RedRamage

Tigers Pitchers: Strikeouts at very high level

If you feel like you're seeing a lot more strike out by Tigers' pitchers early on in this season than you're used to see, you're not wrong.  So far in 10 games Tigers' Pitchers can accumulated 99 strike outs... very nearly 10 K's per game.  I looked back thru the first 10 games of previous seasons to 2013 and every one had lower -- often much lower -- K's per game:

• 2018: 7.2 Ks per game
  • 2017: 7.4
  • 2016: 6.9
  • 2015: 5.9
  • 2014: 7.7
  • 2013: 9

As you can see we didn't even get close to the current rate until 2013.  Now, part of that, you might say, is because of the one awesome strikeout game by Boyd.  And that's true.  13Ks by Boyd, and another 2 each from Farmer and Jimenez, plus one more from Greene.   18Ks in that game.  But even if we wipe out that game and just look at the other 9 the Tigers are still averaging 9Ks per game, which ties the previous high in the last 6 years.

Please note: I'm simply reporting on the numbers here because it seemed to me that strikeouts were way up and I wanted to check if that was really the case.  I'm certainly not saying that I expect (nearly) 10Ks per game average to extend through the whole year.  Nor am I trying to indicated that this is a good or bad thing.  I think you could make the argument either way.

On the other hand, their hitters have also struck out 99 times.  

29 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

If you feel like you're seeing a lot more strike out by Tigers' pitchers early on in this season than you're used to see, you're not wrong.  So far in 10 games Tigers' Pitchers can accumulated 99 strike outs... very nearly 10 K's per game.  I looked back thru the first 10 games of previous seasons to 2013 and every one had lower -- often much lower -- K's per game:

• 2018: 7.2 Ks per game
  • 2017: 7.4
  • 2016: 6.9
  • 2015: 5.9
  • 2014: 7.7
  • 2013: 9

As you can see we didn't even get close to the current rate until 2013.  Now, part of that, you might say, is because of the one awesome strikeout game by Boyd.  And that's true.  13Ks by Boyd, and another 2 each from Farmer and Jimenez, plus one more from Greene.   18Ks in that game.  But even if we wipe out that game and just look at the other 9 the Tigers are still averaging 9Ks per game, which ties the previous high in the last 6 years.

Please note: I'm simply reporting on the numbers here because it seemed to me that strikeouts were way up and I wanted to check if that was really the case.  I'm certainly not saying that I expect (nearly) 10Ks per game average to extend through the whole year.  Nor am I trying to indicated that this is a good or bad thing.  I think you could make the argument either way.

League average is 83 total.  We are 16 over after 10 games...about 1.5 more per game than average.

I think some percentage of this is umpire luck. I just browsed through all the strike call maps for this season and the only game the umpire called conservatively was April 4, when there were only a 11 K between both teams. Most of the other other games the zone tended to the liberal side if they tended at all - oddly enough Boyd's game,  was called pretty neutral - he was just on. Maybe the Umps were told to call a lot of strikes early in the season to encourage hitters to swing the bat.

Also note that the Tigers have already played a few extra innings - small effect but it does inflate Ks/game vs Ks/9.

19 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

99 bottles of beer on the wall, 99 bottles of beer....

36 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I think some percentage of this is umpire luck. I just browsed through all the strike call maps for this season and the only game the umpire called conservatively was April 4, when there were only a 11 K between both teams. Most of the other other games the zone tended to the liberal side if they tended at all - oddly enough Boyd's game,  was called pretty neutral - he was just on. Maybe the Umps were told to call a lot of strikes early in the season to encourage hitters to swing the bat.

Also note that the Tigers have already played a few extra innings - small effect but it does inflate Ks/game vs Ks/9.

Conspiracy theorist!

1 hour ago, John_Brian_K said:

League average is 83 total.  We are 16 over after 10 games...about 1.5 more per game than average.

More proof this team is above average.

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

They got 99 problems but a series loss ain't one of em