Sydney_Fife

Game 81: Grizzlies @ Pistons

28 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Agree.

And then tomorrow night on the road, game two of a back-to-back, front office looking to lose but players looking to make names for themselves for their next contract.

I can’t imagine that playing well in a single game agains the pistons on the last night of the season is going to carry much weight in contract negotiations. 

21 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Exactly, lots of trash that needs to be cleared out.  GRIII was another stellar signing too.

Blake & Andre are the only guys with significant contracts after next season. And they are both good players. The "trash" will be moved out on its own. 

I liked the signing too but it doesn't seem like Casey is too interested in playing him much. In fairness to Casey, GRIII hasn't earned more playing time but sometimes young players need more leash to figure it out. The talent is there to be a solid bench contributor.

5 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Yuck, I thought that was only a one year deal.  I didn't mind at as a one year.  They didn't have much wiggle room, so, a one year, sure, why not?

Of the FA, Smith is the only one I would bring back, but I can see him going elsewhere to be the primary bench PG.

Two years but the second isn't guaranteed.  So basically a team option on the second year.

Another reason that move was great, it creates a nice trade chip once the Pistons season is over.  Remember, you can start making deals again once you're eliminated from the playoffs (And so is the team you trade with) up until the last game of the finals.  A team looking to create cap space this summer will covet a guy like GRIII since he can be cut and save them $4M instantly.  Most likely you're looking at a couple of second round picks, but there is an outside shot of landing a first round pick for him.  Simply because a team looking to create cap space probably wont want the guaranteed contract of a first round pick on the roster, they will want that space for free agents.  I wouldn't hold your breath on that though, but it is possible.  

58 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I dont know, tonight scares me a bit.

A bunch of guys who haven't played all season, with fresh legs, trying to put something on tape to show coaches they can/should play.  Detroit still wins, but it's a little scary.  

Young guys who haven't played together and want to show they can hang typically equals  bad shots, turning the ball over and no flow on the offense.

...At least that's what I hope this will be for Memphis. 

Just now, Shelton said:

I can’t imagine that playing well in a single game agains the pistons on the last night of the season is going to carry much weight in contract negotiations. 

Who knows what teams are going to look at, what game film gets used.  Better to play well rather than just cash it in because its the last game.

1 minute ago, 313DetroitCity said:

Blake & Andre are the only guys with significant contracts after next season. And they are both good players. The "trash" will be moved out on its own. 

I don't think either of them are the problem individually but both together kind of is. I just don't see much chemistry between the two so I think the Pistons would be better off with one or the other, not both. Reggie is the real problem but these two don't mix well either.

Preferably, I'd rather see a sweeping out of all of them and just start this thing from scratch. They need to commit one way or another to a real plan, not continue to mire in mediocrity and shuffle deck chairs. What I do know is that this group as is isn't getting it done. Try to dump Reggie in the offseason then go from there.

2 minutes ago, 313DetroitCity said:

Young guys who haven't played together and want to show they can hang typically equals  bad shots, turning the ball over and no flow on the offense.

...At least that's what I hope this will be for Memphis. 

I think you're right.

Going up by about 35 in the first half would be nice.  Then just let Blake sit the entire second half.

3 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I just don't see much chemistry between the two

Last I checked, they were playing well together based on the analytics. Their two man lineup has been good for the Pistons. The role players are the issue. 

3 hours ago, Sydney_Fife said:

Regardless of what happens the next 2 nights, it's pretty obvious this team needs major changes. They going to end up .500 or below despite having full healthy seasons of Blake and Reggie. Ish got hurt and that was pretty much it. And they still aren't good.

But, they're capped out. They have no room to do anything. Going into the summer and then next season, they'll have $40 million in expiring money. Jackson, Leuer, Galloway, and Josh fricken Smith. 

So we are still going to have to sit through another season of this junk, so I am hopeful they can win these next 2 just so they can make the playoffs. Because I doubt it happens next season with this same group coming back.

Another season of the team playing together.  Maybe getting some playoff experience and possibly pulling off a good trade mid next year to make the team better for a stretch run. 

That seems ok with me, but I am obviously not as die hard of a Pistons fan as you are so I am sure you are expecting more.

If anyone wants Drummond to be traded, they should want this team in the playoffs. His performance in a series will say a lot about his actual development. 

1 hour ago, 313DetroitCity said:

Two "good" players shouldn't be making half of your team's cap space. Especially two power position players in an NBA that is perimeter oriented.

They needed to blow it up for draft picks at the trade deadline. The problem is that Gores has shown that he has no sense and just wants to keep banging his head against the same brick wall hoping to make a dent. Making the playoffs only gives him another tiny speck of hope.

