RatkoVarda

2019 Tiger Prospects

5 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

Mize going 7 days from his start last Sunday to his upcoming start this Sunday. Thursday there was no game. 

He only pitches on Sundays because he’s a god.

Candelario hit a grand slam, Castro and Rogers 2 hits apiece. Toledo up big in the 8th.

Rogers gonna be on a bus to Detroit soon if he keeps this up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kdog said:

Candelario hit a grand slam...

plus 3 walks in his 2 for 3...

5 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Rogers gonna be on a bus to Detroit soon if he keeps this up. 

Hopefully W. Castro as well. It won't be too much longer before it will be time for the Ronnie Rodriguez 15 minutes of MLB fame to come to a close. He can still run into one once in a while, but the K rate is much too high and the last couple of weeks his OPS has slumped down under 600. If he doesn't turn that around soon it just won't be enough bat to justify that glove.

2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Hopefully W. Castro as well. It won't be too much longer before it will be time for the Ronnie Rodriguez 15 minutes of MLB fame to come to a close. He can still run into one once in a while, but the K rate is much too high and the last couple of weeks his OPS has slumped down under 600. If he doesn't turn that around soon it just won't be enough bat to justify that glove.

Willi is hitting ground balls over 50% of his plate appearances. Willi has been very lucky.

9 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

Willi is hitting ground balls over 50% of his plate appearances. Willi has been very lucky.

Willi K’s way too much.  I think there was a reason that Cleveland was willing to move him for a journeyman OF, and not because Lindor was blocking him.

4 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Willi K’s way too much.  I think there was a reason that Cleveland was willing to move him for a journeyman OF, and not because Lindor was blocking him.

A K rate of 20-22% isn't too much.

4 minutes ago, TigerNation said:

A K rate of 20-22% isn't too much.

It’s 26% this season against more advanced pitching.

5 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

It’s 26% this season against more advanced pitching.

It's 22.3% on Fangraphs.

His K rate is up some at AAA over his career rate, which has been reasonable. With the Hen's he has K'd once per game, which would likely project to over 200/yr in the majors. The question is will it start to trend back down a bit as he meets the pitching level,  or is he now just up against his ceiling? He does walk some, which helps. 

On one hand you don't want to push a guy to a level that destroys him, on the other, when a guy is hitting 340 where he is there isn't much pressure to keep improving. In that situation it can be worthwhile to throw him the deep end of the pool for 50-100 PA just so he sees how much more he has to work on when he goes back down.

55 minutes ago, TigerNation said:

It's 22.3% on Fangraphs.

I know better not to get into a math battle with anyone, so I will defer.

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I know better not to get into a math battle with anyone, so I will defer.

Math fight!  Math fight!  I'll hold your jacket.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

Math fight!  Math fight!  I'll hold your jacket.

I'll step on his glasses.  

• Like 1

Cameron homers and is making some incremental progress in AAA.

Rogers homers again and Candelario is making better contact....guessing he's back up in a few weeks.

Rogers has a .900 OPS and 23HRs the past calendar year.   That's pretty impressive for a guy who's known for his defense.

9 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Rogers has a .900 OPS and 23HRs the past calendar year.   That's pretty impressive for a guy who's known for his defense.

He’s being pitched to like his Brandon Inge.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Lindor won’t be blocking anyone Cleveland prospects in a few years.

I was listening to the bless you boys podcast and they seem pretty down on the organization as a whole.

There really isn’t anyone to move up as far as pitching. As you don’t want to expose anyone or rush them. 

If I were running the Tigers I would just throwing things against the wall and seeing what sticks. There are some street free agents, none of them good. But sign a couple of one manages to put together a couple decent months you could possibly get a mid level prospect or something. Move up some AAAA guys with the same approach. Bullpens are a fickle thing and sometimes a guy who hasn’t shown much promise can get hot for a season.

2 hours ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

I was listening to the bless you boys podcast and they seem pretty down on the organization as a whole.

There really isn’t anyone to move up as far as pitching. As you don’t want to expose anyone or rush them. 

If I were running the Tigers I would just throwing things against the wall and seeing what sticks. There are some street free agents, none of them good. But sign a couple of one manages to put together a couple decent months you could possibly get a mid level prospect or something. Move up some AAAA guys with the same approach. Bullpens are a fickle thing and sometimes a guy who hasn’t shown much promise can get hot for a season.

Other than Mize and Manning, there isn't too much to be positive about.  Rogers' recent rise maybe.  Other than that, they've got nothing in the majors and only a couple of guys in the minors who appear to be star-level.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

. But sign a couple of one manages to put together a couple decent months you could possibly get a mid level prospect or something. 

You mean like Matt Moore, Tyson Ross, Josh Harrison, Jody Mercer? 

Is signing Phil Hughes either gonna provide anything ryan carpenter can't or provide performance worth trading? No. Why throw more money down the rabbit hole? 

Ethan DeCaster is in Toledo now.  I fear those who have to face him.

The draft is in a week.  I would expect that Vaughn would cost about slot level, so the Tigers might have to draft a couple of seniors in the top 10 rounds to find savings enough to overpay slot guys in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, like last year.  I'm guessing if it isn't Vaughn, they could draft either Bleday or especially Greene to a below slot deal.  Brady McConnell, a SS from Florida (I'd move him to CF) is a name to keep an eye on in the 2nd, and Hunter Barco, HS LHP, would probably go over slot.

8 hours ago, Buddha said:

Other than Mize and Manning, there isn't too much to be positive about.  Rogers' recent rise maybe.  Other than that, they've got nothing in the majors and only a couple of guys in the minors who appear to be star-level.

I like their bullpen arms.

6 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

You mean like Matt Moore, Tyson Ross, Josh Harrison, Jody Mercer? 

Is signing Phil Hughes either gonna provide anything ryan carpenter can't or provide performance worth trading? No. Why throw more money down the rabbit hole? 

The Moore injury isn’t unfortunate.  I wonder how recovery and rehab is going and if familiarity with the organization during this process might lead to another deal for 2019?

I think Ross was worth the gamble.  There is still time to turn things around, but not much time.  If they could get him strong for the first trip through the lineup maybe a team would send a lottery ticket for him to be a piece of their bullpen.  That’s probably the best case scenario now.

I suspect when Mercer is back, it’s likely in lieu of Rodriguez.  The bat was nice while it lasted, but my hunch is the Tigers don’t see it compensating the defense enough.  Stuff him in Toledo and he’s another infield option this season in case they need it in Detroit.

I suppose it’s possible Harrison gets jettisoned once Mercer is available, but I’m not sure the organization goes that route.  And then there’s Candelario who might be due back as well to possibly push Harrison off of the roster.