lordstanley

2019 NHL Draft Lottery & Draft

This draft showcases the devastating effects of winning when you're trying to properly rebuild. As MCS said, one more loss and we've got Hughes.

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

This draft showcases the devastating effects of winning when you're trying to properly rebuild. As MCS said, one more loss and we've got Hughes.

Channeling my inter Holland ——— the extra win that kept us from drafting Hughes will pay off with the continuation of the winning culture that exists within the Red Wings organization. 

4 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Get the **** out of here with that.  If you had your way they would have had the 2nd worst record.

Classic after the fact second guessing.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Get the **** out of here with that.  If you had your way they would have had the 2nd worst record.

Classic after the fact second guessing.

If I had my way we'd actually be 4th because I would have wanted the worst overall record.

If you don't win lotteries you have to prepare yourself to be an attractive team when these young guys get to the free agent market. Keep churning the roster and building a young base of talent. Don't choke your roster with horrific contracts and things will eventually work out.

7 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If I had my way we'd actually be 4th because I would have wanted the worst overall record.

Good for you to admit that.

It is largely a crap shoot, and that isn't Ken ****ing Holland's fault.

2 hours ago, what had  a higher percentage of occurring? The Wings winning the right to draft Hughes or the Pistons coming back from 22 down to win?

9 hours ago, lordstanley said:

2 hours ago, what had  a higher percentage of occurring? The Wings winning the right to draft Hughes or the Pistons coming back from 22 down to win?

I am rooting for Charlotte to win and the Pistons to lose tonight because I think Tom Gores is a joke. 

The Pistons started dying the day they traded for Allen Iverson.  

So given the "If the Wings had lost one more game" talk, I assume this wasn't done via ping pong balls?  

Was it just a computer simulation to determine it based on their position?  Is it really a fact that if the Wings lost one more game they'd have the # 1 pick?

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

So given the "If the Wings had lost one more game" talk, I assume this wasn't done via ping pong balls?  

Was it just a computer simulation to determine it based on their position?  Is it really a fact that if the Wings lost one more game they'd have the # 1 pick?

If the Wings had lost one more game but got a point for taking it to OT they would have remained alone as 4th worst.

If the Wings had lost one more game, in regulation, they would have finished tied with NJ with points but due to tiebreakers would still have been ranked 4th worst.

If the Wings had lost two more games, in regulation, they would have finished 2nd worst, with LA 3rd and NJ 4th. Actual 2nd worst LA did  not win a lottery last night so LA is picking 5th.

If the Wings had gained 3 fewer points they would have finished worse than NJ and tied with LA for 2nd/3rd worst. During to tiebreakers, Wings would have finished 3rd worst in that case but only that case.

10 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

If the Wings had lost one more game but got a point for taking it to OT they would have remained alone as 4th worst.

If the Wings had lost one more game, in regulation, they would have finished tied with NJ with points but due to tiebreakers would still have been ranked 4th worst.

If the Wings had lost two more games, in regulation, they would have finished 2nd worst, with LA 3rd and NJ 4th. Actual 2nd worst LA did  not win a lottery last night so LA is picking 5th.

If the Wings had gained 3 fewer points they would have finished worse than NJ and tied with LA for 2nd/3rd worst. During to tiebreakers, Wings would have finished 3rd worst in that case but only that case.

and all that said any one of a zillion different lottery outcomes could still have screwed them. The league wanted a system that you could not successfully game down any precise level and to that level they succeeded.

The Athletic:

No. 6. Detroit Red Wings

Alex Turcotte, C, USNTDP-USHL

Feb. 26, 2001 | 5-foot-11 | 194 pounds

Max Bultman: This is really a decision between Turcotte and his USNTDP teammate Trevor Zegras, both of whom might actually be value picks at this slot. Zegras would offer the elite playmaking Detroit lacks in its forward core, and for that reason he’s very tempting. But there’s just so much to love about Turcotte. For starters, he’s a fast, skilled, two-way center who his coach actually compared to Dylan Larkin recently. But Turcotte’s also been producing at crazy levels since returning from injury this season. His 2.13 points per game in USHL play outpace even Hughes. If Turcotte’s still on the board at No. 6, he’s a great pick.

