Keepleyland2

4/10 @1:10 Cleveland Indians vs Detroit Tigers

4 hours ago, kj2018 said:

He is looking a lot like Magglio did at the tail end of his contract, he would get on base pretty regularly, but not for much power.  Miggy has one XB hit thus far through 12 games and only 2 or 3 RBI.  That .400 obb would be great for a leadoff hitter (Harrison does not get on much) but as we all know Miggy has ZERO wheels on the bases

The main problem with Miggy is that he has become a ground ball machine.

Miggy had been averaging around 40% of balls in play on the ground throughout his career. All of a sudden, starting last year, that rate skyrocketed to 55%. Of all players with 150 or more plate trips, that ranked 20th highest of 392 players. I assumed it was because he was playing hurt.

This year, Miggy's ground ball rate is even higher: 59%. That ranks 8th of 188 qualified hitters. I wonder if he is playing hurt this year, too.

Anyway, that's why Miggy's slugging is so terrible, and if he doesn't figure out how to hit the ball in the air more, that on base is going to go down, too, if pitchers come around to deciding that giving up contact to Miggy isn't going to hurt them like it used to.

34 minutes ago, chasfh said:

The main problem with Miggy is that he has become a ground ball machine.

Miggy had been averaging around 40% of balls in play on the ground throughout his career. All of a sudden, starting last year, that rate skyrocketed to 55%. Of all players with 150 or more plate trips, that ranked 20th highest of 392 players. I assumed it was because he was playing hurt.

This year, Miggy's ground ball rate is even higher: 59%. That ranks 8th of 188 qualified hitters. I wonder if he is playing hurt this year, too.

Anyway, that's why Miggy's slugging is so terrible, and if he doesn't figure out how to hit the ball in the air more, that on base is going to go down, too, if pitchers come around to deciding that giving up contact to Miggy isn't going to hurt them like it used to.

He's a moving target right now. He reached base 6 of his first 29 PA, has reached 13 of his last 21. See where he is once he comes to equilibrium. And Miggy is very  aware of what he is doing:

“It doesn’t make sense to me right now trying to hit fly balls or something like that when I’m hitting .200,” Cabrera said. “I’m going to put myself in a bad position. So I prefer right now to get my hits, getting my timing, and when I feel good sometimes, swing hard and let it fly.”

https://www.mlb.com/tigers/news/miguel-cabrera-choosing-his-spots

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

It was better today, but I definitely miss the play by play guy.

It’s bumbly, fumbly and unpolished, but it’s honest and true and better than my very low expectations. 

I can dig it. 

4 minutes ago, thefunk said:

It’s bumbly, fumbly and unpolished, but it’s honest and true and better than my very low expectations. 

I can dig it. 

If you like this, then try watching MLB Tonight when they do in studio bouncing from game to game and talk over them, especially when they have Brian Kenny or Pedro Martinez. Those shows can be very good.

43 minutes ago, chasfh said:

If you like this, then try watching MLB Tonight when they do in studio bouncing from game to game and talk over them, especially when they have Brian Kenny or Pedro Martinez. Those shows can be very good.

When the Tigers are winning I do tune into mlb network quite often. I mostly just want a Tiger game experience that doesn’t make me want to rip my ears off.  Today I was pleasantly surprised.  Don’t want it all the time, of course.

43 minutes ago, chasfh said:

So you're recommending he watch more bumbly, fumbly programming?    😉

11 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

So you're recommending he watch more bumbly, fumbly programming?    😉

It's only bumbly and fumbly when Billy Ripken is on it.

These were before he became a crotchety get-off-my-lawn guy.

EDIT: Now that I examine the pictures more closely, he might have already been that guy by the time of the baseball card.

He looked more like a #### face in his Tiger photo.

I wonder what his players weekend jersey nickname would be?

Billy Ripken hates the card, but have you ever read his version of what happened that he told Darren Rovell a few years ago?

https://www.cnbc.com/id/28116692

"I got a dozen bats in front of my locker during the 1988 season. I pulled the bats out, model R161, and noticed--because of the grain patterns--that they were too heavy. But I decided I'd use one of them, at the very least, for my batting practice bat."

"Now I had to write something on the bat. At Memorial Stadium, the bat room was not too close to the clubhouse, so I wanted to write something that I could find immediately if I looked up and it was 4:44 and I had to get out there on the field a minute later and not be late. There were five big grocery carts full of bats in there and if I wrote my number 3, it could be too confusing. So I wrote 'F--k' Face on it."

"After the season was over, in early January, I got a call from our PR guy Rick Vaughn. He said, 'Billy, we have a problem.' And he told me what was written on the bat and I couldn't believe it. I went to a store and saw the card and it all came back to me. We were in Fenway Park and I had just taken my first round of BP. I threw my bat to the third base side and strolled around the bases. When I was coming back, right before I got up to hit again, I remember a guy tapping me on the shoulder asking if he could take my picture. Never once did I think about it. I posed for the shot and he took it.

"I tried to deflect it as much as I could. It was fairly easy to say that somebody got me with a joke because people think you're the scum of the earth for doing something like this. The truth is that there's a lot of words like that that are thrown around in the clubhouse. They just don't get out there."

Oh, wait, Billy--so you're the one who wrote "**** face" on the bat?

You don't say.

Mmmm, yeaaaaah ... I'm not buying.