Sydney_Fife

Game 82: Pistons @ Knicks

8:10 tip. 

Pistons win and they’re in. Lose and they’re out. Charlotte is not losing. 

DSJ playing his fifth game against the Pistons this year. 

25 minutes ago, Sydney_Fife said:

If Charlotte isn’t losing, does that mean “win and they’re 7th; lose and they’re out”?

Is Matador getting playing time tonight?  His absence on the floor during the comebacks the last two nights were pretty obvious.

What does the PG position look like in the draft?  I see a couple of mocks with front court players going to the Pistons in the first round and not many PGs in the vicinity.

9 hours ago, Sydney_Fife said:

Orlando has reason to try. This is a rare nationally televised game and I believe seeding is still on the line. I wouldn't consider CHA winning a lock. 

I wonder if they rest Blake tonight to give him a chance to heal before the playoffs. I know it's no playoffs anyway if they lose tonight (if Charlotte wins) but they need him to be completely healthy to make the 1st round series not look like a complete embarrassment.\

Pretty good sports night. Opening of the NHL playoffs, a play in game for the Pistons and the chaotic west jockeying for position.

9 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I wonder if they rest Blake tonight to give him a chance to heal before the playoffs. I know it's no playoffs anyway if they lose tonight (if Charlotte wins) but they need him to be completely healthy to make the 1st round series not look like a complete embarrassment.\

Pretty good sports night. Opening of the NHL playoffs, a play in game for the Pistons and the chaotic west jockeying for position.

They can't afford to miss the playoffs like this. It would be extremely poor optics. 

He will play (probably limited), but best case would be the Pistons pulling away early and not needing him. 

12 minutes ago, 313DetroitCity said:

He will play (probably limited), but best case would be the Pistons pulling away early and not needing him. 

That was the scenario last night.  They didn't play to that script,

1 minute ago, Casimir said:

That was the scenario last night.  They didn't play to that script,

Still only played 18 minutes though

4 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Andre showing some emotion!

There are times on the court where that emotion is obvious, like during certain times of the 2nd half last night.  He has it in him.  He cannot do it for 48 minutes, but how many guys can?  It seems as though he uses some of this adrenaline rush at the wrong times, like reach in fouls at 25 feet out.

My uneducated guess is Blake will require offseason surgery on his knee.  So resting him now won't do much good for a game on Saturday or Sunday.  The time to rest him was the past six months, but of course they didn't do that.  

I'm guessing they play him as long as he can handle/manage the pain.

2 minutes ago, 313DetroitCity said:

Still only played 18 minutes though

That was probably more due to his physical status rather than it being a good time to rest him.  Fortunately the 4 out and Drummond inside offense worked well.

2 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

My uneducated guess is Blake will require offseason surgery on his knee.  So resting him now won't do much good for a game on Saturday or Sunday.  The time to rest him was the past six months, but of course they didn't do that.  

I'm guessing they play him as long as he can handle/manage the pain.

I'm leaving out hope that Arnie Kander can get him good enough to play hard for a series in the playoffs with 2-3 days rest (should they make it). 

Let's remember he had 45 points just 5 days ago. He isn't completely hobbled. 

9 minutes ago, 313DetroitCity said:

I'm leaving out hope that Arnie Kander can get him good enough to play hard for a series in the playoffs with 2-3 days rest (should they make it). 

Let's remember he had 45 points just 5 days ago. He isn't completely hobbled. 

Unless whatever it was has been recently exacerbated.  It had to have been.  Why else would he not have played more than 18 minutes?

1 minute ago, Casimir said:

Unless whatever it was has been recently exacerbated.  It had to have been.  Why else would he not have played more than 18 minutes?

Part of it was the Pistons unit making a run when they did and him not needing to enter the game after being down by so much. 

But yeah, it's possible it got worse in 5 days. 

Just now, 313DetroitCity said:

Part of it was the Pistons unit making a run when they did and him not needing to enter the game after being down by so much. 

But yeah, it's possible it got worse in 5 days. 

Yes, they were playing well.

But, as you mentioned before, this team lacks playoff experience and making the playoffs would be beneficial in that regard.  Griffin is the playoff veteran and the alpha of the team.  If he wasn't seriously hurt, why wouldn't they have him out there on the court rather than cheerleading?

All eastern time zone games start at 8PM tonight.  The other 3 games start at 10:30PM.

57 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Andre showing some emotion!

Good response from him. He’s right. 

5 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Good response from him. He’s right. 

The fan wasn't wrong but  Andre had every right to defend the honor of his team. It's not his fault that SVG created such a mess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 313DetroitCity said:

They can't afford to miss the playoffs like this. It would be extremely poor optics. 

I can get on board with that.  I suppose it's not the type of injury that will get better with rest anyway, it's probably going to require surgery to be repaired like Del mentioned.

1 minute ago, NYLion said:

The fan wasn't wrong but  Andre had every right to defend the honor of his team. It's not his fault that SVG created such a mess.

The fan wasn’t “wrong” to the extent that he is entitled to his opinion. That’s true. But even a G league team has players that can hit shots. Sometimes the go in. 

15 minutes ago, Casimir said:

So..........  How confident are we all feeling?

I think the Pistons win. This is as clear of a scenario as you can paint as a coach. Win and you're in. Your entire season of hard work comes down to beating a crappy team.