Mr.TaterSalad

2019 Red Wings Off Season Thread

21 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Holland garnering praise online today for somehow managing to unload Milan Lucic to Calgary for James Neal straight up.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/ken-holland-appreciation-thread.2669689/

I think Edmonton included a pick/retained some salary but this still seems like a win for them.  Neal has a much better chance to bounce back as a goal scorer, especially with McDavid (although if he isn't scoring he reallllyyyy doesn't do anything else) and now the Oilers don't have to auto-protect Lucic in the Seattle expansion due to his NMC (although if he waived it for Calgary maybe he waives for expansion?).

15 hours ago, lordstanley said:

With training camps around the corner, the nice thing about my daughter figure skating this week is that I could catch some NHLers playing 4 on 4 on the adjacent rink today. Morgan Reilly, Matthew Barzal, Alexander Kerfoot (ex-Av traded to the Leafs in the Kadri trade), Tyler Johnson, Danton Heinen of the Bruins, Nic Petan who played for the Jets and Leafs last year, plus some lesser names and minor leaguers. I was at the boards beside Ray Ferraro.

15 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Did Ray recognize you in your Johnny O jersey?

I was there for figure skating and was unprepared for a hockey game to break out. So I was wearing sequins.

• Haha 1

Red Wings acquire forward Adam Erne from Lightning for 2020 pick

Detroit — General manager Steve Yzerman went to his former employer to make his first trade with the Red Wings.

The Wings acquired forward Adam Erne from the Tampa Bay Lightning on Wednesday for a 2020 fourth-round pick, adding to the Wings' depth up front.

Erne, 24, had 20 points (seven goals, 13 assists) and 159 hits in 65 games in Tampa last season, while playing just over 10 minutes per game on the talent-rich, deep Lightning roster.

I'm digging the trade.  A future fourth round pick isn't much to give up and Erne sounds like he could be an upgrade over a lot of the players in the mix for the bottom six role on the team.  He signed a one-way $1,050,000 deal today too, so he'll be RFA/Arbitration Eligible after this year too so controllable based on how he does in Detroit.  

Plus it continues the tradition of obtaining Lightning players who have fought young Wings:

29 minutes ago, drownwithyou said:

I'm digging the trade.  A future fourth round pick isn't much to give up and Erne sounds like he could be an upgrade over a lot of the players in the mix for the bottom six role on the team.  He signed a one-way $1,050,000 deal today too, so he'll be RFA/Arbitration Eligible after this year too so controllable based on how he does in Detroit.  

I agree that for the cost of a 4th rounder it's a good deal to take a look for a year.

14 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

That's a really good move.     He's a more physical version of Anthony Mantha.    Good value in this trade. 

He's  nowhere close to Mantha. But seems like a fine get for a 4th rounder. Worth it if he plays 60 games in the bottom 6 this season.

So Pronman is running through all the farm systems and he just published his report at Detroit who came in at 13th on his list, down from 7 last year

https://theathletic.com/1152340/2019/08/22/2019-nhl-farm-system-rankings-no-13-detroit-red-wings/

I'm gonna give a short blurb from each player since it is a paywall, he graduated Rasmussen, Cholowski, and Hronek from last year's pool.

1. Zadina (Tier - High end prospect)

"He has so much talent. His hands are near elite level, and he’s an excellent playmaker.He has so much talent. His hands are near elite level, and he’s an excellent playmaker."

2. Seider (Tier - High end/very good bubble)

"While he’s not dynamic, he can make plays and shows great poise with the puck.  Defensively he’s a rock with his wingspan, feet and defensive acumen and projects as a tough minutes player in the NHL."

3. Veleno (Very good prospect)

"I like the player and think that, while he’s not overly flashy, he’s skilled enough that he’ll find ways to score. With that said, I did see many games where, despite scoring, he didn’t truly pop."

4. Berggren (Very good)

"He’s a highly skilled and intelligent forward. Berggren sees the whole ice very well and regularly makes creative passes or tough dishes through seams."

5. Kaski (Very good/legit bubble)

"I could see him carve out a role as power play guy who is average at 5-on-5, but I could also see him not being reliable enough at even strength."

6. Mastrosimone (Very good/legit)

"He can set up his teammates, but he also has a hard, accurate shot and can score from a distance. He’s small but competes well and gives it his all each shift."

7. McIsaac (Very good/legit)

" I don’t know if he’ll be a point producer in the NHL, but it’s possible. He could be slotted into a lot of roles as a pro due to his well-rounded skill set."

8. Regula (Legit NHL Prospect)

"Regula will never be a highlight reel player, but he can make stops, move pucks fine and has a pro frame, so he could be a third-pair defender."

9. Grewe (Legit)

"He goes over the line at times, a lot of his penalties this season were due to excess physicality. Grewe isn’t a grinder, though. He’s got great puck skills and makes skilled plays into the tough areas. He could be a fan favorite and a player rival fans hate."

