Jump to content

RatkoVarda

2019 Tiger Prospects

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, kdog said:

Burrows at Toledo: 6.1 IP, 3 Hits, 0 Runs, 5K

Now do Faedo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

I mean... it only takes one GM to make a ridiculous offer for Boyd that "we can't refuse". I get that. And if it happens, I don't refuse.

But Quintana had a 5-year history of being a top Lefty in MLB... I think that counts for something. It builds up a head of steam of demand/ interest/ out-bidding/ over-bidding potential. That's part of the reason Quintana pulled in such a big return.

Boyd has less than a year of top-line pitching, if you start post All-Star from last year ... It's not enough of a track record to build up demand. Or a belief that he can sustain this. If I'm a GM, I'm thinking mirage or one-year wonder potential... I'm not offering a top prospect for Boyd... but that's just me.

Again... it only takes one GM...

Quintana was also further into his contract, so there's trade off.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quintana is a slightly above average pitcher.  There's no reason to believe that Matt Boyd couldn't be that too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shelton said:

It’s predatory and his agents sold him up the river to ensure their cut. 

I won't argue the fact that he should have, could have, might have gotten more.   My point still stands, how many would really walk away from $45M in real life vs hypotheticals?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Quintana is a slightly above average pitcher.  There's no reason to believe that Matt Boyd couldn't be that too.

Quintana's previous 5 yrs were better than Boyd's - he had more established buzz around the league than Boyd could possible build in one good season. Which is not to say you couldn't make a nice trade for him, but I don't think Quintana is a particularly good comp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Quintana's previous 5 yrs were better than Boyd's - he had more established buzz around the league than Boyd could possible build in one good season. Which is not to say you couldn't make a nice trade for him, but I don't think Quintana is a particularly good comp.

My point is that there is no reason Matt Boyd can't develop into Jose Quintana.  I don't think Quintana is all that special, to be honest.  He had some good years with the Sox, but his attractiveness was because he was above average, durable, and cheap.  Boyd would need to keep at his current level for a couple years before he reaches that level of durability and above-averageness.

If Matt Boyd continues to strike people out at the rate he's doing so far, there isn't any reason Detroit should trade him unless someone offers them an A+ prospect.  And if he does that, he'll be better than Quintana.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And I find it hard to believe a team can fleece the Cubs like the Sox did when they got Quintana.

And yes, I'm still pissed they got a better deal for Quintana than we got for Verlander, who is a much more talented pitcher than Quintana.  Damn you Theo!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Buddha said:

Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz...

well, for the metaphor to be better Perez would have to turn into Smoltz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Buddha said:

My point is that there is no reason Matt Boyd can't develop into Jose Quintana.  I don't think Quintana is all that special, to be honest.  He had some good years with the Sox, but his attractiveness was because he was above average, durable, and cheap.  Boyd would need to keep at his current level for a couple years before he reaches that level of durability and above-averageness.

If Matt Boyd continues to strike people out at the rate he's doing so far, there isn't any reason Detroit should trade him unless someone offers them an A+ prospect.  And if he does that, he'll be better than Quintana.

I agree with this on several counts...:

1) I also believe Boyd can be better than Quintana.

2) I also don't believe we should trade him unless we get back an A+ offer. I'm not interested in another Dawel Lugo.

Additionally

3) Like Lee said above, Boyd still has control, unlike Quintana when he was traded, so maybe a GM values that control versus proven track record enough to offer an A+ prospect... I just have my doubts on that point.

4) Therefore, if we don't get an A+ offer, I'd rather Boyd pitch for the Tigers in 2019 and 2020. Better #'s than Quintana. Which leads me to more questions: If Boyd stays healthy, pitches at or slightly above Quintana-level, does he have more trade value offseason 2020 than today? Is that a better time to make a Boyd trade, team timeline-wise? That's assuming Mize & Manning have established themselves. Possibly Burrows, Faedo and/or Perez also. With several other pitchers pushing for spots as well... (Turnbull still here, Funkhauser, Skubal, maybe even some dark horses like Elvin Rodriguez...). Perfect time to find a blocked huge-bat 1st baseman a GM is willing to trade for Boyd...

