Sign in to follow this  
MH3

Tigers TV Broadcast Target Market- Over 75?

I feel terrible for you under age 75  Tigers fans. This afternoon MLB Network is broadcasting Tigers v Royals and the Tigers new broadcast team has the airwaves. Horrible. Wow do I miss Mario and Rod. I heard they had behind the scenes issues but replacing them with with two dinosaurs with no charisma is a major overreaction. This team will not survive the year. In today's broadcasting world, the color commentary has to have supreme charisma. Dallas Braden replaced snoozer Ray Fosse for the A's broadcasts. Brian Andersen replaced Kevin Kennedy a few years back with the Rays. You mean to tell me the Tigers could NOT find any former player out there who can carry a telecast like Rod, Braden or Andersen? C'mon. Sorry Tigers Fans!

• Like 1

On 4/6/2019 at 11:52 AM, MH3 said:

I feel terrible for you under age 75  Tigers fans. This afternoon MLB Network is broadcasting Tigers v Royals and the Tigers new broadcast team has the airwaves. Horrible. Wow do I miss Mario and Rod. I heard they had behind the scenes issues but replacing them with with two dinosaurs with no charisma is a major overreaction. This team will not survive the year. In today's broadcasting world, the color commentary has to have supreme charisma. Dallas Braden replaced snoozer Ray Fosse for the A's broadcasts. Brian Andersen replaced Kevin Kennedy a few years back with the Rays. You mean to tell me the Tigers could NOT find any former player out there who can carry a telecast like Rod, Braden or Andersen? C'mon. Sorry Tigers Fans!

I agree with you completely Mr. Allen. I think you were unappreciated here in your tenure and I think Mario was more at fault that you were in this incident. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

At least Rod and Mario had melodious broadcaster voices. That’s not a backhanded compliment. A voice that’s pleasing and does not grate is important in a situation where vocalization is key. I certainly don’t have a pleasing broadcasting voice and not many people do. Mario, and especially Rod, did.

The nature or quality of what is being vocalized is a completely other matter.  Nobody is ever going to be happy with what a broadcaster has to say unless it’s a cross between Vin Scully and Bill James with a dash of Harry Carey tossed in to liven it up. 

I can't believe I"m saying this, but I miss Mario and Rod. The current booth is a plugged-toilet. Shep auditioning "signature" calls is embarrassing. Anyone else catch him come this close to saying "he stood there like the house by the side of the road and watched it go by" the other day? He managed to stop himself after the first three words, but he didn't know what to say after it, so it was a 9-month-pregnant pause before he awkwardly finished it with something forgettable. 

• Like 1

Shep makes a lot of mistakes.  Mario was much better.

• Like 2

The Tigers do not hire the broadcast crew. FSD does. 

11 hours ago, Yoda said:

Shhhhhh .. it was supposed to remain a secret.

12 hours ago, holygoat said:

Shep auditioning "signature" calls is embarrassing.

Shephard is mediocre, and I'm being kind.  In today's media market where good, dynamic announcers are vital to keeping people from switching the channel or whipping out their smart phone, Shephard's hiring was puzzling.

11 hours ago, Yoda said:

While technically you are correct I know in the past the Tigers had a big voice on who would be in the booth.

At least that was the way it worked on the radio side

13 hours ago, Yoda said:

It’s not that simple. The broadcasters are indeed FSD employees, but the tigers were involved in the hiring process and had to approve those hires. While it’s difficult to say how involved they were in the decision making process, they still had to sign off on it. 

2 hours ago, Euphdude said:

Shephard is mediocre, and I'm being kind.  In today's media market where good, dynamic announcers are vital to keeping people from switching the channel or whipping out their smart phone, Shephard's hiring was puzzling.

Shepard is nothing like mediocre. Mediocre implies some good to balance out the bad. I have never seen Shepard be good in any respect.

Matt Shepard is a deer in the headlights, intimidated by both the major league surroundings and by the presence in the booth of his heroes he grew up worshipping. Remember, Shepard did not do a single baseball broadcast at any level, except to fill in for Mario last year, before he was hired full time. If the FSD and the Tigers had wanted a baseball man ... well, they clearly didn’t, because they hired someone who is obviously nothing like a baseball man.

The fact of the matter is that the Fox hired Shepard on the cheap to run out their RSN contract, which expires at some point that’s secret for some reason, and they will then be out of the picture, at which point the Tigers will launch the new network and hire a different PxP man. Or at least I presume so. Because if they simply rehire Matt Shepard, which could be only for the reason of saving money on having to pay an actual major league level PxP guy, then it will be clear they don’t respect their fans’ baseball intelligence.

Thank god for radio audio overlay.

6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Shepard is nothing like mediocre. Mediocre implies some good to balance out the bad. I have never seen Shepard be good in any respect.

Matt Shepard is a deer in the headlights, intimidated by both the major league surroundings and by the presence in the booth of his heroes he grew up worshipping. Remember, Shepard did not do a single baseball broadcast at any level, except to fill in for Mario last year, before he was hired full time. If the FSD and the Tigers had wanted a baseball man ... well, they clearly didn’t, because they hired someone who is obviously nothing like a baseball man.

The fact of the matter is that the Fox hired Shepard on the cheap to run out their RSN contract, which expires at some point that’s secret for some reason, and they will then be out of the picture, at which point the Tigers will launch the new network and hire a different PxP man. Or at least I presume so. Because if they simply rehire Matt Shepard, which could be only for the reason of saving money on having to pay an actual major league level PxP guy, then it will be clear they don’t respect their fans’ baseball intelligence.

Thank god for radio audio overlay.

I agree that Shep is awful. 

I don’t agree that it is a fact that he was simply hired on the cheap to run out the remainder of the contract. Are you privy to the salary he is making or the salaries demanded by other candidates? I suspect that if they wanted to hire someone on the cheap, there were probably a number of other candidates available that they could have thrown into the booth that would cost less than Shep. 

According to crain’s the current tv deal expires after 2021. That seems about right, especially with the news that Olympia is looking to launch their own network. 

Whether or not the tigers and the new network decide to keep Shep (or any of the other on air “talent” currently drawing a paycheck from FSD) is anybody’s guess. I suspect that a lot of the people involved in these broadcasts (both in front of the camera and behind the scenes) will be brought over to the new network. 

Shep has the advantage of name recognition. The Tigers thought that was something.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I did say I was being kind.  He makes me wish for the days of Rick Rizzs and Bob Rathbun (although in retrospect they were good broadcasters).

Rathbun is doing ok in Atlanta with basketball. I knew him from his days before the Tigers (his current wife as well) they were both a bit of jerks as I recall.

That was over 30 years ago.

Shep is much better at football than baseball.  He's ok at football.

I miss Rod and Mario too.  We cheered a little, let’s admit it, when Rod and Mario bit the dust. This is, unfortunately, a perfect example of what Oscar Wilde said were the two greatest tragedies in life:

1) Not getting what you want. 

2) Getting what you want. 

Obviously, we got what we wanted and it is indeed tragic. 

The critiques of the broadcast team are county strong...

29 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

Shep is much better at football than baseball.  He's ok at football.

I think Shep is best at calling basketball games. He's at least passable in that role.

Shep’s main job, besides live reads duh, is asking questions of his hero sidekicks.