Mr.TaterSalad

2019 Red Wings Off Season Thread

19 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Do you think Kronwall is worthy of having a number retired?

No. We are not the Canucks.

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Yes, I believe he hit he crossbar with 2-3 minutes left.

I've never been so infuriated with league rules and management as I was during that series. I'll never understand how Egveni Malkin escaped a suspension for violating the league's Instigator Rule during Game 2. Colin Campbell is still dead to me for his refusal to suspend Malkin simply because of who he was.

Penguins also had too many men on the ice in game 3 on with the Wings up 2-0 in the game and 2-0 in the series..... it may have even been a power play.

1 minute ago, Oblong said:

Penguins also had too many men on the ice in game 3 on with the Wings up 2-0 in the game and 2-0 in the series..... it may have even been a power play.

Yep, just another thing to be furious about with that series. That's one of those losses I'll never get over.

9 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Do you think Kronwall is worthy of having a number retired?

There is only one number they need to retire right now and that's #91.   

• Like 2

Carolina signs Jake Gardiner to a 4-year deal at a 4.05mm/yr cap hit. I thought he'd get more than that. Compare that to DeKeyser's 6 years @ $5.0mm for example!

On 9/6/2019 at 3:37 PM, drownwithyou said:

Game against the Chicago prospects begins in under 30 min

edit: Seider is a beauty to watch skate

After today's practice/morning skate, Mo Seider told me he was leaning towards staying in North America to play, either in #Detroit or Grand Rapids. Final call is the #RedWings he indicated. #NHLProspectsTournament
10:17 AM · Sep 9, 2019·Twitter Web App

I would be stoked if Seider stayed over in Grand Rapids.  From the little that I've seen of him I think he could hang there well enough, and it makes him an intriguing call up option if there are injuries.

The Red Wings prospects defeated the Dallas Stars prospects (you like that Nill?!) yesterday 6-5 to win the championship.  I thought Veleno and Seider looked fantastic.  Zadina was definitely pressing because he wasn't scoring, but had some very nice assists.  I actually thought Givani Smith had a good showing as well.  One of the intriguing players for me was Soderblom (6th round pick last draft, 6'7'' center) as he seemed to move really well for his size and have decent hands.  He's still very much a work in progress but he's interesting.  I thought the Ohio State goalie Romeo on a free agent invite played pretty well (while Fulcher looks BAD).

Tournament Stats:

5w85jrw8qul31.jpg?width=826&auto=webp&s=

what are the odds veleno ends up being a better player than zadina?

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

what are the odds veleno ends up being a better player than zadina?

Great question. Maybe 25-33%? I'm kinduv hoping Veleno doesn't, because in order to do so that would likely mean that Zadina would need to disappoint. But no way would Veleno go #30 in a redraft today, maybe #11-#15?

22 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Great question. Maybe 25-33%? I'm kinduv hoping Veleno doesn't, because in order to do so that would likely mean that Zadina would need to disappoint. But no way would Veleno go #30 in a redraft today, maybe #11-#15?

Personally I would invert these odds (and wouldn't be disappointed if this happened either) because Veleno's skill set as a center vs. Zadina's skill set as a winger.

If they both reach their peak, in my estimation Veleno's two way game at center would be more "valuable"... but if Zadina does have elite scoring then that would be tougher for a team to find if that makes any sense....  

it seems to be that zadina has been kind of a disappointment so far and veleno has been a revelation.

now thar may change as they get older and the competition level changes, but thats my impression so far.

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

it seems to be that zadina has been kind of a disappointment so far and veleno has been a revelation.

This is a fair assessment, especially with Veleno improving his release and opening up his offensive game since the draft.  But, I do wonder what the narrative would be like if Zadina went back to the QMJHL like Veleno did instead of playing in the AHL as an 18 year old.

1 hour ago, drownwithyou said:

This is a fair assessment, especially with Veleno improving his release and opening up his offensive game since the draft.  But, I do wonder what the narrative would be like if Zadina went back to the QMJHL like Veleno did instead of playing in the AHL as an 18 year old.

me too.  let's see what veleno does this year when the competition gets bigger and faster.

15 hours ago, Buddha said:

me too.  let's see what veleno does this year when the competition gets bigger and faster.

I'm hoping Veleno plays with Zadina too, a quick glance at the Griffins' roster and Veleno would have the most offensive talent of their C's imo.  Zadina needs to be with a dynamic center!

One thing I will say regarding Veleno is in watching him twice in person in the pre-season last year, and I walked away favorably impressed with his on ice intelligence.  Just lots of little things he did on zone entries, back checks, puck distribution/decision making that often aren't a strength of prospects.

I think Zedina has a higher to much higher ceiling, but would guess Joe has a higher floor?  Haven't watched Z to make a fair comparison (or enough of Joe, honestly).

In any event, I think Joe will be a responsible, high-percentage play type player if he manages to be a regular at the NHL level.

I have a feeling that the Wings might actually be decent this year.   Playoff bubble decent, but that's a step up. 

The defense is going to be interesting.    They have some pretty good young talent but older guys are blocking them.   I really want to see Kaski, Lindstrom, Cholowski playing this year (for most of the year).......it seems like Ericsson & Daley are in the way.    Just give Ericsson his money and let him go.   Daley will be injured out of the lineup soon enough.  

3 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I have a feeling that the Wings might actually be decent this year.   Playoff bubble decent, but that's a step up. 

The defense is going to be interesting.    They have some pretty good young talent but older guys are blocking them.   I really want to see Kaski, Lindstrom, Cholowski playing this year (for most of the year).......it seems like Ericsson & Daley are in the way.    Just give Ericsson his money and let him go.   Daley will be injured out of the lineup soon enough.  

You have to imagine Green, Ericsson, and Daley will be injured at SOME point this season.  I was encouraged that they scratched Ericsson a few times last season at least too.