RatkoVarda

2019 Tiger Prospects

4 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Mize continues to toy with these single A hitters. Seven innings of 1 hit ball tonight with 6ks. 

Erie by May or June? 

12 minutes ago, Walewander said:

Erie by May or June? 

I think May. Early May even.

4 hours ago, irvink said:

I think May. Early May even.

This.  I’m sure they just want to avoid all of the April rainouts.  

Mize, Manning and Faedo in the same rotation will be fun to watch.

1 hour ago, Longgone said:

LooseGoose have a stroke?

A Brain fart.   Was posting game thread stuff in the wrong place.   I need to avoid posting while distracted.   My sincere apologies for leaving that hole in this thread.

We're in a tough spot with Mize, I really don't think there is a whole lot left for him to work on in the minors and at the very least he should be ready by September or next year at the latest.  Of course since we're probably not looking to be contending then we don't want to start the clock earlier than we have to but you also don't want him wasting his "bullets" down in the minors.     

yeah, That sounds like a great spot to be in if it's actually the case.   

Repeating this, but if they bring Mize up in late April 2020, they have his rights thru 2026. If they cannot contend in that window, just contract the team

• Like 2

Mize is clearly too good for Lakeland. This isn’t like when porcello pitches the entire there, obviously. 

But I do think there are some political motivations in keeping him there longer. If he jumps to Erie and dominates, there will be pressure to bring him up to AAA. And if he dominates once he is there, the pressure to call him up will mount. Mize is the type of player where an extra year of control is important. 

Fortunately, the tigers can fall back on innings limits to avoid a September call up. But it would be helpful from a PR perspective to avoid calls for an August call up. 

There is also the danger of calling him up and then having him suffer a long term injury, and losing service time while he is on the DL. 

I think Mize will get to AAA in august for a few starts before shutting down due to innings. 

43 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Since 6/1/2018, Jake Rogers is batting 259/359/530/890 at Erie.

Interesting.  He was pretty abysmal in April & May, so I wonder if it was just bad luck or if he changed some part of his approach?

Do service time concerns really matter for pitchers? The attrition rate is so high you might as well use the bullets while you can.

I thought they may have actually hit a HR, but that was the first warning track power we have seen in about a week.  Time to get add on runs. 

Lots of doubles today, good to see the good swings and good contact (except for Harrison of  course)

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

Mize is clearly too good for Lakeland.

And Faedo and Manning have given up a total of 13 hits in 27 innings at AA. Right now things are too good to be true - which means they probably aren't.

33 minutes ago, kdog said:

Do service time concerns really matter for pitchers? The attrition rate is so high you might as well use the bullets while you can.

I agree, assuming there is something to shoot at. 

And just because attrition is so high, it doesn’t mean you should just throw away value for no benefit. The extra year of control we managed to get with porcello allowed us to trade him for value prior to his final year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

I agree, assuming there is something to shoot at. 

And just because attrition is so high, it doesn’t mean you should just throw away value for no benefit. The extra year of control we managed to get with porcello allowed us to trade him for value prior to his final year. 

For most pitchers, I agree. If they seem ready for the bigs, get them in there.

Mize feels like a special one though. The extra year for him could prove quite valuable.

If this were 2013-2014, a year where we had a good chance of competing for playoffs and beyond, then I think it would be different. His next start would be AA and I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the big leagues for good by August, maybe even with a few spot starts along the way. 

But the team is in tank mode and no reason to rush things. 

side note, if he continues to blow through minors, get to AAA by August, I wonder if the Tigers try to sign him to a 7 year deal that assures him a spot on the opening day roster. Assuming health/performance, it makes sense for the Tigers - it even makes him a more valuable trade chip if his rebuild collapses. Could make a lot of sense for Mize too since pitchers are always one big injury away from oblivion.

Baseball needs to just figure out a rule that makes sense so we don't have to have these stupid service time discussions.  

26 minutes ago, Hart said:

Baseball needs to just figure out a rule that makes sense so we don't have to have these stupid service time discussions.  

the service time system is also a major contributor to tanking strategy - so another reason to jettison it.

26 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

the service time system is also a major contributor to tanking strategy - so another reason to jettison it.

Would an overall time of control work?  6 or 7 years from when they signed?   MiLB/MLB all count the same?

35 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Would an overall time of control work?  6 or 7 years from when they signed?   MiLB/MLB all count the same?

IDK, I've been thinking more along the line doing away with control periods completely but give teams contract matching rights on anyone they want to keep and 5 or 6 yr limit on contract length Let the younger better players make the bigger money with their home teams