RatkoVarda

2019 Tiger Prospects

3 minutes ago, leflore said:

That's one of my favorite baseball cards. 

this was my favorite as a kid, it taught me that choking up on the bat was ok - maybe even cool.

mlb_millan_200.jpg

11 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

this was my favorite as a kid, it taught me that choking up on the bat was ok - maybe even cool.

mlb_millan_200.jpg

Until you swing and nut check yourself.

• Haha 1

Tarik ******* Skubal. 

5IP, 3H, 1R, 10k. FB at 97. 

21K in 10IP for Erie so far, all 21 swinging. This kid is blowing the **** up. 

• Like 1

Mudhens lose at Louisville 7-6. Funkhouser(L1-5) roughed up again. 3IP, 7H 5ER 1BB 3K.
Adleman with a nice appearance. 4.1 IP 2H 5K. Robson 1/3 2BB.

Lugo consistently tearing it up against AAA pitching but do we care?

At Erie, Wolves shut out 1-0. Waste a great performance by Skubal (as noted above). Gibson 2/3 2B, Paredes 1/4

At. West MI: Cap lose 6-2. Lipcius 2/3 BB. McMillan 2/4

Conn Tigers fall 7-5. Liniak 2/3, 2BB. King 1/3 BB. Riley Greene held out after NY-Penn league pitchers appeal for his promotion directly to the Midwest league.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am actually encouraged by Lugo's work in Toledo. He was terrible there last year. A 633 OPS. That was his first taste of AAA and he never really earned the major league time he got.

He clearly wasn't ready for the show this year either, but in 47 AAA games so far, he has a 940 ops. He's still 24. I don't think he'll ever be a star, but I think there's still a chance he could be a useful MLB player. 

• Thanks 1

Dr. #NoHubris Retweeted

Detroit Tigers Player Development Retweeted Dr. #NoHubris

Skubal's stock is out of control. A lefty who sits mid-90s with command is rare. Arguably their best late-round find in years. Talked to a scout last week who called him "A top-5 prospect in the entire system." -DH

Apparently sportz has a tigers prospect podcast now if you want stephen a Smith's logic combined with unfettered negativity.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

Dr. #NoHubris Retweeted

Detroit Tigers Player Development Retweeted Dr. #NoHubris

Skubal's stock is out of control. A lefty who sits mid-90s with command is rare. Arguably their best late-round find in years. Talked to a scout last week who called him "A top-5 prospect in the entire system." -DH

yeah more pitching!

8 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

yeah more pitching!

If they don't score we have a 50/50 chance at winning, that's straight from the analytics department!

On 7/11/2019 at 6:15 PM, Charles Liston said:

Oh right, high school players who played in a full season league.  David Clyde is a long long time ago, and unless you make it to the majors no one notices.

The last high school draftees to go directly to the majors were Mike Morgan, Tim Conroy and Brian Miller, all in 1978. None since, and probably none ever again.

1 hour ago, Keepleyland2 said:

yeah more pitching!

Pitching like that, anybody could use more of.

It's one of the beauties of baseball that a kid could be selected in the ninth round and somehow learn how to set the baseball world on fire along the way, even amid the all-too-common crushing disappointments of early round failures.

Lots of MiLB slug fests tonight.

At Louisville:
Hens score 9, but never catch up after VerHagen gives up 8 to get the 1st 5 outs - fall 12-9. Rosenthal threw one inning, 1K 1HR. Scivicque 2/5, Castro 2/6, Peterson 3/4 2B BB, Daz 1/4 BB. Mahtook 2/5 HR.

At Erie:
Wolves come up on the short end of 10-7:
Hill 2/5 HR, Paredes 1/5 2b, Eaves 3/3 2HR BB (Had a night). DeCaster 2 clean innings of relief.

At Daytona:
FTigers dropped today's game 6-1:Deatherage 2/4 3b. Dropped the makeup of yesterday's game 2-1: Hill(L2-4) went 6IP 6H 2ER OBB 4K 1HR. Deatherage 2/4 3B (not a typo. The grim reaper tripled in each game).

At West Mi
Caps win 7-4: Lipcius 3/4 BB, Quintana 1/4 2B, Meadows 2/2, Proctor 3/4 2B

AT Conn:
CTtigers win 9-6 with no XBH (but 7 BB): Riley 1/4 BB (OPS dips under 1.000 - Fire Avila). Quiggle 2/3 BB, Kreidler 1/4 BB

• Like 1

Hens bang out 16 hits at Louisville in 9-4 win. Alexander(W4-9) goes 7.1 6H 3ER 0BB 4K. Woodrow 2/5, W Castro 2/4, Robson 3/3 2BB 2B. Rogers 2/4 2x2B, Peterson 2/5 2B

Erie comes from behind with 2 in the 8th to take Altoona 6-5. Castro goes 5 IP 2H 2ER 4BB 9K. Hill 1/3 BB 2B, Paredes 1/3 BB, Pinero 1/4 2B, Azocar 3/4 HR, Schwindel 1/4 HR

Lakeland on the short end  of 6-3 against Daytona. Deatherage  1/4 HR

WM falls 7-2 - all the runs given up in relief. Smith 6IP 3H 0R 2BB 5K. Lipcius 1/4 BB, Proctor 2/5, Quintana 1/4, Perez  1/4

Conn falls to Tri-City 6-4: Greene 1/4 BB, Liniak 1/5, King 1/3. Greene has been on base at least twice in his last 5 games.

On 7/12/2019 at 9:47 PM, irvink said:

I am actually encouraged by Lugo's work in Toledo. He was terrible there last year. A 633 OPS. That was his first taste of AAA and he never really earned the major league time he got.

He clearly wasn't ready for the show this year either, but in 47 AAA games so far, he has a 940 ops. He's still 24. I don't think he'll ever be a star, but I think there's still a chance he could be a useful MLB player. 

Agreed, some guys need to bounce up and down 5 to 6 times, to adjust. I’m wouldn’t just write him off.

On 7/13/2019 at 5:39 AM, Edman85 said:

Apparently sportz has a tigers prospect podcast now if you want stephen a Smith's logic combined with unfettered negativity.

TSE should be the co host. I’d listen to every episode. Flipping AA needs to better utilize OE%

Got to go see the Whitecaps tonight. I was really impressed with Christopher Proctor, I could not see how well he framed pitches, but he handled the ball pretty well until the wild pitches happened in the 7th. He threw out 2 runners, might have been three. He also really handled the bat well, 2/5 with a  couple RBI tonight. Was not impressed with the 2nd Baseman tonight, Jeff Kenly, maybe it was 2nd game in WMi jitters, but he had 3 errors. He got to balls but could not gobble them up and wasn't able to transfer from glove to hand. He appeared to try too hard to make up for it at the plate. Lipcius looked good at SS. The starting pitcher has kind of a funky delivery towards home plate, a bit herky jerky, but was mowing them down, 6ip 3 hits 0R. Caps lost.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

Agreed, some guys need to bounce up and down 5 to 6 times, to adjust. I’m wouldn’t just write him off.

Lugo is only 24, and it ain't like both 2B and 3B are locked up.  I wouldn't write him off, either. 

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

Lugo is only 24, and it ain't like both 2B and 3B are locked up.  I wouldn't write him off, either. 

If he could average an extra walk per week, he'd be a strong prospect.  Really the only thing missing from his game.  He's always had good hit skills and potential power.