RatkoVarda

2019 Tiger Prospects

23 minutes ago, tigerbomb13 said:

Manning so far today:

6 IP, 1 H, 0 BB, 9 K

Ends the day with 7 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 10 K. 84 pitches, 63 strikes, 16 swinging strikes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't think Manning will be around when Mize gets to Erie.

Derek Hill (1.164 OPS) gets his 4th multi-hit game out of 6.

2-3, single, double, Sac, K, RBI, R.

2 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

I don't think Manning will be around when Mize gets to Erie.

Derek Hill (1.164 OPS) gets his 4th multi-hit game out of 6.

2-3, single, double, Sac, K, RBI, R.

What a bonus for the system if Hill can actually sustain this.

Mize gets 2 more starts in Lakeland I think.

I feel Manning will be in Erie through May, tho not if he keeps having starts like today's.

34 minutes ago, irvink said:

Mize gets 2 more starts in Lakeland I think.

I feel Manning will be in Erie through May, tho not if he keeps having starts like today's.

I actually think Mize stays a little longer. At least until it's warmer. I guess mid-May or so. 

JV was in Lakeland for 13 starts. That was way more time than he should have spent there, just using it as reference. Mize won't be there that long but we'll see. 

it's lining up that Mize, Burrows and Manning could all be in the Tiger's rotation at some point next season.  Faedo might not be far behind.

Lots of things can happen, but it is also the reason that you trade Boyd this year, if he can maintain his success.  Controllable for 3 more seasons with a low salary--he could command some good prospects.

17 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

it's lining up that Mize, Burrows and Manning could all be in the Tiger's rotation at some point next season.  Faedo might not be far behind.

Lots of things can happen, but it is also the reason that you trade Boyd this year, if he can maintain his success.  Controllable for 3 more seasons with a low salary--he could command some good prospects.

Burrows might very well be a bp guy. I think Boyd is exactly what they need right now. He'll be experienced when they are ready to contend, hopefully in a year or two. I guess it depends on what's offered but I'd have a real hard time trading him. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Burrows might very well be a bp guy. I think Boyd is exactly what they need right now. He'll be experienced when they are ready to contend, hopefully in a year or two. I guess it depends on what's offered but I'd have a real hard time trading him. 

Nyet!

2 hours ago, Yoda said:

I actually think Mize stays a little longer. At least until it's warmer. I guess mid-May or so. 

JV was in Lakeland for 13 starts. That was way more time than he should have spent there, just using it as reference. Mize won't be there that long but we'll see. 

Yeah, he just seems more polished than JV out of the gate. HI-A feels strictly warmup for him. If his next 2 starts are as good as his first two, it starts to feel pointless. We'll see soon enough.

If this team is in first or near first by late July,  and these pitchers continue throwing well, do they dare bring them up THIS year? 

Wait,  sorry.  For a minute there, I lost myself,  I lost myself.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yoda said:

More specifically... I'd rather hold onto Boyd until he gets pushed outta the rotation by the kids.

I'm with Yoda... I don't see the urgency to trade him... especially since tradeable assets this year will include Tyson Ross, Shane Greene, and Matt Moore. Somebody has to stay and pitch for the Tigers...

IMO, Boyd and Turnbull stay in the rotation until 2021, where not only Mize & Manning, and Burrows, should be there, but also... One of Faedo or Funk or Perez is able to push them out of the rotation. It doesn't make sense to trade Boyd before that happens...

14 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

More specifically... I'd rather hold onto Boyd until he gets pushed outta the rotation by the kids.

I'm with Yoda... I don't see the urgency to trade him... especially since tradeable assets this year will include Tyson Ross, Shane Greene, and Matt Moore. Somebody has to stay and pitch for the Tigers...

IMO, Boyd and Turnbull stay in the rotation until 2021, where not only Mize & Manning, and Burrows, should be there, but also... One of Faedo or Funk or Perez is able to push them out of the rotation. It doesn't make sense to trade Boyd before that happens...

You can never have too much pitching. 

3 hours ago, irvink said:

Yeah, he just seems more polished than JV out of the gate. HI-A feels strictly warmup for him. If his next 2 starts are as good as his first two, it starts to feel pointless. We'll see soon enough.

