Jump to content
Mr.TaterSalad

2019 Red Wings Off Season Thread

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

I wonder at which point in the 1st round, if any, Yzerman would be interested in trading up to grab goalie Spencer Knight. If he's still available at 15? If he's still available at 20?

 

For what it is worth, Pronman seems to think the Wild may be deciding between Knight and Podkolzin at 12, ultimately has Knight being taken at 16 by the Avalanche.  TSN has him at 13 to Florida.

 

I admittedly haven't done my homework on him so I'm surprised he's being mocked so high.  Personally, I wouldn't mind trading up to grab a center or defenseman that falls or something instead of Knight in the teens.  I still have hope that Filip Larsson turns into something for the Wings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FanDuel Michigan Sports Betting

FanDuel Michigan $100 Launch Offer

Michigan online sports betting is launching shortly ( December 2020 or January 2021). Pre-register at FanDuel Sportsbook and get $50 free sports bets + $50 free online casino bets with no deposit necessary. Claim $100 at FanDuel Michigan Now

1 hour ago, drownwithyou said:

For what it is worth, Pronman seems to think the Wild may be deciding between Knight and Podkolzin at 12, ultimately has Knight being taken at 16 by the Avalanche.  TSN has him at 13 to Florida.

 

I admittedly haven't done my homework on him so I'm surprised he's being mocked so high.  Personally, I wouldn't mind trading up to grab a center or defenseman that falls or something instead of Knight in the teens.  I still have hope that Filip Larsson turns into something for the Wings.

I'd talk to the Canucks about their #10 pick five minutes before they're on the clock if Podkolzin is still available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, lordstanley said:

I'd talk to the Canucks about their #10 pick five minutes before they're on the clock if Podkolzin is still available.

I like where your head is at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Buddha said:

assuming hughes and kakko go 1-2 and the wings stay at 6, who do you hope they draft?

1) byram

2) zegras

3) turcotte

Byram is my top choice as the cupboard is pretty bare defensively and Byram projects to be a #1 pairing guy who can move the puck, has a good shot and can score. He gives this organization just what we need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Byram is my top choice as the cupboard is pretty bare defensively and Byram projects to be a #1 pairing guy who can move the puck, has a good shot and can score. He gives this organization just what we need.

Would you trade a 2nd rounder to move up to #4 and get Byram?

Asking this of anyone...

That assumes Turcotte is taken at #3 and is not available to us... and that in order to get Byram we'd have to make the move up to #4. And that no other player (Zegras, etc.) would capture Yzerman's interest the way Byram could (potentially).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Would you trade a 2nd rounder to move up to #4 and get Byram?

 

Yes!  But I don't think that would be enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

How did Chara or Karlsson get any votes?

Or Jake Muzzin. I guess for 11th place downwards it just takes one guy (with the puzzling exception of Karlsson's 4 votes).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lordstanley said:

Or Jake Muzzin. I guess for 11th place downwards it just takes one guy (with the puzzling exception of Karlsson's 4 votes).

There are always going to be a few people that pick random names to fill out their ballot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Would you trade a 2nd rounder to move up to #4 and get Byram?

Asking this of anyone...

That assumes Turcotte is taken at #3 and is not available to us... and that in order to get Byram we'd have to make the move up to #4. And that no other player (Zegras, etc.) would capture Yzerman's interest the way Byram could (potentially).

I would let the draft come to me, take the best players on my board and accumulate as many young assets as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Longgone said:

I would let the draft come to me, take the best players on my board and accumulate as many young assets as possible.

this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Yes!  But I don't think that would be enough.

Probably not. They would either want a prospect or potentially a future 1st to make that deal. I'd at least ask about moving up to 4th though and I trust Yzerman to do his due diligence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oilers fan here hoping for Dach or Zegras to drop to 8. What do you think about Detroit reaching for a Dman at 6 assuming Byram is off the board, what are some of the rumors you guys are hearing about Yzerman's preference?

The only rumor I heard about Detroit is a possible trade back then take a Dman. I'm just hoping the Oilers don't take Broberg at 8 but Holland has me worried with this stock up on Dmen mentality. There's a new rumor that he's trying to trade for Mrazek's UFA rights which I thought you all might find interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting about Mrazek.

The Wings won't pick a defenseman other than Byram at #6.

What about a Puljujarvi for McIsaac deal (Wings drafted him #35 overall last year)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Interesting about Mrazek.

The Wings won't pick a defenseman other than Byram at #6.

What about a Puljujarvi for McIsaac deal (Wings drafted him #35 overall last year)?

Eww, no thanks. I don't mind McIsaac but I think that's selling low 

The Oilers should only trade him if the trade makes sense rather than trade him at low value. He can rot in Europe in the meantime.

What do you think of Mrazek? He's been inconsistent throughout his career but he seems like the best option on the UFA market in a reasonable price range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would summarize him / his play in Detroit as such:

Mrazek is a big goalie with good to great athleticism.  That alone will mean he will have stretches where he is a very good goalie.

In terms of technique / precision, he is probably bottom third of the league or something.  He is prone to over sliding or otherwise over-reacting to a scoring opportunity, which makes him prone to being out of position if an extra pass is made.  This alone will mean he will have stretches where he is marginal / prevents him for sustaining a high level of effectiveness.

I do not know how much (if at all) he cleaned up his shortcoming up in Carolina, as I have not watched much Hurricanes hockey.  It usually is really, really hard to tighten / clean up that sort of thing up.

My guess is on a team with good to great D, he would not be a liability at least, and could be a strength.  He would have been a good fit for the Wings 15-20 years ago.  Not to knock Osgood, but if Chris could rack up 350-400 wins, Petr could have as well in that environment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I would summarize him / his play in Detroit as such:

Mrazek is a big goalie with good to great athleticism.  That alone will mean he will have stretches where he is a very good goalie.

In terms of technique / precision, he is probably bottom third of the league or something.  He is prone to over sliding or otherwise over-reacting to a scoring opportunity, which makes him prone to being out of position if an extra pass is made.  This alone will mean he will have stretches where he is marginal / prevents him for sustaining a high level of effectiveness.

I do not know how much (if at all) he cleaned up his shortcoming up in Carolina, as I have not watched much Hurricanes hockey.  It usually is really, really hard to tighten / clean up that sort of thing up.

My guess is on a team with good to great D, he would not be a liability at least, and could be a strength.  He would have been a good fit for the Wings 15-20 years ago.  Not to knock Osgood, but if Chris could rack up 350-400 wins, Petr could have as well in that environment.

just saw a story that Carolina hasn't come to terms to resign either Mrazek or McElhinney. That could be a big 'ouch' for them next season!

Makes sense that there is an +/- synergy when a goalie's strengths and weaknesses  do or don't match up with his team's. To play goal for the Wings today you probably at least need more stamina than the average goal tender.......;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Michigan Sports Betting Offer

FanDuel Sportsbook Michigan - Sports Betting is launching in Michigan shortly (December 2020 or January 2021). If you register before it launches you will recieve $50 dollars at their online sportsbook and online casino!

Click Here to claim the FanDuel Michigan for $50 at Online Sportsbook & Casino Pre-registration Bonus Now

Motown Sports Blog



×
×
  • Create New...