RatkoVarda

2019 Tiger Prospects

If you're not trading Boyd, you sign him to a team friendly extension and at least get some cost certainty for him. 

2 minutes ago, kdog said:

If you're not trading Boyd, you sign him to a team friendly extension and at least get some cost certainty for him. 

Why would boyd sign a team friendly deal?

Just now, Shelton said:

Why would boyd sign a team friendly deal?

When was the last time a player in baseball didn't? Every single one signed this spring has been a win for ownership.

9 minutes ago, irvink said:

Agree. I would not deal Boyd for depth prospects, which is why I thought he'd be a hard one to trade. You typically don't get high end prospects for back of the rotation guys. If he continues to look like more than that, Avila could do well flipping him at the deadline. 

Greene has the chance to bring back something good too if he continues at anything near his current pace. 1.5 seasons of Justin Wilson (+ a couple months of Alex Avila) brought back the best trade return of the Avila regime so far.

That's the flip side to me...

I don't know that I would disagree with getting a high-ceiling prospect for Boyd... I mean, in deciding whether to trade him or not. You'd almost have to...

But... I'm not certain that he gets as high an upside prospect as trading Ross or Greene. I'm hoping, and believe, Greene commands a huge return at the deadline. Even if another player (Moore/ Mercer/ Harrison) is added in order to swing the deal. The same thing with Ross, but at a lesser extent.

If you trade Greene (+ another player, if needed) for a high-impact prospect, and Ross for a depth or better prospect... why not hold onto Boyd because we still need "someone" to pitch...?

And I don't think Boyd commands a high-end prospect either... I guess is my point.

Teams will overpay for a shut-down reliever. But a mid-to-back-end rotation starter...? Even though Boyd is pitching really well...

I don't see a team that will do that...

Boyd right now doesn’t get you a top prospect in return. 

Boyd with an era in low 3s at the end of July and peripheral stats to match just might. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

And I don't think Boyd commands a high-end prospect either... I guess is my point.

Teams will overpay for a shut-down reliever. But a mid-to-back-end rotation starter...? Even though Boyd is pitching really well...

I don't see a team that will do that...

I agree for the most part. The only way a higher end guy is coming back is if Boyd continues at or near his current pace for the next 3 months.

3 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Boyd with an era in low 3s at the end of July and peripheral stats to match just might. 

Excellent post. Love dreaming on Boyd.

8 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I think you are probably correct, but he did finish 2018 awfully well.  Buyers can come after him in May/June saying that he still hasn't proven this for a season, but the Tigers could come back and say he has been doing this for a year.  Of course, all that needs to happen is for Boyd to keep pitching like this.

When does the revised trade deadline take place?  Is that this season?  It might be interesting to see how that might affect things.

37 minutes ago, kdog said:

When was the last time a player in baseball didn't? Every single one signed this spring has been a win for ownership.

Maybe, maybe not. But it does raise the question of why those individual players signed those extensions. Maybe they aren’t as team friendly as they appear. There are a lot of factors to consider. 

Maybe it’s just semantics, but for the most part when players and teams agree on an extension, each side is exposed to a level of risk, so it’s hard to define a deal as team friendly just because it looks good if a player plays at a high level over the course of the deal. 

56 minutes ago, Shelton said:

That’s my entire point—look at what the White Sox received for selling high on Jose Quintana.

If he can maintain a 3.00 ERA and K/IP, he’ll be in demand by the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, etc...

or we can sit on him to give us innings during the next two rebuilding seasons and pray he doesn’t get hurt like Fulmer.

18 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Matt Boyd is not Jose Quintana.

Rly?

Another huge ownership win with the Ozzie Albies/Braves deal:

The Braves continued to lock up their core pieces Thursday, announcing a contract extension with second baseman Ozzie Albies that’ll guarantee the 22-year-old a total of $35MM from 2019-25. The contract includes a pair of club options reportedly valued at $7MM apiece, each of which has a $4MM buyout. If both are exercised, Albies will earn a mere $45MM over the next nine seasons — four of which would have been free-agent years.

Big day for Parker Meadows at WM: 3 Hits, 1 double, 1BB.

21 minutes ago, kdog said:

Another huge ownership win with the Ozzie Albies/Braves deal:

Timely, given our discussion. 

I think it’s worth noting that this deal isn’t even just a team friendly deal, but the type of deal that has been entirely panned by almost everyone and described as the worst player contract in history.  

14 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Timely, given our discussion. 

I think it’s worth noting that this deal isn’t even just a team friendly deal, but the type of deal that has been entirely panned by almost everyone and described as the worst player contract in history.  

Panned by everyone except that guy that now has $45M guaranteed in his pocket in a very fickle business.   I wonder how many of the critics would stare at that money and walk away?  You're one sprinkler head away from struggling or your family is set for life.   For me it would be an easy choice - and if things go well he can cash in at least once more.

1 hour ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Matt Boyd is not Jose Quintana.

Why not?  He hasn't been but if he builds on last year's second half with another strong half, he could be.  

5 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Panned by everyone except that guy that now has $45M guaranteed in his pocket in a very fickle business.   I wonder how many of the critics would stare at that money and walk away?  You're one sprinkler head away from struggling or your family is set for life.   For me it would be an easy choice - and if things go well he can cash in at least once more.

It’s predatory and his agents sold him up the river to ensure their cut. 

If I’m castellanos, I’m firing those guys tonight. 

Just now, tiger337 said:

Why not?  He hasn't been but if he builds on last year's second half with another strong half, he could be.  

I mean... it only takes one GM to make a ridiculous offer for Boyd that "we can't refuse". I get that. And if it happens, I don't refuse.

But Quintana had a 5-year history of being a top Lefty in MLB... I think that counts for something. It builds up a head of steam of demand/ interest/ out-bidding/ over-bidding potential. That's part of the reason Quintana pulled in such a big return.

Boyd has less than a year of top-line pitching, if you start post All-Star from last year ... It's not enough of a track record to build up demand. Or a belief that he can sustain this. If I'm a GM, I'm thinking mirage or one-year wonder potential... I'm not offering a top prospect for Boyd... but that's just me.

Again... it only takes one GM...

Faedo with another encouraging start:

6 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 8 Ks. 97 pitches, 68 strikes, 14 swinging strikes.

The Albies deal is beyond the pale on team friendliness. I would point to most of the non Arenado/Trout deals(Bogaerts, Sale, Carpenter, Acuna, etc)

Burrows at Toledo: 6.1 IP, 3 Hits, 0 Runs, 5K