Sydney_Fife

2019 NBA Playoffs

Boston without Smart could be in for an upset against Indiana. They have already had a lot of ups and downs with team chemistry, but Smart is a dog on defense. Bogdonavic's job just got a lot easier. 

@Casimir @Deleterious

Following up on the earlier discussion about relative odds between making the playoffs or missing.

the pistons have a 5% chance of winning round 1 according to 538. The hornets have a 4.8% chance of a top 4 pick from the lottery. 

So, pretty much a wash. 

The clippers have less than a 1% chance of beating the warriors. The magic have a 3% chance of beating the raptors. Nets are 6% against the Sixers. 

Just now, 313DetroitCity said:

Boston without Smart could be in for an upset against Indiana. They have already had a lot of ups and downs with team chemistry, but Smart is a dog on defense. Bogdonavic's job just got a lot easier. 

That was the first series that caught my eye.  

OKC over Portland wouldn't shock me.  I favor Philly over Brooklyn, but if I get the right odds I would put money on Brooklyn.  

Just now, Deleterious said:

That was the first series that caught my eye.  

OKC over Portland wouldn't shock me.  I favor Philly over Brooklyn, but if I get the right odds I would put money on Brooklyn.  

If Philly is without Embiid for any period of time and/or he is not able to play heavy minutes I could see BKN pushing them in that series.

Also, Philly not having any sort of consistent playing time with their starting 5 is real worry. 

4 minutes ago, Shelton said:

@Casimir @Deleterious

Following up on the earlier discussion about relative odds between making the playoffs or missing.

the pistons have a 5% chance of winning round 1 according to 538. The hornets have a 4.8% chance of a top 4 pick from the lottery. 

So, pretty much a wash. 

The clippers have less than a 1% chance of beating the warriors. The magic have a 3% chance of beating the raptors. Nets are 6% against the Sixers. 

I find it interesting that the Pistons have a higher chance of beating the Bucks than the Clippers of beating the Warriors.  Something smells there, although the odds are low anyway, and it probably speaks more to the strength of the Warriors over anything else.

5 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I find it interesting that the Pistons have a higher chance of beating the Bucks than the Clippers of beating the Warriors.  Something smells there, although the odds are low anyway, and it probably speaks more to the strength of the Warriors over anything else.

On the bright side, with a fixed bracket, if the pistons manage to pull off the impossible, they would face the Celtics or pacers in round 2.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Shelton said:

On the bright side, with a fixed bracket, if the pistons manage to pull off the impossible, they would face the Celtics or pacers in round 2.

Always looking on the bright side....

Disappointed about Portland not having Nurkic, I thought they had a chance to make some real noise before the injury (I really liked the Kanter and Hood acquisitions).

Again, this seems like a Warriors coronation. I can't see any team beating them. For a change, the east is MUCH more interesting than the west beyond the 1st round of course. I think the 1st round is going to be pretty boring, lots of mismatches outside of Blazers-Thunder and Celtics-Pacers and even those series are missing some key players. The  2nd round looks very intriguing though, in both conferences.

11 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Always looking on the bright side....

Interestingly, 538 sees the raptors as a slightly better team the bucks. So in theory the 8 seed is a more favorable draw than the 7 seed. 

Of course, the pistons did manage to beat the raptors this season. 

11 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Interestingly, 538 sees the raptors as a slightly better team the bucks. So in theory the 8 seed is a more favorable draw than the 7 seed. 

Of course, the pistons did manage to beat the raptors this season. 

Does that take into account injuries?  Milwaukee is a bit banged up right now where Toronto is relatively healthy.

FWIW, I would take Toronto over Milwaukee in a series.  

1 minute ago, Deleterious said:

Does that take into account injuries?  Milwaukee is a bit banged up right now where Toronto is relatively healthy.

FWIW, I would take Toronto over Milwaukee in a series.  

I believe that it does take injuries into account. They have their CARMELO metric that uses a current depth chart, or something like that. 

13 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Will the Pistons win a single game against the Bucks or is a sweep what's expected?

I expect a pretty brutal sweep. This is based upon the regular season games we played as well as the way these two teams match up. Our offense struggles mightily against teams with their kind of length and athleticism. We also struggle to protect the paint and that's where they are most dangerous. Dre struggles with Lopez who makes him guard the entire court and understands how to box out to nullify Dre.  Bledsoe kills our guards, especially Reggie. And we really don't have anyone to stop Giannis (not many teams do). All that and you have Middleton just bombing away.

Warriors in 4

Nuggets in 5

Thunder in 6

Rockets in 7

Bucks in 4

Raptors in 5

76ers in 7

Celtics in 7

Some fairly decent lines for opening games.  A few I'm looking at.

SA +5.5

Indiana +7

OKC +3

I'm really looking forward to the Utah/Houston series.   Both teams have been playing great as of late and IMO I think they are the 2 best teams in the West right now outside of Golden State of course. 

The Nets are putting a little scare into Philly.  They are up 8 at the half.  Embiid has played 11 minutes.  

People will concentrate on the offensive struggles of Harris/Embiid/Simmons, but that isn't it.  They have 82 points at the end of three quarters.  It's their defense that is a huge problem.  Giving up 92 points in three quarters is going to lose you a lot of games.  

That will be a story.  Amir Johnson is inactive but on the bench.  He pulled out his cell phone and was showing text messages to Embiid.

I'm a bit shocked the league lets MIke Scott wear that thing tied around his head, all hanging loose.  Looking like Rambo out there.

I'm glad I don't have a rooting interest in the 76ers.  Anyone that does probably has an ulcer after a few games of watching these idiots.