Sydney_Fife

Round 1, Game 1: Pistons @ Bucks

1 minute ago, Deleterious said:

I think my playoff experience argument goes out the window in games like last nights.

You don't learn much about anything or anyone when you're down 25 before the first TV timeout.  

We're learning Drummond is not mentally built to be a leading or prominent figure on the court.

We're also learning the Kennard has a bright future, and hopefully the Pistons won't **** it up.

4 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I think my playoff experience argument goes out the window in games like last nights.

You don't learn much about anything or anyone when you're down 25 before the first TV timeout.  

It is game 1 on the road without Blake. Come on man. Give it a full series and let's see what happens. I do think there is value in Kennard seeing that he can play with the best and score. 

10 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Hopefully the front office learned just how far away this team is from relevance.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Hopefully the front office learned just how far away this team is from relevance.

Gores is a weird dude.  Who knows what he's really thinking.

1 minute ago, Casimir said:

I agree but it doesn't matter now that Blake is hurt.  They had a shot at moving him before he was injured.  Now, I don't think they do.

5 minutes ago, Casimir said:

The front office clearly stated their goal was to make the playoffs. They didn't have delusional expectations about this team. 

1 minute ago, Deleterious said:

I agree but it doesn't matter now that Blake is hurt.  They had a shot at moving him before he was injured.  Now, I don't think they do.

I don't think Gores would have allowed Griffin to be dealt anyways.  He seems to believe the Pistons are on the right track to championship contention.

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, 313DetroitCity said:

Oh, we lost on the road to the best team in the NBA without our best player? If only we tanked like Philly so we could have an always injured/out of shape Center and a PG who can't shoot....

Lot of crappy games from our players, lot of adjustments needed. But Kennard showed me he can score when the lights are on, and that is giving me optimism about him. He is a guy who seems to run hot and cold with confidence in himself. So a good series (even if the team is getting beat) is great for him as he goes into year 3 with a green light to shoot. 

They didn't just lose, they got utterly embarrassed from the opening tip. Are you saying that you'd rather be in the Pistons position than Philly?

Just now, Euphdude said:

I don't think Gores would have allowed Griffin to be dealt anyways.  He seems to believe the Pistons are on the right track to championship contention.

Gores has never said he expects championship contention from this team. Ever. Nor has Casey. Nor has Stefanski. They have all said their goal was to make the playoffs.

You can criticize them for plenty, there is no need to act like Gores thought this team would win a title. 

10 minutes ago, Casimir said:

If it took them this long to figure that out then the problems are worse than I imagined.

3 minutes ago, NYLion said:

They didn't just lose, they got utterly embarrassed from the opening tip. Are you saying that you'd rather be in the Pistons position than Philly?

I'm saying we are going to be embarrassed by the best team in the NBA/best player in the NBA when we are playing on the road without our best player. 

This team had no depth to begin with, especially at the wing position. Losing Blake is devastating to anything and everything this team can do. 

I'm also saying that those who constantly talk about Philly as being the model to follow need to ask themselves when they begin to question what is going on in Philly. Embiid is not someone you can rely on moving forward. He is more of an injury concern than Blake, and his health will become more of an issue each year (especially if they expect him to be available for a long playoff run). Simmons cannot and will not shoot. Butler & Tobias are both free agents they spent a lot to acquire, and one or both might leave. They gave away the #1 draft pick in 2017 for nothing. This is not the model franchise, and they are not championship contenders. In fact, if they do lock up Butler & Tobias long-term, they are going to be stuck as non-contenders. Should they blow it up now? After all, the point is title or bust. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah as soon as I saw Blake was out I knew I through money out the window (I kind of knew it before also, but they had a SLIGHT chance with Blake)...I even went and checked the money line to see if it moved and was at least happy it went the other way just before tip even with Blake out.  I was expecting +1500 or something.

53 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I guess I don't know why we should expect athletes to be particularly sage in situations like this. The real world isn't Hollywood, there is no aspiring Hemingway in the script trailer writing suitably elegant dialog appropriate for Andre to use after getting tossed in the playoffs.

34 minutes ago, 313DetroitCity said:

I'm saying we are going to be embarrassed by the best team in the NBA/best player in the NBA when we are playing on the road without our best player. 

This team had no depth to begin with, especially at the wing position. Losing Blake is devastating to anything and everything this team can do. 

