RatkoVarda

2019 Tiger Prospects

Padres have a deep organization and are reportedly looking for starting pitching.  

Would Boyd for Abrams be fair?

28 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Padres have a deep organization and are reportedly looking for starting pitching.  

Would Boyd for Abrams be fair?

I believe recent draft picks are not eligible to be dealt until Jan 1 or something like that.

5 minutes ago, irvink said:

I believe recent draft picks are not eligible to be dealt until Jan 1 or something like that.

day after the world series, can't be a PTNBL before then....trea turner rule

26 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

day after the world series, can't be a PTNBL before then....trea turner rule

There you go. And yeah, they can't be PTBNL before then as he said. 

2 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

Jimenez. Said in jest. Haha.

Do you think Boyd could get Wander Franco or is that also a laugh ?

15 minutes ago, socaltiger said:

I don’t think Boyd and Greene get that done.  Boyd’s value has to have dropped over the last month.

I still think we should package to get the best yield from someone.

3 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Boyd’s value has to have dropped over the last month.

His underlying stuff or command would have to fundamentally change to affect his value,  his ability not the results dictate his worth.

5 minutes ago, Longgone said:

His underlying stuff or command would have to fundamentally change to affect his value,  his ability not the results dictate his worth.

Tigers have been giving away so many extra outs to the opposition, and the scoring is so absurd on shoddy 'D' that scores and ERAs are nothing better than 1st order approximations of a Tiger pitcher performance.

1 minute ago, Longgone said:

Ok

shifting gears, 1B Cole Zabrowski is interesting.  LH, 6-5, 240 from Ole Miss (22nd Round).  Had a very good college season.  Most impressively, he has only K’d 4x in 33 AB’s, to go with a .485 SLG %.  Very encouraging to see such a low K rate amongst a guy who profiles to hit with some power.  Should see CT soon if he keeps it up.

9 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Tigers have been giving away so many extra outs to the opposition, and the scoring is so absurd on shoddy 'D' that ERAs are nothing better than 1st order approximations.

Some teams, while not dismayed by Boyd’s 6+ ERA over the last 6 starts/35 IP, might be turned off by the 12 HR’s allowed. Maybe.

2 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Some teams, while not dismayed by Boyd’s 6+ ERA over the last 6 starts/35 IP, might be turned off by the 12 HR’s allowed. Maybe.

Should the Astros be concerned about Verlanders 12 HRs allowed in his last 5 starts?

4 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Look at his last start; faced 25 guys, 12 put the ball in play, 9 hits 2 homers, 13 strikeouts. Dominant performance, horrible results. Baseball.

19 minutes ago, Longgone said:

Look at his last start; faced 25 guys, 12 put the ball in play, 9 hits 2 homers, 13 strikeouts. Dominant performance, horrible results. Baseball.

1.69 WHIP in the game and didn’t get out of the 6th because he threw too many pitches.

I still think he’s a very good pitcher, but has come back down to earth at the worst possible time.  He doesn’t have much of track record coming into the season, and outside of April and May this season, has been close to league average.  Again, good, but the only talk of him commanding top prospects is likely confined to Detroit.

If I end up being wrong, I’ll eat crow and be the first to admit it.  However, I suspect he’ll be a Tiger next season. Which is OK.

33 minutes ago, TigerNation said:

Should the Astros be concerned about Verlanders 12 HRs allowed in his last 5 starts?

No.  Verlander has a track record and is heading to the HoF.

2 hours ago, socaltiger said:

The Rays are laughing.

4 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

The Rays are laughing.

Franco is easily the best prospect in baseball. In a league of his own right now. There's no getting him.

8 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

1.69 WHIP in the game and didn’t get out of the 6th because he threw too many pitches.

I still think he’s a very good pitcher, but has come back down to earth at the worst possible time.  He doesn’t have much of track record coming into the season, and outside of April and May this season, has been close to league average.  Again, good, but the only talk of him commanding top prospects is likely confined to Detroit.

