lordstanley

2018-2019 NHL Playoffs

Earlier this week I was saying to a friend that drawing CBJ as a first-round opponent isn't very rewarding for a #1 overall Tampa.

Sure enough, after racing out to a 3-0 lead, the Bolts blew a 3rd goal lead and lost the opener 4-3.

Pens and NYI are headed to OT. Islanders led 3-2 with under 2 minutes to go.  Crowd started the DEE-FENSE chant, which come to think of it I'm not sure I've ever heard in a hockey arena. 5 seconds later the Pens tie it on a shot from the point.

As a Leafs hater, I'm not thrilled with how the playoffs have started. Bolts down 2-0 in games to CBJ and heading to Columbus for next 2.

I’m not sure many predicted what’s gone on in the first two games.     Winnipeg/TB final was a popular prediction and now both are up against it in round 1. 

Kucherov suspended for tomorrow's game in the Tampa series. He's lucky it wasn't at least 2 games.

Leafs-Bruins is now even, each having won a game 4-1, and Kadri will get suspended for this.

Hey look, the Wings may end up winning the same number of playoff games as Tampa this season. Jackets win 3-1 to go 3-0 up in the series.

23 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Kucherov suspended for tomorrow's game in the Tampa series. He's lucky it wasn't at least 2 games.

Leafs-Bruins is now even, each having won a game 4-1, and Kadri will get suspended for this.

and that's after it looks like Chara took his head off for it.

I’ve got a copy of the 2014 LA Kings championship video if Jon Cooper wants to show it to his team.  

Maybe this wasn't exactly that (though pretty close), but while I like the hockey being played today much more than in some past years, the one  trend in the game now is this crazy routine where a guy takes a hard *clean* check (usually because he wasn't paying attention) and then he and/or his team go all postal about it. The league needs to add some special level of penalty when that response happens and get it out of the game - or else ban body checking if this generation of players can't tolerate it without going psycho. If retaliation is to be the order of the day when a team shows you up by making a strong play against you, what is next, headhunting everyone that scores a goal against you?

Terrible way to NOT end yesterday's women's world hockey championships. Finland beat the U.S. in OT but the record books will show that the winning goal was waved off and the U.S. went on to "win".  I worry about a big NHL playoff game having a disputed OT ending due to a toenail offside or the hot garlic breath of a forward knocking over a goalie.

7 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Terrible way to NOT end yesterday's women's world hockey championships. Finland beat the U.S. in OT but the record books will show that the winning goal was waved off and the U.S. went on to "win".  I worry about a big NHL playoff game having a disputed OT ending due to a toenail offside or the hot garlic breath of a forward knocking over a goalie.

See Hull vs Hasek

Mitch Marner may already be better than Auston Matthews.  Leafs sure glad they got to pick him not Dylan Strome. Leafs beat Boston 3-2 tonight, Marner with 2 blocks in the final 5 seconds, Leafs up in the series 2-1.

2 hours ago, Hongbit said:

The Russian Gordie Howe! 

according to ESPN/Hockey Fights, Ovechkin hasn't dropped the gloves since 2010, only 4 times in his career. Kid must have worked pretty hard for his decking.

Calgary about to get bounced by Colorado. 

Leafs win a pivotal Game 5 in Boston. Still a close series, and Boston not out of it, but I'd say that the Leafs have had the edge more often than not in the 5 games played to date.

On 4/15/2019 at 1:02 PM, lordstanley said:

That is ****ing terrible.

I would consider pulling my team off the ice after that.

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

That is ****ing terrible.

I would consider pulling my team off the ice after that.

This case is not where I have so much an issue, but in general I don't like the current NHL crease rules at all.

26 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Goalie wasn't even in the crease.

well that is the judgement part isn't it? If the replay official decided her legs were still in the crease at the point of collision, which I think is at least defensible, then you can get to the reversal. I would note that this one is an example where the old rectangular crease might have provided a clearer good goal call. 

It was a terrible call.

On some level, it's hockey, sometimes players are bumped and it is unavoidable.  The goalie was sprawled out, puck was well out of the crease, the contact, as it were, was both inadvertent and had no bearing on the puck being put in the net.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

had no bearing on the puck being put in the net.

on a philosophical level, this is the main part of the rule I don't like. I don't like the rule to depend on if it 'mattered'. You don't get pass interference back because the play was on the other side of the field, you still call the 'and one' even if the shot goes in the basket, It's still a balk even if the runner isn't trying to steal.  It leads to goalies being pretty much harassed full time except when the shot is on the way. Some people like that aspect - I just don't.