10. Larsson (Legit)

"What makes Larsson an NHL prospect is his hockey sense. He tracks pucks very well and I’m a big fan of his positional play in net. He always seems to be moving with the puck without extra effort, and even when he loses it he finds it very quickly."

11. Svechnikov (Legit/Chance bubble)

12. Hirose (Legit/Chance)

13. Pearson (Legit/Chance)

14. Tuomisto (Legit/Chance)

15. Kivenmaki (Has a chance)

16. Hickets (Chance)

17. Phillips (Chance)

18. Barton (Chance)

19. Johansson

20. Eliasson

21. Kuffner

22. Petruzzelli

DEPTH PLAYERS: Lindstrom, Saarijarvi, Turgeon, Setkov, Moore, Kotkansalo

Organizational Top 10 (23 and Under)
Dylan Larkin, C (23)
Filip Zadina, RW (19)
Filip Hronek, D (21)
Moritz Seider, D (18)
Michael Rasmussen, LW (20)
Dennis Cholowski, D (21)
Joe Veleno, C (19)
Jonatan Berggren, RW (19)
Robert Mastrosimone, LW (18)
Jared McIsaac, D (19)

I was surprised to look up and see that Hirose had only played 10 games last season. I thought he had already played enough to have more of a track record.

Have Rasmussen and Cholowski both really graduated? I could see both of them playing more than half their games in GR this season.

3 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Surprised to see Hronek above Seider

My guess is that Hronek's play with the Czechs this offseason boosted him quite a bit.  Also he was playing pretty well at the end of the year, but I imagine (or hope?) Seider's ceiling is above Hronek's.

2 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Have Rasmussen and Cholowski both really graduated? I could see both of them playing more than half their games in GR this season.

He hinted at Cholowski being in the AHL again to start next season so I'm honestly not sure what his cutoff is, I'm guessing the 10 games or whatever that Zadina didn't attain to slide his contract?

3 hours ago, lordstanley said:

I'm surprised that Lindstrom isn't in the top 22, if  I'm interpreting the list correctly.

This was one of my first thoughts to be honest, I thought the Wings were still pretty bullish on him.  I don't disagree with his other "depth" designations but i had hoped Lindstrom would be about where Regula is....

On 8/22/2019 at 3:12 PM, lordstanley said:

I'm surprised that Lindstrom isn't in the top 22, if  I'm interpreting the list correctly.

OH MY GOD,  IT'S  LIDSTRO..............Oh wait................sorry. 

Not sure how much, if any, programming from Canada's Sportsnet network is carried in the U.S. on say the NHL Network or NBCSN. But 3-long time Sportsnet panelists were let go yesterday - Nick Kypreos, John Shannon and Doug Maclean.

On 8/29/2019 at 12:51 PM, lordstanley said:

Not sure how much, if any, programming from Canada's Sportsnet network is carried in the U.S. on say the NHL Network or NBCSN. But 3-long time Sportsnet panelists were let go yesterday - Nick Kypreos, John Shannon and Doug Maclean.

Im very surprised they let Doug Maclean go.    

Is Kronwall really retiring or is this a backdoor deal so Kenny can bring him to Edmonton? Joking aside, Kronwall was a **** of a lot of fun to watch on the ice for many years. I will never forget the time I thought he killed Martin Havlat. He knocked poor Havlat out freaking cold! Not quite at the level of Scott Stevens taking Paul Karyia's head off, Kronny'***** was dirty like Stevens was, but still a head pounding hit by none-the-less.

Didn't he hit the post in the final minute of game 7 in 2009?

Another Kronwalled moment I thoroughly enjoyed was in the (2010 I believe) playoffs when he hit Ryan Clowe so hard he took him off both skates, straight up into the air and back down on his butt.

8 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Didn't he hit the post in the final minute of game 7 in 2009?

Yes, I believe he hit he crossbar with 2-3 minutes left.

I've never been so infuriated with league rules and management as I was during that series. I'll never understand how Egveni Malkin escaped a suspension for violating the league's Instigator Rule during Game 2. Colin Campbell is still dead to me for his refusal to suspend Malkin simply because of who he was.

5 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Yes, I believe he hit he crossbar with 2-3 minutes left.

I've never been so infuriated with league rules and management as I was during that series. I'll never understand how Egveni Malkin escaped a suspension for violating the leagues Instigator rule during Game 2. Colin Campbell is still dead to me for his refusal to suspend Malkin simply because of who he was.

And rushing the SCF scheduling while Lidstrom was recovering from a catastrophic injury to a testicle.

Kronwall always will be a Cup-winning warrior.  His last few years dont taint his legacy for me, his body just got beat up and worn down.

14 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Do you think Kronwall is worthy of having a number retired?

No

That is more of a tribute to the Wings organization than it is a slight on Kronwall.