RatkoVarda

2019 Tiger Prospects

On 6/14/2019 at 7:30 PM, Tenacious D said:

Of course there is concern, but there was also a lot of medical opinions and “I told you so’” last night on Twitter.  All of a sudden everyone suggested that they “saw this coming” when most of the “experts” on Twitter just regurgitate things that others have posted.

Ah, I gotcha. 

On 6/14/2019 at 10:15 PM, Yoda said:

This is just a weird mindset to me. He's the top pitching prospect in baseball. It looked like he couldn't even move his arm last night in the video. You'd have to be stupid to not be concerned. I guess you weren't and you're totally owning them now? 

For what it's worth. Inflammation is never good. It can also hide injuries. He is in no way out of the woods simply because they don't see an injury yet. It can also mean that one is coming. 

yeah, I am still concerned.  Anything that happens to a pitcher's throwing shoulder is a concern.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Having lived through Greisinger, Anderson, Baugh and Sleeth, who were all first round no-brainers that blew up, I tend to be in the paranoid camp re: Mize and Perez.  

He faked the injury so he can't get called up to this garbage team - my new theory that i'm gonna tweet @emily waldon and company until they block me

Beau Burrows is coming off the IL to do a rehab start for Lakeland.

11 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

This is a depressing update:

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2019/04/15/2019-detroit-tigers-top-prospects-statistics/3355619002/Tigers top prospects: How they're performing in minors

There are some bright spots.  We do have few guys who despite struggling are managing very good K/BB ratios in Clemens,  Meadows and Paredes . Wencel Perez doesn't K (2 in his last 40 AB) but he doesn't walk either. Deatherage has the more typically poor K/BB ratio but may be the hottest hitting of the prospects right now - 302 over a 9 game hitting streak. Rogers' bat has taken step sideways with the promotion to AAA but that's not unusual - and too soon to worry about. And of course W. Castro is tearing it up.

But I imagine the first bats we will see will be the rest of the minor league signings - Peterson again, Schwindel (H.Castro already called up). And Reyes - though he still has to figure out a way to take the occasional walk (hitting 450 in his last 40 AB but NO walks - pretty nutty)

23 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

There are some bright spots.  We do have few guys who despite struggling are managing very good K/BB ratios in Clemens,  Meadows and Paredes . Wencel Perez doesn't K (2 in his last 40 AB) but he doesn't walk either. Deatherage has the more typically poor K/BB ratio but may be the hottest hitting of the prospects right now - 302 over a 9 game hitting streak. Rogers' bat has taken step sideways with the promotion to AAA but that's not unusual - and too soon to worry about. And of course W. Castro is tearing it up.

But I imagine the first bats we will see will be the rest of the minor league signings - Peterson again, Schwindel (H.Castro already called up). And Reyes - though he still has to figure out a way to take the occasional walk (hitting 450 in his last 40 AB but NO walks - pretty nutty)

Yeah, there are some bats with promise. Paredes is hitting pretty well for a 20 yr old in AA, just lacking some power. Hopefully, that comes around in 2nd half.

Meadows is still young, was always seen as raw. Would like to see some more production and again, hopefully will in 2nd half. 

Daz has been up and down. I hope he manages to pick it up in the 2nd half, as he has done most of his last 3 years.

There really has not been a breakout bat, outside of W. Castro. And that, combined with injuries to Mize, Perez, Burrows and Funk... it's been a really underwhelming season for the prospects.  All we can do is hope for some better 2nd halfs, and some encouraging starts from the recent draft picks. And maybe some good returns in the july deals. 

Burrows at StLucie for Lakeland. 4ip, 1H, 0R, 2BB, 5K. 59 pitches(34 strikes)

Clemens with 2 hits and Deatherage extends his hit streak to 10. Unfortunately Foley got hammered after Beau left the scene and it's 5-1 StLucie in the 6th. (EDIT: ends 6-1)

For Erie Shore gives up his usual run per inning - OK tonight 4 in 4.2. Erie falls 6-3, Only 5 hits, no-one had >1.

Toledo, WM DNP.

Skubal continues to get some love. He was mentioned as a hot prospect on BA recently 

1 minute ago, leflore said:

Skubal continues to get some love. He was mentioned as a hot prospect on BA recently 

They also noted that his pitching was pretty good, too.

Yes they did. I keep waiting to see some mention of Bojarski. His production is noteworthy. I didn't even know who he was until this year

3 hours ago, leflore said:

Yes they did. I keep waiting to see some mention of Bojarski. His production is noteworthy. I didn't even know who he was until this year

Sounds like the Tigers version of Kepler.

RHP Franklin Perez has been activated from the Single A Lakeland injured list and is scheduled to start tonight at St. Lucie.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Hoping Perez comes back makes me feel a little like Linus waiting for the great pumpkin

2nd half dreams that don't quite seem like fantasies...

Mize comes back healthy.

Perez finishes the year in AA without any further injuries.

Burrows stays healthy and holds his own when called to Detroit.

One of Meadows/Weencel breaks out in 2nd half.

Paredes finds his power stroke.

Daz has his usual 2nd half surge.

1 hour ago, irvink said:

2nd half dreams that don't quite seem like fantasies...

Mize comes back healthy.

Perez finishes the year in AA without any further injuries.

Burrows stays healthy and holds his own when called to Detroit.

One of Meadows/Weencel breaks out in 2nd half.

Paredes finds his power stroke.

Daz has his usual 2nd half surge.

Victor Reyes draws a walk.

Skubal called up to Erie, continues dominance

#Deathrage and Clemons find their power.

Dreaming that Manning-Mize-Faedo-Perez-Skubal is the healthy rotation at Erie for all of August

• Like 1

I like the optimism. There are days I get lost in the gloom of the current team and replay the Randy Smith era in my mind. And the day Ron LeFlore got traded. And the day Bo let Ernie go. And Big Papi's grand slam. All games that Pelfry pitched. When dish network dropped ESPN classic. The day I got my satan cat. Things of this nature. Positive framing helps. I thank you all.

• Like 1

Perez threw 12 pitches in the 1st, his arm did not fall off, but more importantly, Brock extends his hitting streak in his 1st AB with a single - then promptly gets a CS.

Perez is through 3 innings without dying.  Maybe they finally smartened up and sent him out there in a bubble.