RatkoVarda

2019 Tiger Prospects

Erie got rained out the entire weekend, West Michigan got rained out today, and Toledo got shutout. 

The game was postponed due to rain...thankfully no injury issue.

2 hours ago, kdog said:

Erie got rained out the entire weekend, West Michigan got rained out today, and Toledo got shutout. 

Lakeland rained out as well. 

4 hours ago, kdog said:

But did Daz have a good game?

On 4/6/2019 at 9:19 PM, tiger337 said:

I want them to develop an outstanding team which contends for many years.  They won't go farm only. I don't know if any team has ever done that.  

No one is 100% farm, but the 2013 pennant-winning Cardinals were 2/3 farm.

On 4/11/2019 at 1:22 PM, Tenacious D said:

That’s my entire point—look at what the White Sox received for selling high on Jose Quintana.

If he can maintain a 3.00 ERA and K/IP, he’ll be in demand by the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, etc...

or we can sit on him to give us innings during the next two rebuilding seasons and pray he doesn’t get hurt like Fulmer.

The Cubs also got pantsed on Gleyber-for-Chapman and, not for nothing, Candelario/Paredes-for-Wilson/Avila.

You can't pants them anymore, though, because they don't have that kind of depth to deal from. Plus they no longer have an incentive to kill off a goat. In fact, they did practically nothing in the offseason to keep themselves at the top of their division, so their own hands are on the window. Maybe they wouldn't mind backing into a division title this year, but they're probably not going all out to make it happen.

I don't know anyone else so desperate to deal top 30 prospects for guys like Matthew Boyd, even a 3-ish ERA Matthew Boyd.

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

The Cubs also got pantsed on Gleyber-for-Chapman and, not for nothing, Candelario/Paredes-for-Wilson/Avila.

You can't pants them anymore, though, because they don't have that kind of depth to deal from. Plus they no longer have a 

I don't know anyone else so desperate to deal top 30 prospects for guys like Matthew Boyd, even a 3-ish ERA Matthew Boyd.

I'm only saying we should be open to it if a team is willing to pay.  I'm also not averse to packaging him with a Greene and/or Casty if it nets players who we think can help us over the next 6 years.

On 4/11/2019 at 8:51 PM, Buddha said:

Quintana is a slightly above average pitcher.  There's no reason to believe that Matt Boyd couldn't be that too.

Quintana was way better than a slightly above average pitcher at the time of that deal. He was easily a top ten pitcher showing no signs of slowing down. His WAR from 2013-2017 was higher than everyone but Kershaw, Scherzer, Sale, Kluber and Price. Sure, some of that was because he was as durable as he was dominant, maybe a bit more, but durability has a good deal of value, too.

Ever since then, though, you're right: he is a slightly above average pitcher.

16 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I'm only saying we should be open to it if a team is willing to pay.  I'm also not averse to packaging him with a Greene and/or Casty if it nets players who we think can help us over the next 6 years.

Of course we should be open to it. I'm just suggesting that even if he does have an ERA around three on July 31, don't expect teams to be falling all over themselves offering the top of their farm systems for him. If we can walk away from a Boyd trade with even one Top 100 guy, preferably a position player, that'll be a big win.

Fingers crossed that we'll vet the return properly. That's not necessarily a fait accompli.

10 minutes ago, chasfh said:

It's unfortunate teams don't seem to get as desperate at the deadline as they once did.....but we can hope.

6 hours ago, chasfh said:

Of course we should be open to it. I'm just suggesting that even if he does have an ERA around three on July 31, don't expect teams to be falling all over themselves offering the top of their farm systems for him. If we can walk away from a Boyd trade with even one Top 100 guy, preferably a position player, that'll be a big win.

Fingers crossed that we'll vet the return properly. That's not necessarily a fait accompli.

I agree with this.  With more teams tanking, it could be a buyers market.  Not sure how the firm 7/31 deadline will impact things this year.

44 minutes ago, kdog said:

Think I read that he had Tommy John—maybe that impacted his draft position?  He does look good and may move quickly.

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I agree with this.  With more teams tanking, it could be a buyers market.  Not sure how the firm 7/31 deadline will impact things this year.

The buyers market aspect is something I wasn’t even thinking of when I wrote that post, but yeah, that’s definitely a complicating factor for our chances to flip talent in July.

Deathrage 2/4 with a steal in support of Skubal's outing.

Nothing notable in Whitecaps loss. 

Hill and Gibson with HRs in 9-6 Erie win. Rogers 2/3 with a walk.

Carpenter gives up 6 in 6 IP, Toledo goes down 9-1. Willie Castro with a triple and Cameron with a double in the losing cause.

Small sample size, but Dawel Lugo is  .350 /.435 /.575 with 5 walks in 11 games. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Tarik Skubal doesn't have a MLB name.

Trade him now.

Unless he learns a screwball.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Tarik Skubal doesn't have a MLB name.

Trade him now.

It's an A+ name, the Tigers need more weird name guys. That will get us through the dark times

15 minutes ago, tigerbomb13 said:

Is Skubal a legit prospect?

I’ve heard his name before. So, yes. 

I've read he was a legit 1st/2nd round arm, had TJ surgery, came back and couldn't throw strikes. He dropped as a result and the Tigers took a flier. He's a lefty that runs it up to 97.

A guy in my fantasy league drafted him and i had no idea who he was. I originally thought he wasn't in Detroit's system and he put the wrong team down. First time somebody drafted a Tiger minor leaguer i had never heard of.

1 hour ago, tigerbomb13 said:

Is Skubal a legit prospect?

The Tigers thought they got a huge steal due to the issues noted above...

He definitely has a baseball name.

If he develops a Skubal Screwball it's a done deal. (Kudos to Walewander...!)

• Like 1