I had front row seats for JV in Lakeland. He was a straight-up stud. And was untouchable when he got to AA later that summer. Hard to say Mize is more polished than that but we'll see. 

edit: JV went 86IP, 1.86 ERA, 19BB, 104K in lakeland. 

1 hour ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

See Fulmer, Michael

I wouldn’t give Boyd away, but his value might never be higher come the trade deadline.  Better to sell high.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

See Fulmer, Michael

I wouldn’t give Boyd away, but his value might never be higher come the trade deadline.  Better to sell high.

Better to have good players when you need them. :)

Fair enough, but I’m not buying into our start.  I still think this is at least a 90-loss season, and believe we will be sellers at the deadline with some potentially attractive chips for a change, besides Boyd.

I don’t want any more Logan Shore’s or Grayson Long’s, but if we can fleece a team like what the White Sox did to the Cubbies, why not?  We have a system void at C, 1B, SS, possibly 2B, and leadoff.  

Anyone can bat leadoff and 2B/3B should be covered by Candy and Paredes. But yeah, there are a lot of holes, no doubt. They should also be able to spend once more of the prospects show that they're ready. In my heart I need to believe that it will be sooner than 2022. 

8 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Fair enough, but I’m not buying into our start.  I still think this is at least a 90-loss season, and believe we will be sellers at the deadline with some potentially attractive chips for a change, besides Boyd.

I don’t want any more Logan Shore’s or Grayson Long’s, but if we can fleece a team like what the White Sox did to the Cubbies, why not?  We have a system void at C, 1B, SS, possibly 2B, and leadoff.  

1st and 2nd I could agree with you - but with Rogers at C we have at least 1 highly regarded prospect there - Paredes, Castro, Alcantara and others lower in the minors it seems we have some prospects at SS.

At some point you have to keep your players rather than trading them all for prospects, otherwise the rebuild truly is forevermore.

19 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

1st and 2nd I could agree with you - but with Rogers at C we have at least 1 highly regarded prospect there - Paredes, Castro, Alcantara and others lower in the minors it seems we have some prospects at SS.

At some point you have to keep your players rather than trading them all for prospects, otherwise the rebuild truly is forevermore.

I don't see them trading Boyd. I do wonder if they do trade pitching - Ross and/or if Moore is not out too long, do they bring up a filler like Carpenter or give one of the child prodigies a shot?  I guess they have to trade two guys  before they are past Norris unless/until someone else is injured.

26 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I don't see them trading Boyd. I do wonder if they do trade pitching - Ross and/or if Moore is not out too long, do they bring up a filler like Carpenter or give one of the child prodigies a shot?  I guess they have to trade two guys  before they are past Norris unless/until someone else is injured.

I would be all for trading any of the older guys but it seems to me that someone like Boyd could play the "veteran" role on a young staff in 2 years or so.   Ross, JZ, Moore, Mercer, Harrison, etc if they get a decent offer then you move them. 

I'd love to see the young kids up but I think we need to be truly in the race to start their arb clocks this year.    But if by some miracle we are there in August why not?   We all know that there are just too many things that can go awry to not take a shot at winning when the chance is there.

The system is quite light on potential impact offensive players. If Boyd keeps this up, and can net them one at the deadline, they have to do it. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, irvink said:

The system is quite light on potential impact offensive players. If Boyd keeps this up, and can net them one at the deadline, they have to do it. 

If he keeps it up, I could see a deal for a high ceiling position player.  Otherwise, I would want them to keep him.  I wouldn't trade for a lower ceiling guy just because I was worried he couldn't sustain it in future years.  

34 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

If he keeps it up, I could see a deal for a high ceiling position player.  Otherwise, I would want them to keep him.  I wouldn't trade for a lower ceiling guy just because I was worried he couldn't sustain it in future years.  

Agree. I would not deal Boyd for depth prospects, which is why I thought he'd be a hard one to trade. You typically don't get high end prospects for back of the rotation guys. If he continues to look like more than that, Avila could do well flipping him at the deadline. 

Greene has the chance to bring back something good too if he continues at anything near his current pace. 1.5 seasons of Justin Wilson (+ a couple months of Alex Avila) brought back the best trade return of the Avila regime so far.