective shrug and said oh, well, can't win it every year.  At least we have amassed talent?!  Management is a success!

If you want a GM that can make trades, draft well and amass talent and not succeed in the playoffs, why not David Poile?  Or Jim Nill?

As was also mentioned, Holland is not going any where.  We don't know how much control he has over contracts and trades or if he's just following the owner's wishes. 

I get the Stevie Y fan girl thing, but at least admit that is what it is and that he isn't being held to the same standard because of it.

Sportz?

51 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Sportz?

OE%.  It's the future.

2 hours ago, Kacie said:

I am sure both organizations did / will do a hard assessment at the end of the season to attempt to address concerns.

Beyond that I think it is hard to know how much blame should be assigned to various people in the organization being outside of the thing.

2 hours ago, Kacie said:

Yzerman's successes since he hung up his skates speak for themselves. Is Det fan girlism the reason his name is coming up with regard to every management opening in the league? In a 4 year stretch Yzerman's Tampa team made their conference finals twice and the cup finals. The Wings were the closest thing to a dynasty in the last 50 years and in their glory days they still had trouble figuring out how to build a team that could both get them to the playoffs and win once there - where the officiating usually shifts and you can't control the match-up you happen to draw. Even being the best team in a sport doesn't mean you will match up well enough against every other possible team to beat them with high probability in a short series. That is a much higher bar (in reality an impossible one) and why since the Oiler superteam broke up no-one has won more than two cups in 5 yrs,

3 hours ago, Kacie said:

Even a top team has maybe a 15% chance of winning the Cup, when entering the playoffs. 

Looking ahead to the 2019-2020 season, as of today is there any roster you would have rather than Tampa's?