kj2018

Players Only Discussion

How does everybody feel about the Players Only Broadcast?  I will give it some time, but it seems as if the game is just in the background for the most part, and they are just all talking amongst themselves.  Especially when Parrish has been on.  They should just do a podcast and talk about things.

Most of us, i would guess, are here to watch the game, not listen to the 84 Tigers talk about all of their stuff

As I said in the game thread, what you're seeing is the entire point of the broadcast.

https://www.foxsports.com/detroit/story/fox-sports-detroits-tigers-coverage-features-17-players-only-telecasts

“These broadcasts are going to be a lot of fun,” said Monroe, who played for the Tigers from 2002-07. “We’ll have a chance to share even more analysis and stories from our playing days. Viewers will truly feel like they are watching the game with us and part of our team.”

255664875_Killmenow.GIF.bbbce937641065b862a917d882aae38d.GIF

It's overkill for sure. I enjoy some of the stories, but there is virtually no play-by-play going on, so it is impossible to follow the game with just the audio. I stream the games at work through FoxSportsGo on a browser tab in the background, and I can quickly click over to the video when needed. That's been impossible during this game, because no one is telling me what is happening on the field...

1 minute ago, Tigertown Rats said:

It's overkill for sure. I enjoy some of the stories, but there is virtually no play-by-play going on, so it is impossible to follow the game with just the audio. I stream the games at work through FoxSportsGo on a browser tab in the background, and I can quickly click over to the video when needed. That's been impossible during this game, because no one is telling me what is happening on the field...

Dan and Jim audio overlay. That's what's saving my sanity at the moment.

It's been awful on TNT(NBA) so obviously FSD decided to copy it.

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Dan and Jim audio overlay. That's what's saving my sanity at the moment.

I don't see any way to do that in FoxSportsGo. I suppose I could mute it and do Dan/Jim through MLB.com.

It's unbearable. Especially when they all flap their jaws at once.

Let's see...Mikie can't hit AND can't field. These bozos are going to do 16 more games like this? It's gonna be a loooonnnnggg season. 

All this said, I do like watching MLB Tonight when there are three guys in the studio, they bounce from game to game, and they hold forth on what they see, sometimes using it to springboard to a sidebar discussion about a baseball issue that might go on for a couple of minutes. That I find can be highly entertaining.

But that is different from this in at least four big ways: (1) two of the three guys on a typical MLB Tonight panel are players, but the third guy is a professional broadcaster like Brian Kenny or Greg Amsinger, someone who can steer the discussion and keep things on topic; (2) the players who are on the MLB Tonight broadcast are themselves now primarily professional broadcasters. Petry, Trammell and Parrish are not, Morris barely scrapes by, and Gibson's health prevents him from dedicating himself to it full time; (3) the players who appear on MLB Tonight have to attend pre-show meetings to nail down the structure of the show and topics to be discussed; Tiger players appear to be showing up to the telecast and basically winging it; and (4) there is no expectation on MLB Tonight to do play by play, while a Tiger telecast, doing play by play is a priority. Or at least it used to be.

LOL!  Going to commercial between innings there was 5-10 seconds of silence before someone just said "boy..." and then on to Wallside Windows! 

1 minute ago, Tigertown Rats said:

LOL!  Going to commercial between innings there was 5-10 seconds of silence before someone just said "boy..." and then on to Wallside Windows! 

"Boy,..... (exit hot mic to commercial) this Mahtook guy sucks.  Hits worse than Rod Allen did."

• Haha 1

This would have been a great idea for August when the Tigers are all but eliminated from the playoffs... when fan involvement is waning as football gears up... This would be a nice gimmick to get me to watch a game that I might otherwise not be that into.  For the two or three week into the new season?  Terrible idea.

why are we all posting in a Players Only Discussion?  You guys really think you're players?  Not what I've heard.

7 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Is this for the entire series or by missing today's game did I dodge it?

It is for the entire series, and today was game 1 of 17 planned for this year

On 4/9/2019 at 2:41 PM, kj2018 said:

How does everybody feel about the Players Only Broadcast?  

This sort of thing appears to me to be just one more example  of how MLB is trying to expand it's appeal to people who reaLLY ARE NOT avid baseball fans.

When they started putting swimming pools and ferris wheels inside baseball stadiums, It didn't appear to be a good omen. I guess they have decided that if younger generations are not going to pay to watch baseball, then they were going to dream up other ways to sell an "entertainment experience"....and what we are seeing here seems right in that fold.

It's like they used the Kardashians theme  as a template to dilute and extend the fan experience to people who really don't care about the score.

It'll probably be a hit among millennials, who are claimed to thrive on programming that tells them how to feel about what they are watching. Makes them feel "more connected"🐜🐜🐜

My kids are millennials don’t dis them!  They are not interested in baseball anyway, and I can tell you that ferris wheels and old guys talking about the old days on TV will not move them either. 

On 4/9/2019 at 2:09 PM, kj2018 said:

It is for the entire series, and today was game 1 of 17 planned for this year

UGH!

22 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

My kids are millennials don’t dis them!  They are not interested in baseball anyway, and I can tell you that ferris wheels and old guys talking about the old days on TV will not move them either. 

yeah, I can't imagine old guys talking about the 1980s is going to interest many millennials

28 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

My kids are millennials don’t dis them!  r. 

I wasn't aware that I had to like whatever you like? Whatever happened to "to each his own""?

It's fairly well documented that reality TV shows appeal to millennials because it makes them feel more connected to the programing (because of the emotion aspect coming from the "stars")

I really don;t care if your kids like me or not, so the feeling can most assuredly  be mutual...no skin.

5 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

yeah, I can't imagine old guys talking about the 1980s is going to interest many millennials

It's the style of programming, not so much the subject matter that I reference.. Note that I did not say that the guys are necessarily doing a good job of it, but the "join me in my living room" format does appeal to the kiddies.

Ozzy Osborne was a trailblazer, I guess

2 minutes ago, DumberAndLeaner said:

It's the style of programming, not so much the subject matter that I reference.. Note that I did not say that the guys are necessarily doing a good job of it, but the "join me in my living room" format does appeal to the kiddies.

Ozzy Osborne was a trailblazer, I guess

You may be right about the style of programming attracting a different kind of audience.  It's funny though because you would think a new style of programming would be more effective using younger broadcasters or at least broadcasters with youthful personalties. 

55 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

and I can tell you that ferris wheels and old guys talking about the old days on TV will not move them either. 

Okay, so perhaps for your crew the mix might have to be different. Might they find a swimming pool attractive? Or a yacht harbor?   or...?    The point being,  MLB is trying to sell more than just baseball. They are trying to sell an entertainment experience. There will be many tests that fail....but there will also be some that work. And those might be the salvation to an industry supposedly suffering diminishing interest

1 minute ago, tiger337 said:

It's funny though because you would think a new style of programming would be more effective using younger broadcasters or at least broadcasters with youthful personalties. 

I agree with you there. And I'll repeat myself, it never was my intention to imply that the particular product we are talking about is well done. There will be many misses......until someone figures out a hit