RatkoVarda

2019 Tiger Prospects

2 hours ago, pyrotigers said:

Is Greene confident? 

It would be great if he would advance to West Michigan before the end of the season. 

28 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

It would be great if he would advance to West Michigan before the end of the season. 

I heard Dan Hasty mention that he would not be surprised to see Greene in West Mi later this summer. It made me wonder how common this actually is. How rare is it for a high school kid to make it to full season ball in his draft year? Are there recent examples anyone can think of?

54 minutes ago, irvink said:

I heard Dan Hasty mention that he would not be surprised to see Greene in West Mi later this summer. It made me wonder how common this actually is. How rare is it for a high school kid to make it to full season ball in his draft year? Are there recent examples anyone can think of?

Tatis didn't, Torres didn't. It looks like Trout did, but I wouldn't swear to it since his A ball team was Cedar Rapids and they are now a Twins affiliate. They are a full season team now but it's possible the team changed leagues when it changed affiliation.  That's all I got.

I'll bid John Olerud, who reported directly to the majors in his draft year in 1989.  That's full-season, right?

Tatis and Torres were international, not subject to the draft. You are right on Trout, he played 5 games in the MWL in his draft year and he had just turned 18. 

Olerud came out of college.

It feels like there is more of a chance for this to happen now, since the changes to CBA/signing deadline (I think this started in 2012) means most players sign immediately and high school hitters get shoved right into rookie ball. 

Greene is really the first high end High School bat the Tigers have had since those changes. Hill was the only other first rounder but was much more a work-in-progress with the bat, obviously.

Just searching some candidates from last couple of years and I see Nolan Gorman did make it to the MWL/full season last year. He actually played 25 games there. 

Oh right, high school players who played in a full season league.  David Clyde is a long long time ago, and unless you make it to the majors no one notices.

Didn’t Dwight Gooden move up quick? Wasn’t he with the Mets by the age 19? I’ll have to check. 

2 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Didn’t Dwight Gooden move up quick? Wasn’t he with the Mets by the age 19? I’ll have to check. 

He played in Rookie and I think short season A when he was 17. And a full season at class A winning 19 games when he was 18. 

45 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

Oh right, high school players who played in a full season league.  David Clyde is a long long time ago, and unless you make it to the majors no one notices.

didnt clyde miss his major league pension by like 3 games and ended up destitute, living in a shack?

45 minutes ago, Buddha said:

didnt clyde miss his major league pension by like 3 games and ended up destitute, living in a shack?

What's his user name here?

• Like 1

In 1978 Oakland had Tim Conroy and Mike Morgan pitching as 18 year olds fresh out of HS

Toledo holds on 3-2 at Louisville. Woodrow 4/5 2B;  Robson 2/4 HR BB; Carpenter(W4-5) 6IP 5H 1ER 2BB 6K. Rosenthal worked an inning, struck out the side around 2 walks and a hit for 1ER.

Erie wins at Altoona 5-3. Hill 2/4; Paredes 1/2 2BB; Azocar 2/4, Pinero 2/4, HR 2B; Gibson 1/3 2B. Shore(W3-7), 6 IP, 2H, 1R, 0ER, 2BB, 3K.

At Lakeland, the FTs lose 3-2 to Bradenton. Clemens with his 10 HR

At West Mi. Caps are shut out 1-0. Lipcius 2/4; Meadows 1/2 BB

Connecticutt pulls away from Auburn 8-3 with a 4 run 9th. Riley 3/5 (OPS still safely over 1.000 ✔️), Liniak 2/4 BB; Kreidler 2/4 BB; Holton 2/3

10 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Toledo holds on 3-2 at Louisville. Woodrow 4/5 2B;  Robson 2/4 HR BB; Carpenter(W4-5) 6IP 5H 1ER 2BB 6K. Rosenthal worked an inning, struck out the side around 2 walks and a hit for 1ER.

Erie wins at Altoona 5-3. Hill 2/4; Paredes 1/2 2BB; Azocar 2/4, Pinero 2/4, HR 2B; Gibson 1/3 2B. Shore(W3-7), 6 IP, 2H, 1R, 0ER, 2BB, 3K.

At Lakeland, the FTs lose 3-2 to Bradenton. Clemens with this 10 HR

At West Mi. Caps are shut out 1-0. Lipcius 2/4; Meadows 1/2 BB

Connecticutt pulls away from Auburn 8-3 with a 4 run 9th. Riley 3/5 (OPS still safely over 1.000 ✔️), Liniak 2/4 BB; Kreidler 2/4 BB; Holton 2/3

I want you to know I read all of these and really appreciate the work behind them.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Didn't Al Kaline move up quickly?

Went straight to majors. Back in the 40s/50s if a team gave a bonus of $4000+ to a newly signed player, that player had to remain in the majors for at least 2 seasons. Was put into place to stop big market teams from outbidding other teams with huge bonuses. Kaline was such a bonus kid. Killebrew, Koufax and several others were subject to that rule. 

8 minutes ago, leflore said:

Went straight to majors. Back in the 40s/50s if a team gave a bonus of $4000+ to a newly signed player, that player had to remain in the majors for at least 2 seasons. Was put into place to stop big market teams from outbidding other teams with huge bonuses. Kaline was such a bonus kid. Killebrew, Koufax and several others were subject to that rule. 

Was there something K names in that era?

11 minutes ago, leflore said:

Was just looking at his game logs from '53. They used him strictly as a late inning defensive replacement in his 1st 26 games. He got his first start on Sept 16. Got 4 more starts over the last 2 weeks of the season. Then was a starter out of the gate in '54. Played 138 games, got 139 hits but little power. Then came '55 and the rest is, as they say, history.

11 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

Was there something K names in that era?

Are you thinking of Harvey Kuenn?

8 minutes ago, apabruce said:

Are you thinking of Harvey Kuenn?

I was just making the observation that he named Kaline, Koufax and Killebrew as stars in that era that came to MLB young.   Just odd that they were all K names.

I think there was a baseball card in the mid 50s that featured both Kaline and Kuenn titled "K Boys," or something like that.  I didn't own the card, but a friend did?  The memory from when I was 10-12 fades.

Image result for baseball card kaline and kuenn

This is the card image I remember, but it doesn't say K boys.  Oh well.

5 minutes ago, apabruce said:

I think there was a baseball card in the mid 50s that featured both Kaline and Kuenn titled "K Boys," or something like that.  I didn't own the card, but a friend did?  The memory from when I was 10-12 fades.

And you're right - Kuehn came up at age 21 too...so another very young K player in that era.

3 minutes ago, apabruce said:

Image result for baseball card kaline and kuenn

This is the card image I remember, but it doesn't say K boys.  Oh well.

lol, I did a quick search for it and couldn't find it, glad you did.

24 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

I was just making the observation that he named Kaline, Koufax and Killebrew as stars in that era that came to MLB young.   Just odd that they were all K names.

What did you expect, Ks are up after all.

• Haha 1