Sydney_Fife

Game 82: Pistons @ Knicks

10 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Gores will probably hang another picture of himself in LCA next year to celebrate.  

There has to be some kind of picture on the "2018-2019 Eastern Conference Playoff Participant - #8 Seed" banner that gets raised to the rafters at the beginning of next season, right?

1 minute ago, 313DetroitCity said:

Have you enjoyed any part of this season? 

Hoooray for mediocrity!

2 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Hoooray for mediocrity!

It is a simple question. If you really haven't enjoyed anything about this season, why invest your time and energy into the team? If you just love basketball, there are plenty of other teams you can tune into. 

Just now, 313DetroitCity said:

It is a simple question. If you really haven't enjoyed anything about this season, why invest your time and energy into the team? If you just love basketball, there are plenty of other teams you can tune into. 

Of course there have been enjoyable moments.

Honest questions:  Where does this team logically go from here?  Is it wrong to wish for a better path for the Pistons?

Honest answers: They will be a marginal play-off team until Blake is off the books.  Everybody wants a better path for the Pistons, so that is a strawman.

Just now, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Everybody wants a better path for the Pistons, so that is a strawman.

I disagree.  I don't think fighting for the 8 seed is the better path.  I don't think its a strawman.

• Like 1

Nobody thinks fighting for the 8th seed is a better or best path long term, ergo it is a strawman.

Alternately, just because that is their path does not mean people believe that is the best path.

Just now, Casimir said:

I disagree.  I don't think fighting for the 8 seed is the better path.  I don't think its a strawman.

What was a realistic alternative path the front office could have taken this year?

And there is that.

Look, they locked themselves into this when they acquired Blake.  Which was precisely the criticism of the deal when it happened.

This season isn't the failure, per se.  It is the expected result from the moves preceding it.

Just now, Shelton said:

What was a realistic alternative path the front office could have taken this year?

Blow it up & start from scratch.

And there is that.

Look, they locked themselves into this when they acquired Blake.  Which was precisely the criticism of the deal when it happened.

This season isn't the failure, per se.  It is the expected result from the moves preceding it.

Yeah, I can agree with that.

Acquire Blake in December 2018, sell him off in September 2019.

Different front office.

The real problem probably starts with ownership.  There probably isn't a remedy for that.

Blow it up & start from scratch.

How would the team have realistically done that? They had no tradeable assets. 

19 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Of course there have been enjoyable moments.

Honest questions:  Where does this team logically go from here?  Is it wrong to wish for a better path for the Pistons?

They play their best in this playoff series and get valuable playoff experience for the young guys.

They draft well with the 15th pick and make a few moves to gain more assets (like they did in getting Svi, a 2nd round pick & Thon Maker).

They don't take on additional salary and see if they can get 1 year rentals to make themselves a 5 or 6 seed. 

They wait for Jackson/Leuer/Galloway to come off the books in 2020. 

We all want the Pistons to do better. But it is tiresome to have people say "why bother they suck and will always suck and there is no path forward" nonstop. You have an All-NBA talent on your roster & a guy who is an All-Star level player next to him. As a small market team that can't attract free agents, you take that and see if your FO can figure out the rest combination of players around them. 

The "we have no way to get better" stuff is overblown. We have all future draft picks and money coming off the books after next year. That gives you a shot. 

• Thanks 1

Different front office.

The real problem probably starts with ownership.  There probably isn't a remedy for that.

The ownership has spent significant money and took a chance on a guy a lot of people around the league respected as a top tier head coach. He didn't do well, they fired him after 4 years.

That isn't awful ownership. That is a new owner learning. 

11 minutes ago, 313DetroitCity said:

The ownership has spent significant money and took a chance on a guy a lot of people around the league respected as a top tier head coach. He didn't do well, they fired him after 4 years.

That isn't awful ownership. That is a new owner learning. 

They gave him a GM role as well, something that he clearly wasn't equipped for.

That isn't awful ownership.  That isn't a new owner learning.  That is flat out asinine.

33 minutes ago, 313DetroitCity said:

Have you enjoyed any part of this season? 

I enjoyed the stretch when Kennard and Galloway were raining 3's (really enjoyed it) but the Nets and Heat blowouts knocked me right back to reality. 

Honestly, I haven't enjoyed the Pistons much in the last 10 years and have found myself skipping a lot of games the last 5 years or so partially due to life stuff and partially due to lack of interest. I grew up in the Bad Boy era then after a couple of down years got to witness the electrifying Grant Hill for several years then after a couple of down years the "Going to Work" Pistons for a good 5-6 years so by and large, there has been something exciting about the Pistons in my 30 years of watching but this decade?  Nothing but poor to mediocre teams and not much in the way of exciting players to watch on top of that.

Don't get me wrong, it'll be nice to see them in the playoffs and I'll be cheering them on like I always do but it feels like a hollow accomplishment when you know the team isn't going anywhere in the playoffs and has little room for growth going forward.

29 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

And there is that.

It's not a failure relative to fan expectations but it is a failure when you have two max players and another making $80M.  If you have that much money committed to 3 players, you should expect better than a .500 team in a weak conference.

I think everyone understands this team's limitations and I don't think anyone thinks making the playoffs makes everything worth it or signals the start of a great run.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NYLion said:

It's not a failure relative to fan expectations but it is a failure when you have two max players and another making $80M/yr.  If you have that much money committed to 3 players, you should expect better than a .500 team in a weak conference.

Again, they committed to that path last season, which was the point of the comment you quoted.

1 minute ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I think everyone understands this teams limitations and I don't think anyone thinks making the playoffs makes everything worth it or the start of a great run.

That's fair but I worry that Gores thinks differently.

Sure.  He put up an embarrassing picture of himself to be hung alongside the players.  Yet he probably thinks that makes him look good.

Forced to guess, I think he just wants to have a team to not be terrible so he can brag about them and doesn't care if they build towards a 'ship because that is boring, takes time and hard work.

Yep, pretty much. 

He got his shiny new arena so he's content as long as attendance numbers remain somewhat decent.