Pronman’s take: In Turcotte, Detroit gets a center who, when healthy, was simply outstanding this past season. Every element of his game outside of his size (5-foot-11) stands out, from his speed to his skill to his compete level and hockey sense. Think of him as a more skilled version of Larkin without as much size. He’s a center who could be a one-and-done in college and be in the NHL playing a significant role soon in any role the coach wants.

2 hours ago, Oblong said:

It’s ping pong balls drawn to create a four number series. There is a table with every possible combination, and each team is assigned their share of the combinations. 

It is not true that the wings would have received the number 1 pick. The only way for that to be true would be if if every single input that led to the drawing of the ping pong balls and assigning the numbers happened in exactly the same way at the exact same time in this alternate reality. 

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

And that presumes by taking 3 fewer points that LA gains no more points.  A small consideration to add on the pile.

3 hours ago, Shelton said:

It’s ping pong balls drawn to create a four number series. There is a table with every possible combination, and each team is assigned their share of the combinations. 

It is not true that the wings would have received the number 1 pick. The only way for that to be true would be if if every single input that led to the drawing of the ping pong balls and assigning the numbers happened in exactly the same way at the exact same time in this alternate reality. 

That's what i was trying to determine... 

This isn't something as a fan that I can get mad at them for.... if they were to tank then they would have lost even more games and still be in a similar boat.  You can't be like "Oh stupid of them!" because you don't know what you needed at the time.  "Let's tank to finish #4 from the bottom" is not what you do.

So after Hughes-Kakko, there are 6 players that are expected to be the next 6 players drafted, but truly in no particular order. Early mock drafts are all over the place. Although most years one team goes "off the board" to grab someone outside the consensus. 

- Podkolzin, RW, a Russian who is considered by most to be the 3rd best talent in the draft but may slide a bit because he has committed to the KHL the next two years

- Cozens, C, playing in the Western Hockey League

- Byram, D, playing right here in Vancouver

- Turcotte, C, playing for the U.S. national development team program

- Zegras, C, also playing for the U.S. national development team program

- Dach, C, playing in the NHL

3 of those players will be still on the board when it's the Wings' turn to pick. I'd be fine with any of them.

Other names like Krebs (C), Boldy (LW) and Soderstrom (D) may crack the top 10 but are unlikely to be a factor to the Wings.

8 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

So after Hughes-Kakko, there are 6 players that are expected to be the next 6 players drafted, but truly in no particular order. Early mock drafts are all over the place. Although most years one team goes "off the board" to grab someone outside the consensus. 

- Podkolzin, RW, a Russian who is considered by most to be the 3rd best talent in the draft but may slide a bit because he has committed to the KHL the next two years

- Cozens, C, playing in the Western Hockey League

- Byram, D, playing right here in Vancouver

- Turcotte, C, playing for the U.S. national development team program

- Zegras, C, also playing for the U.S. national development team program

- Dach, C, playing in the NHL

3 of those players will be still on the board when it's the Wings' turn to pick. I'd be fine with any of them.

Other names like Krebs (C), Boldy (LW) and Soderstrom (D) may crack the top 10 but are unlikely to be a factor to the Wings.

If I am the Wings and if I've got 6 guys in no particular order and one is a Dman, they are no longer in no particular order!

3 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

If I am the Wings and if I've got 6 guys in no particular order and one is a Dman, they are no longer in no particular order!

Yeah, if Byram is available he's my pick too. Throw in a 2nd rounder (enough?) to move up from 6th to 4th if you really want him and the first 3 picks have been made?

34 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Yeah, if Byram is available he's my pick too. Throw in a 2nd rounder (enough?) to move up from 6th to 4th if you really want him and the first 3 picks have been made?

could be. Didn't Kenny make a comment recently to the effect that "there are only so many guys you can play" when talking about how many prospects and picks the Wings have? That implies moving some of those picks to fill needs is part of the plan.

The Kings won’t be drafting a defenseman at 5.  I’d suspect they will chose between Couzens and Dach.  I’m not sure they can wait for Podkolzin if he slips.     They have Toronto’s pick at 27 from the Muzzin trade and with their 2nd round it gives them 3 of the top 32 picks.   That’s at least enough as a start to consider trying to move up into the top 2 spots.    Uncertain if they will even try or what else they would have to throw in to get either NYR or NJ to bite.   

9 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

So will #19 be making the pick or will it be Kenny?

I don't think Yzerman will be brought in until after the draft. And it really doesn't matter. They would be using the information that Holland's scouts developed either way.