RatkoVarda

2019 Tiger Prospects

8 hours ago, Yoda said:

Because of a bad month? Cool. 

Not at all.  More inconsistent than anything.   Seeming very streaky.   I hope he figures it out but doubt is creeping in.   He had the same issue at Erie last year, then came back hot and got his promotion.   

Rogers biggest strength is defense... his hit tool always has been the biggest question and maybe he will just be an ok. That’s better than what they have in the majors.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

Great outing.

He'll be here when we need a fifth starter. We currently have a nine man BP. Nine men. 9.

And, oh yeah. Big Joe's gotta go.

Time to turn the bullpen. We have the arms. Let's go!

3 hours ago, Casimir said:

I am going to make up this arbitrary fact based on a number that I am going to go with out of pure guessjectiveness.  Catchers have an additional 16% growth curve to overcome as the progress through the organization level by level due to needing to pick up on the new pitching staff even if said catcher has previously caught those pitchers.

I would have said 19%, but we’re probably splitting hairs.

Jimmy Kerr is smoking hot at the right time, during the University of Michigan's run to a national championship. The announcers were even amazed the senior 1st baseman was a 33rd round pick. The kid looks like he has a nice left handed swing. And as they tried to explain during the game, college players make it to the majors much faster than high school players. Hopefully, he was a steal by Detroit in such a late round.

Jim Leyland was on the pregame with Dan Dickerson before Friday night's game, and he made some very strong points.  He's not a fan of players who are versatile, he prefers players to have a position and be good at that position.  He doesn't think that Willi Castro is a major league SS, but a major league 2b maybe.  He said the Tigers have some solid players like Cameron and Rogers, but no stars.

6 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

he prefers players to have a position and be good at that position

what does that even mean in baseball?  If you are a great defensive outfielder, you have at least 3 positions. If you are a great defensive infielder, you have at least three. Show me any good 3b who can't play 1st well. All Jim is really saying that he prefers bats over gloves, which is fine but that is what he really should say if he were honest.

13 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

Jim Leyland was on the pregame with Dan Dickerson before Friday night's game, and he made some very strong points.  He's not a fan of players who are versatile, he prefers players to have a position and be good at that position.  He doesn't think that Willi Castro is a major league SS, but a major league 2b maybe.  He said the Tigers have some solid players like Cameron and Rogers, but no stars.

Jim may get a call today from the Tiger’s VP of Public Relations.

He's right about the "solid (position) players but no stars" comment. Have to hope this draft and next bring in a couple

21 minutes ago, leflore said:

He's right about the "solid (position) players but no stars" comment. Have to hope this draft and next bring in a couple

Yes, so we can develop them and use them as trade bait for prospects who we can develop and use as trade bait....repeat and rinse. Welcome to the new and improved Tiger organization.  They may not win but they make money. Hooray.

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I would have said 19%, but we’re probably splitting hairs.

Let's call it that and agree in principle.

What other world problems should we attack?

2 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

I can see an angle about concentrating about one particular defensive position as opposed to bouncing everybody all over the place.  And I can understand a rationale about not all guys can be moved around.  But I don't buy not having versatility when you can.  Heck, we tried Marcus Thames out at 1B on order to get his bat in the lineup more often.  He tried Alex Avila at 3B once.

I don't think anyone is shocked about the Tiger position prospects.

2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

what does that even mean in baseball?  If you are a great defensive outfielder, you have at least 3 positions. If you are a great defensive infielder, you have at least three. Show me any good 3b who can't play 1st well. All Jim is really saying that he prefers bats over gloves, which is fine but that is what he really should say if he were honest.

Carlos Guillen.  What did I win?

59 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Carlos Guillen.  What did I win?

OK, you win, but on a technicality. By the time Carlos got to 1st he couldn't play anywhere!

:P

ListenEd to the most recent BA podcast. One of the hosts was raving about Mize (sounds like he's ranked 5 or 6) and Manning (top 30). he said Manning is underrated bc of Mize, but has an even higher upside as a legit ace. He said that when Manning's best stuff is working, it's literally unhittable. 

8 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

Jim hasn't watched the way some teams like the Cubs and Dodgers have thrived with versatility.

Who was Don Kelly, Jim? Chopped Liver?

Jim was also really set on his lineup spots. When Cabby got hurt Clete Thomas batted third. Repeatedly. That may keep Jim out of the hall.

7 minutes ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

Who was Don Kelly, Jim? Chopped Liver?

Jim was also really set on his lineup spots. When Cabby got hurt Clete Thomas batted third. Repeatedly. That may keep Jim out of the hall.

Leyland was a mixed bag -  like most people.  Jim did manage his front line players like they were made of glass. That probably worked for a lot of them, maybe it was a waste and overkill for some of the others. He protected starting pitchers though, and we will never know how huge that may have been for Verlander, Porcello and Scherzer's careers.

21 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Leyland was a mixed bag -  like most people.  Jim did manage his front line players like they were made of glass. That probably worked for a lot of them, maybe it was a waste and overkill for some of the others. He protected starting pitchers though, and we will never know how huge that may have been for Verlander, Porcello and Scherzer's careers.

Not sure you can say that. Ver led the league in IP's 3 times. 

And I still can't believe that Max was not allowed to start opening day after he won the Cy Young.

51 minutes ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

Who was Don Kelly, Jim? Chopped liver?

yes.

7 minutes ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

Not sure you can say that. Ver led the league in IP's 3 times. 

And I still can't believe that Max was not allowed to start opening day after he won the Cy Young.

I think for JV that was still being protected. (With JV the rest of the world is not a good comp anyway), its what he did vs what he would have always tried to do if allowed. Jim still took him out of games in situations I think other managers would have let him pitch longer in - and he took a fair amount of flak over it.

2 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I think for JV that was still being protected. (With JV the rest of the world is not a good comp anyway), its what he did vs what he would have always tried to do if allowed. Jim still took him out of games in situations I think other managers would have let him pitch longer in - and he took a fair amount of flak over it.

Verlander was regularly racking up pitch counts of 120+. I think Jim left him in a lot longer than other managers would have.

Lakeland takes out Charlotte 9-6. Clemens 2/5 3B, Policelli HR, and YES Deatherage 1/5 2B to extend his streak to 15 games.

Erie shuts out Akron 2-0. Burrows(W1-0) 5IP, 2H, 0R, 2BB, 3K. (81 pitches)
Szkutnik 2 clean in relief. Eaves with 8th HR.

WM falls 5-2. Quintana 1/3 R, BB(3rd in 3 games). Bojarsky 2/4, 3B.

Toledo shuts out Rochester 2-0. Alexander(W2-8) 7IP, 2H, 0R, 2BB, 12K!. Reyes 2/4 (10game hit streak). Cameron 2b,

Nice to see Clemens continue an extended hot streak. And that's great to see Burrows rebounding. Looking more like the early struggles this year were injury related

With Rogers he has shown some pop at most levels including aaa. If he can hit .230 with 18-22 dingers in Det, with his D I'd be happy. Maybe he should start eating froot loops

Leyland held him under 100 pitches average per start in 2006. That went to 107 in 2008, 112 in 2009, 113 in 2010, and finally 116 in 2011, and 115 in 2012. So in his 1st two seasons JL held him back some from what he allowed him later.  Of course if JV had come up today they might have held him to 100 every start - which might have made his career look a lot different. You have to wonder what kind of changes he might have tried to make out of frustration to stay in games longer. Would they have turned out to be ill-advised in the long run, or not?

• Like 1