I'm also saying that those who constantly talk about Philly as being the model to follow need to ask themselves when they begin to question what is going on in Philly. Embiid is not someone you can rely on moving forward. He is more of an injury concern than Blake, and his health will become more of an issue each year (especially if they expect him to be available for a long playoff run). Simmons cannot and will not shoot. Butler & Tobias are both free agents they spent a lot to acquire, and one or both might leave. They gave away the #1 draft pick in 2017 for nothing. This is not the model franchise, and they are not championship contenders. In fact, if they do lock up Butler & Tobias long-term, they are going to be stuck as non-contenders. Should they blow it up now? After all, the point is title or bust. 

The mix is off in Philly and I don't think it's a model franchise but it's much MUCH more preferable to whatever is going on in Detroit.  They don't need to blow it up because they are a top 4 team in the east with growth potential. The Pistons need to blow it up because they are a .500 team with no growth potential 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NYLion said:

The mix is off in Philly but it's much MUCH more preferable to whatever is going on in Detroit.  They don't need to blow it up because they are a top 4 team in the east with growth potential. The Pistons need to blow it up because they are a .500 team with no growth potential 

They have drained a lot of their assets already.  If Butler leaves & they max Tobias, their ceiling is looking much lower.

Like I said, Embiid is not someone you can rely on as the best player on your team. He is almost never healthy or in shape and his issues are not going away. They already gave him a ton of rest and he still can't stay healthy.

Simmons is also someone whose ceiling is looking much lower than expected because he simply refuses to develop a shot. He has no interest in doing it, as evidenced by him only attempting SIX 3s all season. 

The reason I introduce them to this conversation is to say that the "We need to do what Philly did" people should really consider where Philly is right now, and how far off they are from being a championship team. 

12 minutes ago, 313DetroitCity said:

They have drained a lot of their assets already.  If Butler leaves & they max Tobias, their ceiling is looking much lower.

Like I said, Embiid is not someone you can rely on as the best player on your team. He is almost never healthy or in shape and his issues are not going away. They already gave him a ton of rest and he still can't stay healthy.

Simmons is also someone whose ceiling is looking much lower than expected because he simply refuses to develop a shot. He has no interest in doing it, as evidenced by him only attempting SIX 3s all season. 

The reason I introduce them to this conversation is to say that the "We need to do what Philly did" people should really consider where Philly is right now, and how far off they are from being a championship team. 

I don't think the Pistons should replicate exactly what Philly did but some variation of that meaning that they need to stick to a plan where they are laying a foundation from the ground up. Blow the core up, clear out the trash, trade for futures and lets commit to a specific plan.  Anything but this would be better, anything. Mired in mediocrity with no room for movement good or bad is the worst place to be as a franchise.

18 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

How is Jennifer Hammond reporting what Drummond said "twisting the knife"?

How would you NOT know this?

The line is up to Detroit +15.5 for game 2.  +1200 on the ML.

I can't find a series price, it looks like at least for now they were taken off the board.  

1 hour ago, 313DetroitCity said:

The front office clearly stated their goal was to make the playoffs. They didn't have delusional expectations about this team. 

Great.  Goal achieved.

Now blow the ******* thing up and try to be a real sports organization and compete for a title.

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

I don't know.  I suppose it depends upon what the injury is.  I had thought a younger up and coming team might be able to have cap room and need for a veteran.  That's a tough contract, though.  They'd have to take contracts back, but if they can get out of that window quicker and get assets for it, it'd be worth it.

And every time I consider that Drummond could be moved, I remember the trade kicker.  What is it, 8%?

Good grief, just trade in the Raider jerseys for teal horseheads.

On the bright side, we have 3 more games to watch Antetokounmpo.  And one of these days I am going to figure out how to spell his name without looking it up.

5 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I don't know.  I suppose it depends upon what the injury is.  I had thought a younger up and coming team might be able to have cap room and need for a veteran.  That's a tough contract, though.  They'd have to take contracts back, but if they can get out of that window quicker and get assets for it, it'd be worth it.

And every time I consider that Drummond could be moved, I remember the trade kicker.  What is it, 8%?

Good grief, just trade in the Raider jerseys for teal horseheads.

Yep.  8%.

The good news is that his option year doesn't count in a trade kicker.  So just next years salary will count, which means the Pistons would owe him just over $2M if traded this summer.  If traded closer to next years deadline, the kicker is prorated so it would be even less.  And Drummond does have the right to waive it completely if he wants.