kj2018

Players Only Discussion

Plus, if they can figure out a formula that will draw fans into the stadiums other than fielding a championship team,  payroll becomes much less of an annoyance to the owners (yes I realize that has nothing to do with the 17 games we will be suffering through, I was just elaborating on the "entertainment product" aspect)

Back in context, I have to suspect that if this experiment featured instead a group of guys gathered around a whiteboard    with a bunch of grease pencils debating analytical theory. as it pertains to gameplay...many of you would be all over it.

1 hour ago, DumberAndLeaner said:

They are trying to sell an entertainment experience. 

There seems to be a bit of a contradiction here to me though because the whole idea of an "entertainment experience" strikes me as boomer marketing think. I get more an impression from the students I work with that authenticity ranks higher to them than it did with their predecessors - but that's just an impression.

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

. I get more an impression from the students I work with that authenticity ranks higher to them than it did with their predecessors - but that's just an impression.

Fair enough. Just for the sake of discussion can you put approximate age brackets on those two groups?

And for the record, what could possibly be more authentic than a Placido Polanco bobble-head?  :laugh:

18 minutes ago, DumberAndLeaner said:

Fair enough. Just for the sake of discussion can you put approximate age brackets on those two groups?

And for the record, what could possibly be more authentic than a Placido Polanco bobble-head?  :laugh:

18-22. Their 'predecessors' to me would be my kids - ~35.

Young people always value authenticity more than their elders.  Then they grow up and find out that the work world is all BS.  Then they get caught up in the BS themselves and eventually convince themselves or get brain washed) that it has to be BS because the world is complicated and we couldn't get anything done with out BS.  

• Like 2

I liked it. There I said it. 

I didn't see the first one, on the Wednesday one. It was a different and nice change of pace. That said I wouldn't use it three games in a row like they are doing. But, those midweek afternoon get-away-games sure. 

It was like sitting with your buddies and talking about the game. This time though, my friends actually know what they are talking about. I actually though Jack did a job serving as a moderator. 

I don't understand the calls by some here for a play-by-play. The pictures are right there, just watch. 

2 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

I don't understand the calls by some here for a play-by-play. The pictures are right there, just watch. 

You're getting a bit salty in your old age.

Just now, LooseGoose said:

You're getting a bit salty in your old age.

Lack of sleep. (as you can tell by the game threads for the next game going up at like 1 a.m.)

3 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

The pictures are right there, just watch. 

You do realize people have things going on which may prevent them from being able to watch every single play, right?

Just now, Yoda said:

You do realize people have things going on which may prevent them from being able to watch every single play, right?

It seems odd to me to tune into a video broadcast and then be mad someone is not describing what your eyes are watching. 

If you are that upset not having the pictures described every play or pitch, maybe the radio broadcast is the one for you. 

17 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

I liked it. There I said it. 

I didn't see the first one, on the Wednesday one. It was a different and nice change of pace. That said I wouldn't use it three games in a row like they are doing. But, those midweek afternoon get-away-games sure. 

It was like sitting with your buddies and talking about the game. This time though, my friends actually know what they are talking about. I actually though Jack did a job serving as a moderator. 

Wednesday’s game was 10X better then Tuesday’s.  On Tuesday they barely paid attention to the game, had a Lance Parrish Skype call with a small screen for the actual game, and again, they barely acknowledged the game, pitching changes, home runs, etc

7 hours ago, kj2018 said:

.  On Tuesday they barely paid attention to the game, had a Lance Parrish Skype call with a small screen for the actual game, and again, they barely acknowledged the game, pitching changes, home runs, etc

I found it irritating in the same way Joe Buck butchers the allstar game with all his "human side" drivel.

I didn't tune in the game to meet Mike Trout's 5th grade teacher, or the horse he rode in on, either. Stick to the game!!

8 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Young people always value authenticity more than their elders.  Then they grow up and find out that the work world is all BS.  Then they get caught up in the BS themselves and eventually convince themselves or get brain washed) that it has to be BS because the world is complicated and we couldn't get anything done with out BS.  

I applaud your answer! I'd like to supplement it with the observation that each generation seems to believe they have finally managed to discover "reality".

Then as they mature they start to figure out how much of that "reality"  was smoke. Cynicism starts to set in shortly thereafter.

9 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I can not argue with this, but who does make the target of the broadcast marketing? The GenYs just getting caught up in the BS or the GenXs who have completely capitulated?

17 hours ago, DumberAndLeaner said:

I applaud your answer! I'd like to supplement it with the observation that each generation seems to believe they have finally managed to discover "reality".

Then as they mature they start to figure out how much of that "reality"  was smoke. Cynicism starts to set in shortly thereafter.

This is true too.  

All you have to figure out is, what price are they willing to pay in order to "own" authenticity? 

Then make it theirs to keep.  For a  modest subscription.

On 4/11/2019 at 11:00 AM, tiger337 said:

actually Lee, I will maybe argue with this wrt the 'Preppy' generation when it appeared on campus. Those would be a subset part of GenX->Y I guess? Didn't see much striving for authenticity there.

On 4/10/2019 at 9:11 PM, tiger337 said:

yeah, I can't imagine old guys talking about the 1980s is going to interest many millennials

Just hired a 17 year old where I work. Red Sox fan.  I was shocked that he could talk a good line about Yastrzemski, Jim Lonborg, and even Freddie Lynn....his eyes glazed over a bit when I mentioned Reggie Smith or Tony Conigliaro.....but the kids passion was impressive. He could even tell me that Jim Rice replaced Yaz in left field. But he couldn't tell me the name of David Price's dog....I was truly shocked about that. 

He was even knowledgeable enough about the '84 Tigers to name our middle infield and two of our three outfielders.

Never heard of Rod Allen though. What are they teaching kids these days?  :alien:

If he never heard of Rod Allen you’re probably looking at future management.

12 hours ago, DumberAndLeaner said:

Just hired a 17 year old where I work. Red Sox fan.  I was shocked that he could talk a good line about Yastrzemski, Jim Lonborg, and even Freddy Lynn....his eyes glazed over a bit when I mentioned Reggie Smith or Tony Conigliaro.....but the kids passion was impressive. He could even tell me that Jim Rice replaced Yaz in left field. But he couldn't tell me the name of David Price's dog....I was truly shocked about that. 

He was even knowledgeable enough about the '84 Tigers to name our middle infield and two of our three outfielders.

Never heard of Rod Allen though. What are they teaching kids these days?  :alien:

Maybe this is where my bias and fandom come into play.  But I would think a 19 season middle infield composed of two hall of fame caliber players would be high up in baseball lore.  Its just such a unique situation.

I agree.  But just look at how many "fans" do not realize that Kirk Gibson hit two iconic home runs in the World Series.

I lived in Los Angeles for 11 years. Near where I worked there was a well connected sports memorabilia store. I asked them once if they could obtain a baseball autographed by both Trammell and Whitaker,. The guy seemed to have no idea who they even were.  And almost no one I would encounter knew anything of Gibson's '84 heroics.

That changed if you traveled about 120 miles south of LA.  Baseball fans down there are far more Gibson literate. 

On 4/11/2019 at 11:00 AM, tiger337 said:

Yep. Holden Caulfield ends up in middle management, unfortunately. 

Not to mention that perceptions of "authenticity" often are the product of apophenia as well as confirmation bias, especially among the young and inexperienced.