RatkoVarda

2019 Tiger Prospects

Which I'll counter with:

"I got to see him during the season and I'm really glad I did," said Owen, (about Skubal). "He's impressive. I really liked what I saw. A big guy with power, his fastball is plus, at times, he has a good curve, he has a good slider, he'll show you a changeup. It looks like he has the package. He's very composed and looked very confident on the mound."

And:

Scouting grades: Fastball: 60 | Curveball: 55 | Slider: 50 | Changeup: 45 | Control: 45 | Overall: 45

Tommy John surgery wiped out much of Skubal's 2016 and his entire 2017 season at Seattle University, but the D-backs still took a shot on him in that June's Draft, selecting him in the 29th round. He chose not to sign and returned to Seattle, where he had an uneven performance, especially with his control. The Tigers saw untapped potential in Skubal for that very same reason, and they went above slot to sign him for $350,000 after taking him in the ninth round.

The early returns have been positive, as Skubal posted a minuscule 0.40 ERA, 33/4 K/BB and .192 batting average against over 22 innings while ascending three Minor League levels to finish his pro debut with Class A West Michigan. The physical left-hander pitches with a 92-95 mph fastball and complements it with an above-average curveball and average slider. He'll also show a quality changeup even though he rarely threw it in college.

The Tigers were thrilled to get Skubal through the summer healthy and largely throwing strikes. He also impressed the organization with his confidence and composure on the mound. The thinking is that the Tigers will see what he can do as a starter, and he spent fall instructional league going through the same routines as first-rounder Casey Mize.

And (https://www.prospects1500.com/al-central/tigers/5-prospects-who-should-have-made-the-detroit-tigers-top-50/):

A southpaw that posses an athletic delivery, Skubal offers a 70 grade fastball that has a lot of run to it. He also throws a slider and change-up that have potential to be plus but currently are fringe selections.

He had a lot of trouble finding the strike zone as an amateur but impressed with his 33:4 K:BB ratio in his first year as a pro. After dropping in the draft because of TJ surgery, Skubal could end up being an absolute steal in the draft if he can maintain the control he showed in 2018. This will be a name to keep a very close eye on in 2019 as he could emerge as the top lefty in the entire system.

19 minutes ago, TigerNation said:

Hill 1-5.

Paredes 2-4.

Rogers 2-3 with 2 HRs and a BB.

I get the feeling the Tigers are putting all their eggs in one basket when it comes to the catcher position and it is Rogers or bust for the foreseeable future.  We really need that one to work out.  

6 minutes ago, Hart said:

I get the feeling the Tigers are putting all their eggs in one basket when it comes to the catcher position and it is Rogers or bust for the foreseeable future.  We really need that one to work out.  

A) Why? They have drafted a bunch of others high, recently

B) Catchers are really had to find

C) They could easily draft one this year in the first round with two in the top 8 or so prospects.

Just now, Keepleyland2 said:

C) They could easily draft one this year in the first round with two in the top 8 or so prospects.

Who else do we have that is good prospect?  I didn't know we had other good catching prospects in the system. 

5 minutes ago, Hart said:

Who else do we have that is good prospect?  I didn't know we had other good catching prospects in the system. 

How many other teams have two or three "good" catching prospects? Like two. 

We have rogers then we have guys like mcmillan, morgan and who ever we draft this year. Plus Griener is a rookie. Now will they be good? I dunno. But, to say they are putting all their eggs in the Rogers basket is inaccurate. If that was the case we wouldn't draft/sign/develop any of years. Much like we did with first base

5 minutes ago, Hart said:

We don't, but two years ago they went over slot to sign Sam McMillan out of HS. He has struggled mightily though, so it is pretty much just Rogers at this point. As Leyland said though, they could draft another C prospect in this draft. Rogers is all they have now, but it's doubtful they are just getting on him and not gonna try to add more to the system.

4 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

How many other teams have two or three "good" catching prospects? Like two. 