If I end up being wrong, I’ll eat crow and be the first to admit it.  However, I suspect he’ll be a Tiger next season. Which is OK.

11 k/9, 2.5 bb/9, 14% swinging k rate, those are elite stats, not league average. Forget WHIP, ERA, etc., those results oriented stats aren't indicative of ability.

8 minutes ago, Neifi Perez said:

I have one son, he is 6. 

So only 6 or 7  years until Al Avila puts him in hiding.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, irvink said:

Franco is easily the best prospect in baseball. In a league of his own right now. There's no getting him.

dropped out of school in the 6th grade to play play baseball full time. If you want to know why the DR produces such an outsized proportion of the players in the MLB there is your reason. I really believe the kind of skills a great baseball player needs are based heavily on brain training. Learning to pick up rotation of a thrown ball, to integrate the path of a ball almost by instinct, to bring the bat the plane the ball is in, are things that the brain is going to learn better the younger it learns them because they all have to do with creating perceptual system connections that are much more plastic pre-adult and even pre-puberty. Allowing kids to drop out of school at 11 may be questionable social policy for the Dominican, but it works for MLB.

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/nypl-notes-connecticut-tigers-kingston-liniak-goes-extra-mile/c-308865712

By Craig Forde / Special to MiLB.com | July 9, 2019 11:00 AM

Kingston Liniak has a knack for tracking.

With swift speed, the Class A Short Season Connecticut Tigers outfielder prides himself on being able to track down anything hit to his quadrant of the field.

He has also begun tracking his at-bats, looking to maintain more consistent contact to the opposite side of the field, which has been working well through his first 11 New York-Penn League games.

"My main goal this year is to mentally be prepared all nine innings," the 30th-ranked Detroit prospect explained. "On the physical side, my goal is to hit most of the balls hard the other way. I have kept a log in my phone about how many hard-hit balls I have the other way. I want it to be more than 60% of my balls in play -- I want them to be hard line drives the other way.

Of his first 11 hits on the season, the right-handed hitting Liniak has put five to the left side, two up the middle and four to the right.

"It's looking good. I'm pulling a lot of balls. I'm still trying," he said with a slight chuckle.

While things continue to progress in the intended direction at the plate, it's been status quo on the defensive end. Primarily a center fielder, Liniak has been clean on the first 33 chances hit in his direction at all three outfield positions, something he strives to continue throughout the season.

"If I'm going to play center field, right field or left field, I'm going to put forth my best effort to give my pitcher a safety," said the 2018 fourth-rounder. "If a ball is going to be hit out there, I'm probably going to track it down. My goal this year is to not make any errors in the outfield whatsoever. You shouldn't. If it's a fly ball or a ground ball, you should be able to keep it in front."

A natural speedster, Liniak feels like he should get every ball hit his way and works diligently during batting practice at trying to see the ball off the bat better and getting better jumps.

"It all comes down to if you're willing to slide, dive, do what you need to do to try and get the ball," he said.

At 19 years old, the Mission Hills (California) High School standout is settling into his first full season as a professional ballplayer.

He is building a mental balance in having to play every day of the week, finding ways to put aside bad at-bats quickly and conserve energy and health throughout the course of the campaign.

"It's a big change going from only playing a couple of days a week in high school," Liniak said. "Even in the [Gulf Coast League] and extended [spring camp]. you get a couple of days off. Seven days a week is a little bit tougher, but I love it. I love being out on the ballfield every single day, taking BP, getting ready for a game and going out there at 7 o'clock every night. It's a great job."

Like most everything else with Liniak, that tracks.

13 minutes ago, Double D said:

Can someone check and see why Mize only lasted 2/3 of an inning!?

Lets hope they only wanted him to throw 30 pitches - he went out after 32 after walking two guys on 3-2 counts.

1 minute ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Lets hope they only wanted him to throw 30 pitches - he went out after 32 after walking two guys on 3-2 counts.

When al was in the both the other day he talked about a pitch count in his first game back