Bottom line is I'd like to see Boyd have a couple good years with the Tigers, this year and next, and explore trading him offseason 2020 to make room for next-generation...

Unless we get an A+ offer that is...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

I agree with this on several counts...:

1) I also believe Boyd can be better than Quintana.

2) I also don't believe we should trade him unless we get back an A+ offer. I'm not interested in another Dawel Lugo.

Additionally

3) Like Lee said above, Boyd still has control, unlike Quintana when he was traded, so maybe a GM values that control versus proven track record enough to offer an A+ prospect... I just have my doubts on that point.

 4) Therefore, if we don't get an A+ offer, I'd rather Boyd pitch for the Tigers in 2019 and 2020. Better #'s than Quintana. Which leads me to more questions: If Boyd stays healthy, pitches at or slightly above Quintana-level, does he have more trade value offseason 2020 than today? Is that a better time to make a Boyd trade, team timeline-wise? That's assuming Mize & Manning have established themselves. Possibly Burrows, Faedo and/or Perez also. With several other pitchers pushing for spots as well... (Turnbull still here, Funkhauser, Skubal, maybe even some dark horses like Elvin Rodriguez...). Perfect time to find a blocked huge-bat 1st baseman a GM is willing to trade for Boyd...

Bottom line is I'd like to see Boyd have a couple good years with the Tigers, this year and next, and explore trading him offseason 2020 to make room for next-generation...

Unless we get an A+ offer that is...

Quintana was attractive to the Cubs in 2017 because he was signed to a team friendly deal through 2020. That's why they gave up a lot. Boyd is probably cheaper but maybe not if he goes full arb:

Quintana is just 28 years old and will remain under the Cubs’ control through 2020. His extension includes a $8.85MM guarantee for 2018 and successive options ($10.5MM and $11MM, respectively) for the ensuing two years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

I agree with this on several counts...:

1) I also believe Boyd can be better than Quintana.

2) I also don't believe we should trade him unless we get back an A+ offer. I'm not interested in another Dawel Lugo.

Additionally

3) Like Lee said above, Boyd still has control, unlike Quintana when he was traded, so maybe a GM values that control versus proven track record enough to offer an A+ prospect... I just have my doubts on that point.

4) Therefore, if we don't get an A+ offer, I'd rather Boyd pitch for the Tigers in 2019 and 2020. Better #'s than Quintana. Which leads me to more questions: If Boyd stays healthy, pitches at or slightly above Quintana-level, does he have more trade value offseason 2020 than today? Is that a better time to make a Boyd trade, team timeline-wise? That's assuming Mize & Manning have established themselves. Possibly Burrows, Faedo and/or Perez also. With several other pitchers pushing for spots as well... (Turnbull still here, Funkhauser, Skubal, maybe even some dark horses like Elvin Rodriguez...). Perfect time to find a blocked huge-bat 1st baseman a GM is willing to trade for Boyd...

Bottom line is I'd like to see Boyd have a couple good years with the Tigers, this year and next, and explore trading him offseason 2020 to make room for next-generation...

Unless we get an A+ offer that is...

I don't think anyone would be on board with getting anything less than elite prospect in a deal.  The Logan Shores/Grayson Longs/Dawel Lugo trade return era is hopefully over.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I heard he was touching your mother

Andrew Dice Clay takes drag on cigarette.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kdog said:

Quintana was attractive to the Cubs in 2017 because he was signed to a team friendly deal through 2020. That's why they gave up a lot. Boyd is probably cheaper but maybe not if he goes full arb:

Quintana is just 28 years old and will remain under the Cubs’ control through 2020. His extension includes a $8.85MM guarantee for 2018 and successive options ($10.5MM and $11MM, respectively) for the ensuing two years.

Oh yeah... I forgot about that part...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not much of a night on the farm. Erie was rained out, Lakeland was 2 hit, the Mudhens lost, striking out 14 times. Big night for Lugo though -  the only hitter not to K, homered and tripled (though also an error). Castro with a double, Reyes with one hit. Whitecaps also lost, despite Parker Meadows HR and Wencel Perez 2 for 4 with a double.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      96,730
    • Total Posts
      2,933,128
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×
×
  • Create New...