Rest Blake. Rest the whole team. I'll always root for the Pistons to win, but I really don't want them to make the playoffs. Watching them get obliterated 0-4 by the Bucks isn't raising any trade values, it'll only lower our draft pick which is already too low because we didn't make any decisions about the future of this franchise at the deadline.

That home loss to Cleveland is huge right now.  Griffin could rest these last two games and be as ready as possible for the first round loss to Milwauronto.

13 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

They needed to blow it up for draft picks at the trade deadline. The problem is that Gores has shown that he has no sense and just wants to keep banging his head against the same brick wall hoping to make a dent. Making the playoffs only gives him another tiny speck of hope.

Rest Blake. Rest the whole team. I'll always root for the Pistons to win, but I really don't want them to make the playoffs. Watching them get obliterated 0-4 by the Bucks isn't raising any trade values, it'll only lower our draft pick which is already too low because we didn't make any decisions about the future of this franchise at the deadline.

Spot on.

If this were a young team fighting for a playoff spot yet destined to be wiped off the court by a top seed, that's one thing.  I would understand excitement about the playoffs.  But there is absolutely no growth potential for this team.  They'll be around .500 again next season.  There might be room for some FA signings of some sort and the Matador should be off the roster for 2020-2021, but Griffin will be older and more expensive.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

Two "good" players shouldn't be making half of your team's cap space. Especially two power position players in an NBA that is perimeter oriented.

There is far more value in a playoff series than there is in moving up from 15th to 14th in the draft order. 

20 minutes ago, Casimir said:

That home loss to Cleveland is huge right now.  Griffin could rest these last two games and be as ready as possible for the first round loss to Milwauronto.

The home loss to Sacramento.  The home loss to Atlanta before Trae Young was on fire.  

We could probably come up with a few more.

Line is Detroit -10.5.  Not sure how you handicap this game.  I love gamblers.  

52 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

The home loss to Sacramento.  The home loss to Atlanta before Trae Young was on fire.  

We could probably come up with a few more.

0 for Charlotte.

On the other hand, that 4 for Toronto has kept the dream afloat.

There is far more value in a playoff series than there is in moving up from 15th to 14th in the draft order. 

For a young team on the rise it is, not for an older team that has little room for growth. I suppose it would be good for Kennard to get a taste of playoff intensity but not much to gain beyond that.

Whether or not they squeak into the playoffs has little bearing on their future. Getting stomped by Milwaukee or Toronto isn't valuable experience. The only ones this would benefit is the fans who want to see the team in the playoffs and Gores to get 2 games of playoff revenue.

The difference between 14th and 15th doesn't mean much either outside of gaining an extreme longshot lottery ticket.  That's the problem with this team, there's nothing about this season that they can build on.

9 minutes ago, NYLion said:

For a young team on the rise it is, not for an older team that has little room for growth. I suppose it would be good for Kennard to get a taste of playoff intensity but not much to gain beyond that.

Whether or not they squeak into the playoffs has little bearing on their future. Getting stomped by Milwaukee or Toronto isn't valuable experience. The only ones this would benefit is the fans who want to see the team in the playoffs and Gores to get 2 games of playoff revenue.

The difference between 14th and 15th doesn't mean much either outside of gaining an extreme longshot lottery ticket.  That's the problem with this team, there's nothing about this season that they can build on.

It is incredibly valuable for Drummond. He is 25 and has only played in one playoff series.

It is valuable for Kennard. It is valuable for Brown. It is valuable for the front office to see their roster against the best competition so they can evaluate the roster in a more holistic way. 

It is incredibly valuable for Drummond. He is 25 and has only played in one playoff series.

It is valuable for Kennard. It is valuable for Brown. It is valuable for the front office to see their roster against the best competition so they can evaluate the roster in a more holistic way. 

I don't see the value in getting blown out by a team that's out of their league. This isn't a young team with aspirations of bigger things getting a taste of their first playoff action. It's a middling team with no identity and no direction squeaking into a playoff spot.

It'll be fun for the fans to see 2 playoff games in LCA and for Gores to line his pockets with more dough. Other than that, this doesn't move the needle long term unless they miraculously did something with this opportunity and pushed a far superior team to the limit.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I don't see the value in getting blown out by a team that's out of their league. This isn't a young team with aspirations of bigger things getting a taste of their first playoff action. It's a middling team with no identity and no direction squeaking into a playoff spot.

It'll be fun for the fans to see 2 playoff games in LCA and for Gores to line his pockets with more dough. Other than that, this doesn't move the needle long term unless they miraculously did something with this opportunity and pushed a far superior team to the limit.

Does it move the needle long term if they miss the playoffs and draft a few spots higher?

Long term, we are all going to die. 

2 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Does it move the needle long term if they miss the playoffs and draft a few spots higher?

Long term, we are all going to die. 

Nope. If you read my previous post, I don't think that has much value either. It's the definition of a team stuck in no mans' land.