RatkoVarda

2019 Tiger Prospects

In a chat today on FG, Kiley predicted 40% chance Vaughn falls to pick 5. He said most scouts he talks to don't think he'd slide past us there.

He also did an alternative mock where Baltimore cuts a deal with Vaughn 1. And in that scenario, Tigers pass on Bleday to take Greene. 

If his intel is right there, it's Greene or Vaughn, tho things can always change. Less than 3 weeks away...

In the same chat he also made a remark about Vaughn could turn into a Cron type as a downside. And I also noticed on MLB Network that Sean Casey had similar college numbers as Vaughn, although Casey said that a shoulder injury/surgery sapped his power. I'm not against the Tigers drafting him, I want the best bat/player they can get, but there's still risks in drafting probably the safest bat in this draft.

12 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Long hours in a hot bath...

But remember to leave the toaster in the kitchen...

yeah - the hair dryer is useless, most have a GFCI built in now....

4 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

although Casey said that a shoulder injury/surgery sapped his power.

Always wondered why a guy that size developed so little power when we had him.

Even with that, Casey was a very good player, just had a short career. He was done at 30 - we got him too late.

Looks like time for Lugo to sink or swim. He has managed to get his walk rate from abysmal to passable at AAA, he is twenty-four with nothing left to prove in the minors.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Looks like time for Lugo to sink or swim. He has managed to get his walk rate from abysmal to passable at AAA, he is twenty-four with nothing left to prove in the minors.

It's my sincere belief this is the highest and best use for this year.   Instead of giving ABs to washed up veterans use the year to give the Lugos, Castros, RRs, Nikos, etc of the world an extended shot.   See if there are any keepers in that bunch before the next wave arrives.

8 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

In the same chat he also made a remark about Vaughn could turn into a Cron type as a downside. And I also noticed on MLB Network that Sean Casey had similar college numbers as Vaughn, although Casey said that a shoulder injury/surgery sapped his power. I'm not against the Tigers drafting him, I want the best bat/player they can get, but there's still risks in drafting probably the safest bat in this draft.

Yes, none of these guys are a sure thing (well, maybe Rutschman) and that is the risk with Vaughn. Which, if you're looking from a purely floor perspective, is still better than what the floor is for Greene.

But if Tigers take Vaughn and he becomes Cron while Greene becomes Bellinger, that would be a very sad outcome.

Callis with new Mock that has us with Vaughn. Rutschman-Witt are top 2. Rest of the relevant info:

3. White Sox: CJ Abrams, SS, Blessed Trinity Catholic HS (Roswell, Ga.)

If Rutschman did slide, he wouldn't get past Chicago. The White Sox are looking for up-the-middle players, which makes Abrams the favorite over college corner bats such as Vaughn.

4. Marlins: JJ Bleday, OF, Vanderbilt

Bleday, Vaughn and Florida high school outfielder Riley Greene could go 4-5-6 in just about any conceivable order. Miami's high-level executives may prefer a premium athlete like Abrams, but he may not get to No. 4. Vaughn is the reigning Golden Spikes Award winner and the best all-around hitter in the Draft, though Bleday and Greene aren't far behind and offer more defensive value.

5. Tigers: Andrew Vaughn, 1B, California

Detroit loves Greene but may find it difficult to pass on Vaughn. Arizona State outfielder Hunter Bishop also is in the mix.

6. Padres: Riley Greene, OF, Hagerty HS (Oviedo, Fla.)

Most of the teams at the top are scouting the same group of position players, and San Diego will take whichever one of the big six remains

.First time I've heard tigers linked to Bishop.

https://www.mlb.com/news/adley-rutschman-remains-favorite-to-go-no-1-in-mock-draft?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

On 5/16/2019 at 8:18 AM, LooseGoose said:

It's my sincere belief this is the highest and best use for this year.   Instead of giving ABs to washed up veterans use the year to give the Lugos, Castros, RRs, Nikos, etc of the world an extended shot.   See if there are any keepers in that bunch before the next wave arrives.

Only AA is keeping Gardy from turning this roster. I think Gardy is really pissed off.

Faedo knocked around today. 2nd not to great time out. Erie ended up losing 12-1. Alex gave up 5ER  in 4.1 IP, 3K 0BB, 10H, 1HR

Hill was 4/4 and scored Erie's only run. He is 14 for his last 43 with 2 HR to pull out of the slump he had fallen into after the hot start.

posted this in the regular season thread by mistake...but this TINNSTATTPPP or whatever the **** it is:

1 minute ago, kdog said:

posted this in the regular season thread by mistake...but this TINNSTATTPPP or whatever the **** it is:

Anything from him will be a bonus.  Let's hope Jake and Daz pan out.

1 hour ago, LooseGoose said:

Anything from him will be a bonus.  Let's hope Jake and Daz pan out.

He was supposed to be the centerpiece of the trade.

5 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

But you can't pin your trade hopes on pitching prospects because of the attrition rate.

27 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Yup, so let's hope the other 2 make up for it......otherwise the pill be even more bitter.

31 minutes ago, kdog said:

But you can't pin your trade hopes on pitching prospects because of the attrition rate.

maybe all the more reason to have gotten more for a pitcher with proven durability? 

9 minutes ago, LooseGoose said:

Yup, so let's hope the other 2 make up for it......otherwise the pill be even more bitter.

maybe they can covert him to a submarining reliever.

Perez, Manning, Burrows, Funkhouser, Faedo and Mize ...of those Top Pitching Prospects, only two are healthy and pitching well.  It really is something of a crap shoot

1 hour ago, Lei Pong said:

Perez, Manning, Burrows, Funkhouser, Faedo and Mize ...of those Top Pitching Prospects, only two are healthy and pitching well.  It really is something of a crap shoot

Hey now batting .333 gets you into the Hall of Fame

1 hour ago, Lei Pong said:

Another good reason not to trade proven MLB pitchers - Boyd and if they pick it up a bit Norris and Turnbull.

I’d like to see a healthy Fulmer back as well. I still think he’s a good rotation guy if he can find himself healthy again.