Mr.TaterSalad

2019 Red Wings Off Season Thread

Just now, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Filppula was fine when he was here before.  Letting him walk and using that money to sign Weiss instead was a really poor decision.

I don't remember if it was Yzerman himself that said it or it was just mentioned the article in the DNews but it makes sense that picking up guys who are responsible in their own ends is going to give them more freedom to play more inexperienced guys.

Which ties into moving AA back to wing.

I have been a big a detractor of AA as anyone, and I was really impressed by how much his game has matured this past season, for lack of a better term, but he isn't a center.

All that really matters is that the Canucks are bringing back the flying skate logo with the black, yellow and red jerseys.   Most is right with the world again.  

That killer whale logo was stupid. 

16 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Not a fan at all. I don't see what Filpulla does except sit in the way and take a roster spot up from a guy who might otherwise get the call. This is a textbook Kenny move, surprisingly not made by Kenny.

Like who?  Veleno is only 19, so is Zadina.  We saw what happened to Rasmussen last year when he was up here at that age.  This isn't Nyquist and Tatar playing in the minors until they are 24.  Not only that, but even if any of them proved worthy of ice time, it wouldn't be at center any time soon.  The only ones they'd have to beat out are Ehn or de la Rose.

It's a totally no risk situation. I'd have preferred one year, but two is no big issue.  Hopefully there isn't a NMC.  Otherwise, I can't see what all the fuss is about.  If by some off chance one of the young guys explodes in camp, you trade him to Edmonton for a first rounder.  On defense, right now, it's just a matter of needing bodies.  Daley, Green, Kronwall and Ericsson are all huge question marks due to age and health.  Nemeth will not be blocking Cholo or Seider or anyone else if they prove ready.

the young talent isnt ready.  sign stop gap veterans until they are.  no worries.

it's not going to be pretty again next year, but we knew that already.

7 minutes ago, Buddha said:

the young talent isnt ready.  sign stop gap veterans until they are.  no worries.

it's not going to be pretty again next year, but we knew that already.

Last years Wings were a team that could look good desptite being bad. They had a couple of nice stretches last season. It would keep it interesting if they can have a couple of those again - provide a tease for a level a play they can hit but not sustain without more depth.

Last season, if three (or four) of Larkin, Bert, Mantha and AA were on top of their game, they could complete with anyone.

Problem is that only happens 20% of the time or something.

They need to add at least 2 more guys at that level of effectiveness and/or really improve the D to take the next step.

Yzerman said he has potential open spot at right wing.

“I don’t want to fill it just to fill it just because it gives us some options for some of our younger players to see if they’re ready, and it leaves opportunity maybe for something to come along between now and the start of the regular season,” Yzerman said. “So, I’m not really in a hurry, but if I could add another winger, I would consider that. And potentially maybe look at another defenseman. But we weigh adding another one versus just leaving a spot for one of our younger guys on the roster, maybe decide it at training camp or after training camp. If the right player and the right contract comes along, we would consider signing another one.”

Yzerman said even if they sign another forward, he expects young players and prospects (like Michael Rasmussen, Filip Zadina and Evgeny Svechnikov) to compete for a spot in camp.

“If they’re ready to play, they’re going to push somebody out and we’ll deal with it at that time,” Yzerman said. “It gives us a little protection if they’re not ready to go in the fall.”

The dearth of centers on the roster probably makes the Fil signing a bit more palatable. Of course, that makes me question why reaching for Seider was wise given the need.

The defense is really ugly at the moment.   Nemeth was a healthy scratch in the playoffs and he’s in the conversation for top pairing with young Hronek who looks good.   Ericsson and Daley are shells of themselves should both be retired and Green is not far off.  Bowey is a castoff project and Dekeyser is meh.    Its scary bad. 

4 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

All that really matters is that the Canucks are bringing back the flying skate logo with the black, yellow and red jerseys.   Most is right with the world again.  

That killer whale logo was stupid. 

Whatcha talkin' about, Willis?

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/new-canucks-jerseys-embrace-past-present-but-mostly-future

The now-familiar orca crest, which first debuted for the 1997 season, remains the prominent feature of the home-and-away jersey design. 

“We stuck with the orca logo, which has now been the longest-running part of our identity. We’ve had this logo for 22 seasons of our 50. We love it. It’s so representative of B.C. and so iconic to us, so, we didn’t want to move away from that,” Young says.

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

The defense is really ugly at the moment.   Nemeth was a healthy scratch in the playoffs and he’s in the conversation for top pairing with young Hronek who looks good.   Ericsson and Daley are shells of themselves should both be retired and Green is not far off.  Bowey is a castoff project and Dekeyser is meh.    Its scary bad. 

Right.  I'd bet that Hronek and probably Dekeyser are the only 2 names out of that who will be one of the Wings' top 6 defensemen on their next playoff team. Plus Seider. Plus one of Cholo/McIsaac/someone else in system.  Plus at least 2 guys who aren't on the Wings or in the organization yet.

3 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

D is just as big a need, so presumably Steve took the guy he thinks will make the best pro.

correct answer.

10 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

The Tigers had the opportunity to buy more prospects by agreeing to carry more salary when they were cleaning house the last couple of years but didn't very much - a bit with JV. We'll see if that carries over the Wings I guess.

Yesterday, Ryan Hana from the Winged Wheel Podcast noticed that Tyler Wright was no longer listed on the Red Wings Hockey Operations page.

Tyler Wright, Director of Amateur Scouting, is no longer listed on the Detroit Red Wings official Hockey Operations page. #LGRW pic.twitter.com/mdQIYaPiQd

— Ryan Hana (@RyanHanaWWP) July 10, 2019

This led to public speculation that Wright was moving on from the Red Wings, and today it became official.

Ansar Khan of MLive reported that Wright had been let go from his position as the director of amateur scouting, which he has held since 2013. He further reports that Kris Draper, currently an assistant to general manager Steve Yzerman is expected to replace him.

Also according to Khan:

Jeff Finley, chief amateur scout, and amateur scout Andrew Dickson also have been released.

Long-time pro scout Glenn Merkosky has retired. Fellow pro scout Archie Henderson is expected to join the Oilers.

This doesn’t really come as a shock, since incoming GMs often make changes to the existing structure of the organization. Nor is it shocking that Wright is expected to re-join Ken Holland in Edmonton, as that had been speculated ever since Holland accepted the Oilers job.

With the draft behind them, the timing makes sense for Detroit to make moves like this. The only question is if there are more moves coming.