We have rogers then we have guys like mcmillan, morgan and who ever we draft this year. Plus Griener is a rookie. Now will they be good? I dunno. But, to say they are putting all their eggs in the Rogers basket is inaccurate. If that was the case we wouldn't draft/sign/develop any of years. Much like we did with first base

It's definitely hard to find a good catcher.  But I think a lot of teams explore the possibility of upgrading thru free agency and trade.  All I hear about with the Tigers organization is Jake Rogers.  I have never heard of those other guys you mentioned.  Maybe they are good prospects.  But my impression was the other catchers we have in our system are basically just roster fillers and long shots to ever make the big leagues.  

Greiner won't be good...but Rogers and McMillan have a shot.

On 4/15/2019 at 9:40 AM, chasfh said:

The Cubs also got pantsed on Gleyber-for-Chapman and, not for nothing, Candelario/Paredes-for-Wilson/Avila.

You can't pants them anymore, though, because they don't have that kind of depth to deal from. Plus they no longer have an incentive to kill off a goat. In fact, they did practically nothing in the offseason to keep themselves at the top of their division, so their own hands are on the window. Maybe they wouldn't mind backing into a division title this year, but they're probably not going all out to make it happen.

I don't know anyone else so desperate to deal top 30 prospects for guys like Matthew Boyd, even a 3-ish ERA Matthew Boyd.

has any gm given up more high end prospect talent for such a marginal return?

i understand the goat curse so the chapman deal is ok....i guess.  we'll never know if the yankees would have taken less than a top 3 prospect for a closer who was about to be a free agent...

but the other two deals were such massive overpays.  theo has been in sort of a slump since 2016.

On 4/15/2019 at 9:47 AM, chasfh said:

Quintana was way better than a slightly above average pitcher at the time of that deal. He was easily a top ten pitcher showing no signs of slowing down. His WAR from 2013-2017 was higher than everyone but Kershaw, Scherzer, Sale, Kluber and Price. Sure, some of that was because he was as durable as he was dominant, maybe a bit more, but durability has a good deal of value, too.

Ever since then, though, you're right: he is a slightly above average pitcher.

i think quintana was the very definition of a slightly above average starting pitcher.  his war is high because he is a durable slightly above average starting pitcher, not because he has killer stuff or blows people away.  he gets the job done and doesnt get hurt.  that's his value.

is that worth a top 3 and a top 50 prospect?  i guess to theo it does.

1 hour ago, Keepleyland2 said:

There's really only one, with Runtchsman (sp) a possibility to go #1 overall.  The 2nd, Shea Langeliers of Baylor, has struggled mightily this year, and doesn't look like a first round pick imo.

Edit: He's been injured, and BA has him going 17th overall in their latest mock.  I saw him play earlier in the year, and wasn't impressed at all with his bat.

This current major league roster is far from contending.  Might as well make these September call ups now.

9 hours ago, roarintiger1 said:

This current major league roster is far from contending.  Might as well make these September call ups now.

Why burn their time up then?  Wait until they are ready.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, roarintiger1 said:

Need to get a betting line on that...

June 24th = over/ under for dumping Harrison & Mercer (& one other roster spot) and calling up Lugo, Willi Castro, and Daz Cameron...

Not only that, if someone is appropriately challenged at AA, he should be at AA.

You don't put a person who is just starting Algebra class into Calculus on the premise he will learn more because he is being challenged more.

Same applies with developing athletes.

• Thanks 1

Mize continues to toy with these single A hitters. Seven innings of 1 hit ball tonight with 6ks. 

23 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Mize continues to toy with these single A hitters. Seven innings of 1 hit ball tonight with 6ks. 

and the game is 0-0 in the 9th. An A ball pitching epic!

edit: walkoff HR with 2 out in the 9th by the Lakeland catcher Austin Athmann. Who said we have no catching prospects after Rogers?

Manning OK at Erie. 4 2/3 IP, 8K 1 BB, 2ER. Erie up 5-2 in the 7th.

Mudhens lose a slug fest 7 to 8 but Cameron 2 for 5 and W. Castro 1 for 3 with 2 BB. 

53 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Manning OK at Erie. 4 2/3 IP, 8K 1 BB, 2ER. Erie up 5-2 in the 7th.

Mudhens lose a slug fest 7 to 8 but Cameron 2 for 5 and W. Castro 1 for 3 with 2 BB. 

G2 adds some hope for the future to depressing game threads.