Jump to content

RatkoVarda

2019 Tiger Prospects

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, pyrotigers said:

Is Greene confident? 

It would be great if he would advance to West Michigan before the end of the season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

It would be great if he would advance to West Michigan before the end of the season. 

I heard Dan Hasty mention that he would not be surprised to see Greene in West Mi later this summer. It made me wonder how common this actually is. How rare is it for a high school kid to make it to full season ball in his draft year? Are there recent examples anyone can think of?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, irvink said:

I heard Dan Hasty mention that he would not be surprised to see Greene in West Mi later this summer. It made me wonder how common this actually is. How rare is it for a high school kid to make it to full season ball in his draft year? Are there recent examples anyone can think of?

Tatis didn't, Torres didn't. It looks like Trout did, but I wouldn't swear to it since his A ball team was Cedar Rapids and they are now a Twins affiliate. They are a full season team now but it's possible the team changed leagues when it changed affiliation.  That's all I got.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll bid John Olerud, who reported directly to the majors in his draft year in 1989.  That's full-season, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tatis and Torres were international, not subject to the draft. You are right on Trout, he played 5 games in the MWL in his draft year and he had just turned 18. 

Olerud came out of college.

It feels like there is more of a chance for this to happen now, since the changes to CBA/signing deadline (I think this started in 2012) means most players sign immediately and high school hitters get shoved right into rookie ball. 

Greene is really the first high end High School bat the Tigers have had since those changes. Hill was the only other first rounder but was much more a work-in-progress with the bat, obviously.

Just searching some candidates from last couple of years and I see Nolan Gorman did make it to the MWL/full season last year. He actually played 25 games there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh right, high school players who played in a full season league.  David Clyde is a long long time ago, and unless you make it to the majors no one notices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn’t Dwight Gooden move up quick? Wasn’t he with the Mets by the age 19? I’ll have to check. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Didn’t Dwight Gooden move up quick? Wasn’t he with the Mets by the age 19? I’ll have to check. 

He played in Rookie and I think short season A when he was 17. And a full season at class A winning 19 games when he was 18. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

Oh right, high school players who played in a full season league.  David Clyde is a long long time ago, and unless you make it to the majors no one notices.

didnt clyde miss his major league pension by like 3 games and ended up destitute, living in a shack?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Buddha said:

didnt clyde miss his major league pension by like 3 games and ended up destitute, living in a shack?

What's his user name here?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In 1978 Oakland had Tim Conroy and Mike Morgan pitching as 18 year olds fresh out of HS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Toledo holds on 3-2 at Louisville. Woodrow 4/5 2B;  Robson 2/4 HR BB; Carpenter(W4-5) 6IP 5H 1ER 2BB 6K. Rosenthal worked an inning, struck out the side around 2 walks and a hit for 1ER.

Erie wins at Altoona 5-3. Hill 2/4; Paredes 1/2 2BB; Azocar 2/4, Pinero 2/4, HR 2B; Gibson 1/3 2B. Shore(W3-7), 6 IP, 2H, 1R, 0ER, 2BB, 3K.

At Lakeland, the FTs lose 3-2 to Bradenton. Clemens with his 10 HR

At West Mi. Caps are shut out 1-0. Lipcius 2/4; Meadows 1/2 BB

Connecticutt pulls away from Auburn 8-3 with a 4 run 9th. Riley 3/5 (OPS still safely over 1.000 ✔️), Liniak 2/4 BB; Kreidler 2/4 BB; Holton 2/3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Toledo holds on 3-2 at Louisville. Woodrow 4/5 2B;  Robson 2/4 HR BB; Carpenter(W4-5) 6IP 5H 1ER 2BB 6K. Rosenthal worked an inning, struck out the side around 2 walks and a hit for 1ER.

Erie wins at Altoona 5-3. Hill 2/4; Paredes 1/2 2BB; Azocar 2/4, Pinero 2/4, HR 2B; Gibson 1/3 2B. Shore(W3-7), 6 IP, 2H, 1R, 0ER, 2BB, 3K.

At Lakeland, the FTs lose 3-2 to Bradenton. Clemens with this 10 HR

At West Mi. Caps are shut out 1-0. Lipcius 2/4; Meadows 1/2 BB

Connecticutt pulls away from Auburn 8-3 with a 4 run 9th. Riley 3/5 (OPS still safely over 1.000 ✔️), Liniak 2/4 BB; Kreidler 2/4 BB; Holton 2/3

I want you to know I read all of these and really appreciate the work behind them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Didn't Al Kaline move up quickly?

Went straight to majors. Back in the 40s/50s if a team gave a bonus of $4000+ to a newly signed player, that player had to remain in the majors for at least 2 seasons. Was put into place to stop big market teams from outbidding other teams with huge bonuses. Kaline was such a bonus kid. Killebrew, Koufax and several others were subject to that rule. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, leflore said:

Went straight to majors. Back in the 40s/50s if a team gave a bonus of $4000+ to a newly signed player, that player had to remain in the majors for at least 2 seasons. Was put into place to stop big market teams from outbidding other teams with huge bonuses. Kaline was such a bonus kid. Killebrew, Koufax and several others were subject to that rule. 

Was there something K names in that era?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, leflore said:

Went straight to majors. Back in the 40s/50s if a team gave a bonus of $4000+ to a newly signed player, that player had to remain in the majors for at least 2 seasons. Was put into place to stop big market teams from outbidding other teams with huge bonuses. Kaline was such a bonus kid. Killebrew, Koufax and several others were subject to that rule. 

Was just looking at his game logs from '53. They used him strictly as a late inning defensive replacement in his 1st 26 games. He got his first start on Sept 16. Got 4 more starts over the last 2 weeks of the season. Then was a starter out of the gate in '54. Played 138 games, got 139 hits but little power. Then came '55 and the rest is, as they say, history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, LooseGoose said:

Was there something K names in that era?

Are you thinking of Harvey Kuenn?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, apabruce said:

Are you thinking of Harvey Kuenn?

I was just making the observation that he named Kaline, Koufax and Killebrew as stars in that era that came to MLB young.   Just odd that they were all K names.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there was a baseball card in the mid 50s that featured both Kaline and Kuenn titled "K Boys," or something like that.  I didn't own the card, but a friend did?  The memory from when I was 10-12 fades.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Image result for baseball card kaline and kuenn

This is the card image I remember, but it doesn't say K boys.  Oh well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, apabruce said:

I think there was a baseball card in the mid 50s that featured both Kaline and Kuenn titled "K Boys," or something like that.  I didn't own the card, but a friend did?  The memory from when I was 10-12 fades.

And you're right - Kuehn came up at age 21 too...so another very young K player in that era.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, apabruce said:

Image result for baseball card kaline and kuenn

This is the card image I remember, but it doesn't say K boys.  Oh well.

lol, I did a quick search for it and couldn't find it, glad you did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

I was just making the observation that he named Kaline, Koufax and Killebrew as stars in that era that came to MLB young.   Just odd that they were all K names.

What did you expect, Ks are up after all.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...