RatkoVarda

2019 Tiger Prospects

5 hours ago, Shelton said:

He looks like a young Jacob Turner. 

That's had a few turns on The Rack.

so Faedo's 12 Ks was the most for a Seawolves' pitcher since 2006. But therein lies a cautionary tale. That pitcher was Humberto Sanchez, the Tigers top prospect in 2006 after the promotions of Verlander and Zumaya (curiously enough his catcher in that game was Mike Rabelo, current Seawolves' manager - but I digress). Sanchez went to the Yankees for Sheffield. Sanchez needed TJ, and was one of the unfortunate percentage who was never able to come back to 100% after it (apparently there were some other injuries as well). The sum total of his MLB career was two appearances for the Yankees in 2008. He bounced around the Mexican leagues after that but never sniffed the majors again.

1 minute ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

I remember him as Humberto.

by Jove, I think one of the B's that should have been in my post must have buzzed away....

Speaking of Sheffield (who I go long periods of time without thinking of) — are we looking back at his tenure in a Tigers uniform as a disappointment?

I seem to have some faint memory of him hitting a historic homer at Comerica (then again, I could be off base with that). For the record, I look back at Sheff’s era in the D as a disappointment — despite technically “winning” the trade. 

I look back at that 2007 season as a disappointment.      Maggs and Granderson put up two MVP caliber season to go along with a bunch of other good seasons from guys and we still missed the playoffs.  Iirc it started to go downhill after Bonderman got hurt. 

Hugh Smith had his second outing with West Michigan, going 5 innings, 76 pitches, 1ER, 4 hits, 2 BB, and 7 K's.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, The Word Is Bird said:

Speaking of Sheffield (who I go long periods of time without thinking of) — are we looking back at his tenure in a Tigers uniform as a disappointment?

I seem to have some faint memory of him hitting a historic homer at Comerica (then again, I could be off base with that). For the record, I look back at Sheff’s era in the D as a disappointment — despite technically “winning” the trade. 

It was a perfect example of the kind of trading that produced today's mess though. Unless they had reason to know Sanchez was going to need TJ *and* not recover well from it (i.e. they could NOT know) , trading arguably the best pitching prospect in your system for a *38* yr old headcase *DH* is pretty much daylight madness.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I look back at that 2007 season as a disappointment.      Maggs and Granderson put up two MVP caliber season to go along with a bunch of other good seasons from guys and we still missed the playoffs.  Iirc it started to go downhill after Bonderman got hurt. 

I know most fans don't view it that way, but I saw 2007 as a fun season because of the individual achievements of Granderson and Ordonez.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

It was a perfect example of the kind of trading that produced today's mess though. Unless they had reason to know Sanchez was going to need TJ *and* not recover well from it (i.e. they could NOT know) , trading arguably the best pitching prospect in your system for a *38* yr old headcase *DH* is pretty much daylight madness.

That's a bit of revisionist history. Sanchez had dealt with injury/durability concerns his entire minor league career, was considerably overweight throughout, and profiled best in the bullpen. You trade that dude everyday. 

It was a fun season for a number of reasons but still ultimately disappointing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shelton said:

It was a fun season for a number of reasons but still ultimately disappointing. 

Maybe at the time (I forget), but now I remember Granderson's and Ordonez's seasons more than I remember them missing the playoffs that year.  2008 was disappointing in every way.  

1 hour ago, Microline133 said:

That's a bit of revisionist history. Sanchez had dealt with injury/durability concerns his entire minor league career, was considerably overweight throughout, and profiled best in the bullpen. You trade that dude everyday. 

regardless of any of that  - maybe trade yes, but to trade anyone with a arm and a pulse for a 38 yr DH is ridiculous, was ridiculous at the time, is still ridiculous 15 yrs later. Sheffield wasn't worth Claggett and Whelan. Check that, Sheffield wasn't even worth the 13 million we took the Yankees off the hook for. Almost as ridiculous as signing a 39 yr old reliever coming off TJ and expecting....anything.  Jeez, I have to stop remembering how inept this franchise was or I'll be on Diovan next.

9 hours ago, apabruce said:

Hugh Smith had his second outing with West Michigan, going 5 innings, 76 pitches, 1ER, 4 hits, 2 BB, and 7 K's.

6 foot 10 inch Hugh Smith.

I believe they had the best record in MLB at the ASB...

It was disappointing in the sense that they couldn't build off of 2006.  2008 was far worse because we made the Cabrera trade and somehow it seems like we took a step back.

9 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Jeez, I have to stop remembering how inept this franchise was or I'll be on Diovan next.

If you need to talk about it we'll be here for you.

Sheffield was performing great up until his fluke injury in the OF.  I have no issue with that trade and extension.

57 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Sheffield was performing great up until his fluke injury in the OF.  I have no issue with that trade and extension.

Was hitting .290/.397/.522 up until that point.

And if you take out his awful April he was hitting .316/.406/.585 with 21 HRs in 75 games.

Just now, TigerNation said:

Was hitting .290/.397/.522 up until that point.

betting on any player to have another good year at that age is about a 1/1000 shot. You have to play the odds to win long term. To bet on a David Ortiz is to bet on a once in the history of the ML occurrence - that is much. much worse than the odds of any fat pitcher eventually having value. How many people here thought Kinsler would "bounce back" in 2018 because he had been good the yr before? He did not. One thing your confidence gets more and more secure in as you get older are the actuarial tables. 

15 hours ago, The Word Is Bird said:

I enjoyed Sheff while he was here - he hit some homers and stole some bases out of nowhere, and he had that fun confrontation with Fausto Carmona. If he wouldn't have gotten hurt, I think some things may have gone differently.

I forgot that Sheff was that good in 2007, maybe his terrible April skewed my memory of him but I remember him as a bust but obviously that wasn't the case.

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

betting on any player to have another good year at that age is about a 1/1000 shot.

Steroids made it a 1/3 shot.

• Like 1

I learned to appreciate Sheffield when he was here.... as far as how good of a hitter he was.  He and peak Cabrera had that ability to foul off pitches at will until the pitcher either walked them or gave them the one they wanted.

Wasn't happy about the #3 thing until I learned he asked because when he came up as a SS in Milwaukee Trammell sought him out and gave him a lot of advice and he always appreciated it adn wanted to pay tribute.

9 hours ago, Walewander said:

I enjoyed Sheff while he was here - he hit some homers and stole some bases out of nowhere, and he had that fun confrontation with Fausto Carmona. If he wouldn't have gotten hurt, I think some things may have gone differently.

Fair enough, and maybe so. I’m forgetting the Carmona dust-up. Did he throw Sheff some high inside cheese more than once?

EDIT: it all just came back to me. I enjoyed that roster. Full of big leaguers (many who had illustrious careers, but had grown a bit long in the tooth). Funny to see young(er) V-Mart being held back by Miggy.